Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (It is released.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (+14)  
UPDATE 1/1/22 - the full game is now released.

I'm a little tired, but happy...

The Godkiller - Chapter 1 now has a demo available!

download page on Steam

Officially, this is the first public beta of The Godkiller. The first 12 levels are media-complete and available for you to play. We've got puzzles. We've got story. A ton of new music, voice acting, songs, animated character faces. You'll see many of the same things you like about DROD in this game.

To play, you'll need a Steam account. Go to the Godkiller's download page on Steam. Once you've logged in to Steam, you'll see a big "Request Access" button. Click on it and follow instructions to download the game.

You are not obliged to write bug reports, but I certainly do welcome them. We're running that over on the Seespace Labs Discord server. Having all the feedback in one place there helps me keep track of things better. The voice actors and alpha-testers also hang out in the Discord, so we've got a great community going.

If you are moved to stream The Godkiller or upload videos, that is fantastic. My least favorite part of making a game is the struggle to get attention for it. Every little bit helps.

The full game is still on track for January 1st, 2022.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 01-02-2022 01:30 AM]
08-04-2021 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (+3)  
For anyone who might be put off by the 'Request Access' prompt, just go ahead and click it -- approval for me was instant.
08-04-2021 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (+2)  
Thanks, Tuttle. I updated the instructions to reflect what you described.

-Erik

08-04-2021 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (+1)  
Erik, I played through the demo in one sitting and had a good time. :thumbsup

No bugs to report; I'll share my review of the demo here. Knowing a bit of the kinds of things you devote attention to, which make your developed work more than just a polished game, but also intentional craft that could be considered art, I looked for those touches along the way.

I chose to wait till this moment to come into the game mostly fresh, except for the bits you've shared openly here. I'll share my thoughts about my experience, because I'm guessing you want to hear it all.

The loading image worked. I liked the aesthetic. It was a few moments. Nothing annoying, but seeing it multiple times, I'd probably want to have some visual progression to keep my mind engaged on startup. (Kids these days, eh?)

I enjoyed the intro that brought me straight into the world. I liked starting play right there from the beginning, then being brought in further. Having a clutter-free UI kept me immersed.

Visuals and colors were engaging and the lines felt crisp, making it clear this is a puzzle game.

Enjoyed the dialog. Emm seems to react as an every-woman might. God is wonderfully...hmm...British in his theatrics. I love it already :)

The Biblical satire right up-front was a hoot. The mood seemed light and not serious. I immediately didn't take this god seriously, and it seems Emm isn't about to either.

Puzzles started nice and easy. A few puzzles in, I found a present! Then I realized there is more to this place than the areas the obvious spaces are enticing me toward. I like the use of vertical space to make puzzles and hide secrets.

Climbing up and down stairs is fun, and flinging myself lets me move around about as fast as I want to, while also making for some nice puzzles.

The music and sounds were fascinating! Movement sound effects were satisfying and quickly became a natural part of the immersion.

Emm's rapid step animation looks good. From past work, I believe I know what you're going for here. As a matter of personal preference, it feels a bit too jerky to me. I like the smoothness of stepping moves made in, say, Smart Moves better.

I think the camera angle works and the camera generally does a good job of showing what needs to be shown and obscuring what needs to be obscured. Though I didn't take the time to carefully experiment, I think I perceived spots where the camera expanded its view to show off more of the area from that point on, once I had advanced sufficiently to cover paths less travelled. There were some spots where it seemed the camera's view was specifically limited, or rather the areas specifically shaped, to intentionally obscure necessary details until I made the effort to explore and find what I needed. This felt like an interesting design, like being shown a stage where a play is unfolding.

I like the clean interface and minimal settings required. Let's me just focus on playing.

The incremental introduction of game elements felt like a good pace for the demo. It took me a moment to figure out how letter blocks worked, and then it started to feel safe to play with them however I wanted. I like the mechanics. How you crafted the "secret" words felt intuitive and it was gratifying to discover and identify what I'm supposed to do with them.

