Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Jelly Is Sticky (a jiggly new Sokobon-like)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dojo_b
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
IP: Logged
icon Jelly Is Sticky (+4)  
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492620/Jelly_Is_Sticky/

I'm only one chapter in, but this game is clearly going to be a winner for fans of challenging motion-planning puzzles. The level designs are clever and creative so far and it has some of the most pleasingly glossy and tactile graphics of any game of its type.

Mechanically, you could consider it something like a top-down version of Qrostar's Jelly no Puzzle (or Yugo Puzzle), but with jellies capable of tearing. [added: actually there are several kinds of jellies with distinct properties.] It's a rich space of possibilities.

[Adding:] Having gotten the Normal Ending, I should say that getting that far is not too hard, possibly easier overall than Gunthro and the Epic Blunder. It's still worthwhile! Especially if you are open to being charmed by the variety of mechanisms the designers built up out of simple jellies.

[Last edited by dojo_b at 08-04-2022 03:07 PM]
06-21-2022 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Jelly Is Sticky (0)  
This looks a ton like some of the ancient lore of Heaven & Earth. Sold!

07-01-2022 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Really nice. Mostly not too hard for someone accustomed to DROD. Cute and well polished.
07-06-2022 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
This was a very fun game! I especially enjoyed the 7th and 8th areas, both in the main atrium and in the post game.
07-12-2022 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dojo_b
Rank Points: 31
The game designers (David Rhee and Elyot Grant, each with significant math or CS-theory backgrounds) quite evidently had fun building up some elaborate logic/control gadgets out of jelly squares. They produce all kinds of access-control structures, any-3-out-of-5 collection requirements, one-way doors, etc. If you are familiar with NP-hardness reductions, especially for sliding-puzzle-type domains, this is very much the kind of gadget vocabulary you learn to build with. What's interesting is that here, rather than design them, you are presented with them and have to wrap your head around what they actually do and how to manipulate them successfully.

It's a distinctive puzzle flavor, not one that dominates the whole experience, but one that particularly structures the overworld maps (which are, of course, themselves puzzles). I like it, especially as a change of pace from puzzle games that more freely and directly introduce "new-rule" mechanics. One might lament that the game doesn't directly teach the full range of problem-solving that was involved in its puzzles' construction; but it at least suggests some general ideas about gadget-design to anyone who pauses to reflect.

[Last edited by dojo_b at 08-03-2022 05:13 PM]
08-03-2022 at 05:12 PM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
I'm mostly done with this and agree that it's well-designed and fun. Is there a way to shift that U-shaped white piece that just precedes the postgame to the right to get down the otherwise pointless long path to the left? I assume so and I can envision how to do it, but I can't see where to get the necessary tools from. In particular I feel like I need a yellow square, but the only one in the overworld map (one of the star rewards) seems inaccessible.

[Edited to add] Never mind. I just got there and it's far less interesting than what I'd been trying. Not bad, just far less interesting.

[Last edited by Gordius at 08-04-2022 12:30 PM]
08-04-2022 at 09:46 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Jelly Is Sticky (a jiggly new Sokobon-like)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com