Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Will you be buying JtRH? (What are your plans when JtRH comes out?)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What are your plans when JtRH comes out?
Buying it straight away
Probably going to buy it
Will play the free part and see if its worth it
Probably not going to buy it
Definitely won't buy it
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: Will you be buying JtRH? (0)  
What I meant was that it's sort of impossible to try to wipe out piracy using idealism, so we need to find a point in between the extremes where we can balance preventing piracy (or anything else) with acceptance of the limitations of our powers to do so. Yes, we must deter, discourage, and protect software from piracy as much as we can, but we can't go right to the idealistic extreme end (unless you happen to be a dictator-style demi-god) and wipe it out completely. The compromise is that there must come a point where you've got to stop, view the reality of your limitations and our society, and step back, letting what you can't do pass by.

I personally hate stealing of any form, and try to dissuade people I know from doing it, as well as try not to leave things lying around for people to steal. In the end, however, what else can I do? Campaign to stop stealing forever? Perform capital punishment on those who do it? It's not morally right in any way, but above a certain level, there's nothing more I can do, so I accept it as a part of life I must face, and move on.

Of course, you could argue, "where is that limit? Do I just give up?", and I understand that sometimes a bit of idealism can be the ignition for a whole new revolution no-one thought possible, but that's for you to decide. Analyse yourself; seek your limits and maybe find out what you can really do.

Who knows? Maybe you might one day do the unthinkable.

[I am (literally!) trembling in my chair that this post may go the wrong way and be taken as an attack on someone, so I'll say now that I mean no offence to anyone, and I'm certainly not trying to start another flamewar. Hopefully we can all be friends again once we've cleared up this issue.]

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 04:08 AM: removing my unwanted stuff]

03-23-2005 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Will you be buying JtRH? (+1)  
Group hug!

:group

- Gerry
03-23-2005 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Will you be buying JtRH? (+1)  
agaricus5 wrote:
I have a question about the Caravel.net registration.

Will it be on a per-player basis; i.e. each player will need his or her own subscription, or can several different people use the same connection?
When you buy JtRH, you get one CaravelNet account and one user license to play the game. You are legally entitled to have one person playing the game, but it doesn't have to be the same person. For example, you and your sister can both play JtRH, just not at the same time.

Carrying the example further, you and your sister could both use the same CaravelNet account, but not at the same time. In fact, Schik wrote it so that only one connection using a single CaravelNet account is possible. Another disadvantage to piggybacking multiple people on one CaravelNet account, is that your achievements and high scores won't be stored separately on the server. Note that you can create multiple users on one DROD installation like you can now, and only have one of them (the one you use) make use of your CaravelNet account while the others (presumably for other people) are strictly offline.

I'm 90% sure I got all that right. Schik, Mike, feel free to step in and check me.

-Erik

03-23-2005 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
all right 19$ is an acceptable price. But erik tell me, Can you give me one way for how to 'buy' the downloadable game? of course, Me and any stranger cannot have the 'CD and the other options' for 24$ (only if we order it).
03-29-2005 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Dali wrote:
all right 19$ is an acceptable price. But erik tell me, Can you give me one way for how to 'buy' the downloadable game? of course, Me and any stranger cannot have the 'CD and the other options' for 24$ (only if we order it).
I may misunderstand you, Dali. To buy the downloadable game, there will be a web page that will take your order and give you a download link. Would that not work for you?

-Erik

03-29-2005 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Will you be buying JtRH? (What are your plans when JtRH comes out?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com