It took me a while to realize I couldn't kill(?) that squirrely guy by walking around in the main chamber. It took me getting frustrated with trying to make him go where I wanted before I decided to try something else and look around some more. I both liked the and hated the ambiguity and experience of how God was being so reassuring in such a pushy, even aggressive, way in this area. To say nothing about the command from on-high to kill an innocent wretch. The things he said became hilarious, but I chose to turn the sound down momentarily when it got to the point that I felt I was being brainwashed :)

I kept looking for more presents and held some intention to seek them out. I found nearly all of them after the first one I spotted. I like how Emm calls attention to one at some point so the player becomes aware of their existence before too long.

The "pit of despair" ;) : At first, I was intimidated by this puzzle. I was thinking that I was supposed to bring the blocks uphill...somehow. Maybe by...stacking them? And then flinging them onto the next tier? After a moment of that nonsense, I realized that couldn't possibly be what you're after, and I brought everything downhill.

I liked the song. My attention was split between listening to the song and looking at the singers and beginning to take in the puzzle. Maybe the singers actually made me fear this puzzle more than Emm did. She reassured me I could do this and it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Voice sound clips: there were a couple places where what someone was saying was immediately cut off, and I would have liked to have finished listening to what they said (because I followed the recommendation to keep subtitles off, and I didn't have the benefit of reading the line they were about to say). IIRC, one such spot was at the Forks, when I stepped forward -- too close -- when the song had just ended. I assume I wasn't supposed to do that, but I hadn't given the queen time to articulate her expectations before sound jumped forward to her reprimand.

The linear ordering of puzzle areas to restore to works with the amount of content in the demo. Wondering how this will be organized to manage navigating the full game's content efficiently and keeping track at a glance of which presents I've obtained.

I like the ending screen! Your humor works well for me in this space you've created.

I left the experience wanting more. I think this is great for a demo: feels like the right amount of content and time for a demo, to experience the game, the world, the visuals, the characters, and gather some feelings of what the experience was like.

Questions I'm left with: what are God's motivations? Why keep Emm and everyone else in this place? Do people really die?

I felt safe solving these puzzles. I didn't worry about dying. Puzzle size felt right. Amount of time spent in each puzzle felt right. The types of puzzles felt familiar, yet fresh.

I liked looking at the backgrounds and hints of immense spaces looming behind the immediate puzzle area.

I liked the title for each area. Some of the area names made it feel that there is a logical progression for the locale Emm is going through. As the player, reflecting afterward, I would have liked to understand a bit more about the place I was in. Do these places comprise a logical space, or is it just like Alice in Wonderland, going from one odd encounter to another? Given there is a story, having a concrete goal and destination made clear up-front (even if it's just the first milestone of many) would give my mind something to look forward to in addition to clearing puzzles. Not a lot of exposition needed; just a bit to explain where Emm is going and why she's motivated to move forward. How/why she has faith in the first place that moving forward will take her somewhere. Or is she just curious? Exploring? Does she have a destination in mind? Is she trying to run away from God? To get back to her previous life (assuming she's really in an afterlife)? Just a rat in a maze?

Looking forward to the full experience! Want to know what happens between Emm and God. Looking forward to more puzzle elements. More stairs, and more spaces that are interesting to look at and move around in. It's on my wishlist for 2022!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-10-2021 07:21 AM]
08-10-2021 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Erik, I played through the demo in one sitting and had a good time. :thumbsup
I didn't want to put pressure on you earlier, but it means a lot to me that my old DROD-brother would enjoy the game.
God is wonderfully...hmm...British in his theatrics. I love it already :)
I was originally going to do the voice of God, but the people auditioning for other parts so obviously outclassed me that I knew I needed to recast. Very happy with Martin Beadle's performance there. Getting that character right really mattered to him.
The Biblical satire right up-front was a hoot. The mood seemed light and not serious. I immediately didn't take this god seriously, and it seems Emm isn't about to either.
Some of the jokes like this one actually work much better for people like you with a religious background. The first time I read those long passages in the Bible with "X begat Y" format, it cracked me up. There's a few other jokes like this further in the game, and some light jabs at cliches of Christian culture that, ironically, only Christians or people that know them well are likely to appreciate.
Puzzles started nice and easy. A few puzzles in, I found a present!
This is my device for going after casual and hardcore puzzle gamers at the same time. It's pretty much the same thing as the optional secret rooms/challenge tokens in DROD, but more formalized. The main puzzle should be moderate difficulty, and every level has exactly one present, to represent the harder challenge. I don't know yet how well it will work with the more casual gamers.
Emm's rapid step animation looks good. From past work, I believe I know what you're going for here. As a matter of personal preference, it feels a bit too jerky to me. I like the smoothness of stepping moves made in, say, Smart Moves better.
I hadn't seen Smart Moves before - it's got a nice bouncy look to it. The animation for stepping games like DROD or GK is a trickier problem than most gamedevs would think it is.

