Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
IP: Logged
icon ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East (0)  
Not a single clue what to do in any of the rooms in this level to be honest. But I wanted to start with this one.

I don't know what to do here.
08-12-2021 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East (+2)  
If you're having trouble with this level in general, you might be confused about some of the nuances of brained movement.

So here are some basic rules:
-Brains treat force arrows as an obstacle.
-Brains do not treat orthosquares as obstacles, and assume they can be traversed diagonally.
-Brains do not treat most monsters as obstacles. However, they do consider dead golems/constructs to be obstacles, as well as snake and gentryii bodies (but not heads).
-Because of these differences between what moves the brain thinks a monster can make and what moves it can actually make, you can sometimes confuse a monster into making an unbrained move. However, monsters that move like golems will never do this, staying still if they cannot make the move the brain wants them to. I could go into more detail on how this works, but off the top of my head I don't think the specifics here are important for any of the rooms.

In this particular room, the main relevance of these points is that the construct in the main area will believe it has a path to you when you cross the force arrow, due to the orthosquares and wubbas. This means it will continue to make brained moves.

So, perhaps it would be helpful to think about how you could confuse it, and what you could accomplish by doing that.
08-12-2021 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East (0)  
Thank you for hints but I think that this video is also useful

Massive thanks for Daniel Higgins. I would have never thought of that solution on my own. Shows how little I understand DROD, despite beating every official hold that there is.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 08-17-2021 10:55 AM]
08-17-2021 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 597
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East (0)  
Illusionist wrote:
Massive thanks for Daniel Higgins. I would have never thought of that solution on my own. Shows how little I understand DROD, despite beating every official hold that there is.

No worries! Glad that these videos helped you out. Brained movement can be very arcane and is definitely one of the most multi-faceted mechanisms in all of DROD. Brained movement is also one of the things which is elaborated on the least in official holds (which is a shame IMO because there are lots of super cool things that can be done with it). I've done a lot of experimenting architecture-wise with what can be done with brains and so I like to think that I've got a pretty decent understanding of how to solve rooms such as these. Unfortunately, if this type of thing isn't something you've seen before, solving rooms like this can be a steep learning curve - I tried to explain my thought process when solving these so hopefully that is also helpful.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-17-2021 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : ...she'll carry a really big sword. : Grumbling at the Evil Brains : 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com