Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kikuchiyo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged
icon Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro (+2)  
I wanted to purchase the yearly renewal of my Caravelnet membership, but I couldn't: when I click on the "Buy now" link, I get redirected to the payment site, but the browser doesn't let me continue, displaying the following notification:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to secure.bmtmicro.com. Unsupported hash algorithm used by TLS peer.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_HASH_ALGORITHM

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Can you please notify their sysadmin, and ask them to drag their SSL setup to the 21st century?

(I'm trying from Firefox under Linux, but I think any up-to-date, modern browser will respond with a similar error message.)
09-13-2021 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro (+2)  
I'm leaning towards either a glitch they've already fixed, or something more local to your setup/network/ISP. Works fine for me in Firefox 92 for Windows, and https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=secure.bmtmicro.com shows fairly modern crypto without any support for legacy stuff.
09-14-2021 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kikuchiyo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro (+3)  
It turns out that the flavor of linux matters: Fedora, which I'm using, has recently made their system-wide crypto policies more strict. As a result, some sites appear broken, no matter the browser.

I'm not quite sure what part of BTMicro's setup was found wanting, but a potential workaround is to temporarily weaken the system crypto policy:
sudo update-crypto-policies --set DEFAULT:FEDORA32

Then restart the browser, do your stuff, then
sudo update-crypto-policies --set DEFAULT

when done.
09-14-2021 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro (+1)  
Wow, good to know. I'm all for having secure crypto, especially with our payment processors. Meanwhile, I appreciate you posting a workaround.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-21-2021 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Caravelnet activation purchase does not work because of SSL error on redirect to BTMicro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com