My approach begins with the idea that the player should never have to wait for an animation to finish. The game should be ready to receive and respond to the next command of the fastest human player. I think this principle is good because when I watch people like Schik or Dan Pugh play, they streak through the levels super-fast to the point where they even rely on their mental models of where things are without waiting for the visuals to confirm.

But there's still a small window of time that you can have animation because it takes time to release a key and press it again. You can press a key rapidly about 10 times/sec, which gives 100ms to play the movement animation. 16 frames at 60FPS.

That's enough time for a "settling animation", where the main result of an action movement happens on the first frame and the animation just shows the aftermath/inertia of it.

But it's not visually ideal, I admit. I've set the slider on a tradeoff all the way to one side - responsiveness. I don't think I'm done figuring this one out. It's a proper hard problem.

It took me a while to realize I couldn't kill(?) that squirrely guy by walking around in the main chamber. It took me getting frustrated with trying to make him go where I wanted before I decided to try something else and look around some more.
Yeah, this scene is tricky. I am a bit worried about combining a player not knowing what to do and getting badgered by God at the same time.

I'm considering some alleviations.
I chose to turn the sound down momentarily when it got to the point that I felt I was being brainwashed :)
I definitely did that while playtesting some things.
The "pit of despair" ;) ... After a moment of that nonsense, I realized that couldn't possibly be what you're after, and I brought everything downhill.
Yeah, that ends up being the first question to answer of most spelling puzzles in the game... "where will I spell the word?"
Maybe the singers actually made me fear this puzzle more than Emm did.
Interesting.
Voice sound clips: there were a couple places where what someone was saying was immediately cut off, and I would have liked to have finished listening to what they said (because I followed the recommendation to keep subtitles off, and I didn't have the benefit of reading the line they were about to say).
There is a bug where playing one sound can stop another sound from playing. It's been plaguing me for a while, and I really need to fix it.

Generally, all dialogue is handled in one of a few ways:
* It plays without interruption, and no action will interrupt.
* It isn't very important so it can be interrupted. There is an algorithm for picking a quiet place in the audio samples to stop at.
* The dialogue is resumable. Emm excuses herself as she leaves the speaker's vicinity, and when she returns, the conversation resumes. Approach detailed here - http://seespacelabs.com/2021/04/12/interruptible-dialogue/

The linear ordering of puzzle areas to restore to works with the amount of content in the demo. Wondering how this will be organized to manage navigating the full game's content efficiently and keeping track at a glance of which presents I've obtained.

It seems not bad for 60 levels. I will be honest - I am envious of the CaravelNet+level editor+scripting+hints+holds infrastructure you, Schik, and others put together. The wheels are turning in my head these days on scalability of level searching across multiple titles and unofficial content. Do I want to make a single "engine" like DROD has that's capable of playing everything in one executable? I get tired just thinking of the work involved.

Questions I'm left with: what are God's motivations? Why keep Emm and everyone else in this place? Do people really die?
Good questions that the story has answers to. I won't spoil it of course.
As the player, reflecting afterward, I would have liked to understand a bit more about the place I was in. Do these places comprise a logical space, or is it just like Alice in Wonderland, going from one odd encounter to another?
Yeah, there's a little more explanation coming in the game on this.
Given there is a story, having a concrete goal and destination made clear up-front (even if it's just the first milestone of many) would give my mind something to look forward to in addition to clearing puzzles.
It's a good point. Just a few levels later a "placeholder" goal is given by Emm. So I'm wondering if I want to extend the demo slightly or pull a little dialogue forward. I'll think about it.
Looking forward to the full experience!
Thanks, Mike. This was a very interesting take to read.

-Erik

08-10-2021 at 10:41 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I also played through the demo. I don't have nearly as detailed thoughts--it was a few days ago, and I didn't exactly take notes--but I can at least think of a few impressions that I had:

-Being somewhat of an auditory thinker and a musical person at heart/mind, I have the impression from the demo that this game is going to be sort of like a stepping-game puzzle game mixed with a semi-avant-garde musical, and I'm there for that. I enjoyed all of the lyrical songs so far, and I will say that--in an auditory sense at least--that very much distinguishes godkiller's identity from DROD in my mind.
-The constant "It's okay" got on my nerves in that level before I even reached the main "puzzle" because I semi-accidentally zoomed myself off a cliff near the end of the walkup. But I get the impression that it's supposed to be irritating, so I'm not sure this qualifies as a complaint.
-On the slightly more "complaint" side, the "Despair" level bugged me because there was dead silence during the majority of my playing through it, since I slowly traversed the area exploring during the musical number and mostly stopped moving during the dialogue. I wondered if there wasn't some way to move over to "normal level music" once the musical number and adjoining dialogue were over. This probably still qualifies as a nitpick.
-I didn't understand the weird monkey thing climbing the wall in (I think) the second level, nor Emm's comment about it. She says something like "What's he doing there?", which made it sound to me like she recognized the monkey thing or something, or else like I was supposed to go investigate, but the former has no other evidence for it and the latter seemed to be impossible.
-I noticed presents as soon as the second level or so, and went obsessively looking for how to get them. I think I actually saw the present in the first level, but at the time I assumed it was something mandatory/story related, so I didn't go looking for how to reach it. I also just sort of didn't go back to that level to try to figure it out since.
-Obsessive present-seeking got me into trouble on the level where you spell "Bridge", because when I got to the "Egde" room I thought I needed to arrange those letters around the R respawn spot and then go find a way to make the R from "Bridge" respawn there by being far enough away from the "Bridge" respawn R (hopefully that makes sense). I did eventually realize that both of those tasks were impossible, and quickly found where the R was supposed to come from.
-As a Christian myself, I haven't seen anything that I would find remotely offensive yet. The """"story"""" in the first level was pretty funny.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-11-2021 01:07 AM]
08-11-2021 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Xindaris wrote:
-Being somewhat of an auditory thinker and a musical person at heart/mind, I have the impression from the demo that this game is going to be sort of like a stepping-game puzzle game mixed with a semi-avant-garde musical, and I'm there for that.
Cool. Yeah, there's a dozen full-vocal songs in the full game. Some of the songs are interactive as well, meaning things you do cause their content/timing to change.
-The constant "It's okay" got on my nerves in that level before I even reached the main "puzzle" because I semi-accidentally zoomed myself off a cliff near the end of the walkup. But I get the impression that it's supposed to be irritating, so I'm not sure this qualifies as a complaint.
It is supposed to be irritating, and is based on a head game I've seen a few people use in real life. But I think I've got it dialed up too far. I'm going to play with some options here.
-On the slightly more "complaint" side, the "Despair" level bugged me because there was dead silence during the majority of my playing through it, since I slowly traversed the area exploring during the musical number and mostly stopped moving during the dialogue.
Yeah, a good observation. I'll think about what I want to do there.
-I didn't understand the weird monkey thing climbing the wall in (I think) the second level,
Good!
nor Emm's comment about it.
Hmm. Not good.

My question below is worded so as not to spoil the full game experience for you.

Say you are in a weird afterlife place, and you see a guy hanging or climbing a wall that you don't recognize. And say you're not afraid of him. What are you going to say to him?

-As a Christian myself, I haven't seen anything that I would find remotely offensive yet. The """"story"""" in the first level was pretty funny.
I know I'm going to get somebody mad at me eventually, but I'm glad to see some people of faith enjoying the game.

-Erik

08-11-2021 at 01:52 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Thinking about it a little more, I think my confusion might stem from having the vague impression that what was hanging on the wall was an ape or monkey--so, an animal--and in my brain "unfamiliar animal" matches with slightly different phrasing from "unfamiliar person". I guess I would use words like "that monkey" or "that creature" in the former, or maybe "that thing", but that strays toward a negative connotation a bit.
If it's supposed to be that Emm perceives an unfamiliar person then "What's -he- doing up there" works fine, although something like "what's -that guy- doing up there" makes it even more clear (to me at least) that she doesn't recognize him. Word/phrasing choice is extravagantly tricky at times, and it may be a question of what sounds most natural from the character's personality.

It doesn't help my rambling about this that I don't actually remember the wording used, just my impression of it. This may be best taken with a grain of salt. Is the actual line in second person ("what are -you- doing up there")?

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-11-2021 04:10 AM]
08-11-2021 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Xindaris wrote:
It doesn't help my rambling about this that I don't actually remember the wording used,
You were very close. The line is...

Emm wrote: Huh? What is he doing up there?

If I have other pick-ups to record again, I might change it to something like your sensible suggestion... "what is that guy doing up there?"

-Erik

08-11-2021 at 03:32 AM
ErikH2000
I ended up adding some random silence intervals to God's infinite cajoling in Little Arena. I think it's the right balance of pushiness now.

That change will go into the next update of the Steam demo.

-Erik

08-13-2021 at 12:40 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
I really want to play that. I don't have a steam account, but I guess that I have to make one.
09-06-2021 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (+8)  
It is released now. I'm happy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/?utm_source=caravel&utm_campaign=sig

-Erik

01-02-2022 at 01:29 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
ErikH2000 wrote:
It is released now. I'm happy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/?utm_source=caravel&utm_campaign=sig

-Erik

Congrats! :) :)
And now, the inevitable patch.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-02-2022 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
disoriented wrote:
And now, the inevitable patch.
Oh, yes. There will be a patch. I know of two bugs already that make me upset.

-Erik

01-02-2022 at 01:36 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Any bugs notwithstanding, I do plan to watch a Let's Play of this game soon.

I probably won't play the game myself, mostly because I am not good enough at puzzle games to get through it.

I hope the concepts and thoughts presented by the game challenge me mentally.

I know for a fact that the game will make me laugh.

I hope the game offends me in some way, although I suspect it probably will not. I'm quite difficult to offend.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-02-2022 06:51 AM]
01-02-2022 at 06:50 AM
ErikH2000
disoriented wrote:
I probably won't play the game myself, mostly because I am not good enough at puzzle games to get through it.
Well, do as suits you - I won't try to change your mind.

But one of the things that bothered me about DROD was the gap between what hardcore puzzle people and more casual players wanted for difficulty. I always felt like I couldn't please both groups. So with GK, I made each level solvable an easy way or a hard way.
I hope the game offends me in some way, although I suspect it probably will not. I'm quite difficult to offend.
Maybe I'll add some more offensive stuff in the next patch. Like baby-stomping, schwastikas, and macro-aggressions. :)

-Erik

01-02-2022 at 07:04 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
ErikH2000 wrote:
But one of the things that bothered me about DROD was the gap between what hardcore puzzle people and more casual players wanted for difficulty. I always felt like I couldn't please both groups. So with GK, I made each level solvable an easy way or a hard way.
In DROD this can be achieved to a certain extent with the implementation of challenges.

My stuff:

01-02-2022 at 07:57 AM
ErikH2000
NoahT wrote:
In DROD this can be achieved to a certain extent with the implementation of challenges.
Yes. Basically, I brought the general difficulty down on the levels, but each level has a challenge. And sometimes, the "challenge" has its own extra area of the level.

-Erik

01-02-2022 at 04:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Godkiller - Chapter 1 (It is released.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com