Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Custom Element Contest Compilation (Custom Elements!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.0/10 (1 votes)
σ 0.00
Author Name:Xindaris
Submitted By:Xindaris
Hold Name:The Custom Element Contest Compilation
Theme:Custom Elements!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:217
Number of Monsters:2335
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Custom Element Contest Compilation.hold (404.4 KB)
Downloaded 233 times.
License: Other
icon The Custom Element Contest Compilation  
After some excessive delay brought on by the compiler's overambitious ideas, the compilation is finally published!

For the Custom Element Contest, entrants were asked to create a custom element along with a level to show off how it could be used in puzzles. There are 14 entries in all, with many fun levels and cool elements on display.

The hold is "anyone edit", so you can copy out and play with the custom elements right away if you want! If it's in this contest, you have permission to use it in your hold. Also check the hold thread for updates to the elements.
05-23-2021 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: The Custom Element Contest Compilation (+1)  
Issue with That Familiar Feeling 4E: If you enter the lower side of the room from the bottom tile, the cutscene messes up and you can't advance. Instead of Beethro being teleported, a golem character is and then Beethro appears, and all he can do is get stuck. I believe this was a problem in the original entry as well.

I think this was supposed to be something where a golem dies and somehow produces a girkle, explaining how Beethro escapes? Entering from either of the northern tiles just results in Beethro going through a girkle and escaping.

Also, the Entrance and 1E on this level should probably be marked unscorable. There's technically a puzzle in 1E, but it's mostly story and then all you do is push a mirror.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 05-23-2021 07:26 PM]
05-23-2021 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Horticultural Headache: Entrance is just a cutscene, so it should probably be unscorable.
05-24-2021 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Please mark That Familiar Feeling: 2 North unscoreable.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-25-2021 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
The Entrance in When Mass Production Breaks should also probably be marked unscorable.
05-25-2021 at 03:00 AM
Dragon Fogel
When Mass Production Breaks 2N1E: This should be checked in the 5.1.1 beta, as it may not be solvable with pending changes to aumtlich beams.

Edit: Tested in the beta myself. Room still works, I was just getting mixed up. The change which might have been relevant only really matters when there are multiple aumtlich beams.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 05-25-2021 07:48 AM]
05-25-2021 at 05:28 AM
Dragon Fogel
Pixie Desert: Entrance should be unscorable.

Pulse Cannon Testing Track: Entrance is just a trivial conquer token passage accessed after clearing other rooms. Should probably be marked unscorable.

Looking through the editor, all other rooms that should clearly be unscorable seem to be.
05-28-2021 at 12:33 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
I have a complaint.

Some of the customs elements are not explained/introduced properly, like the rusty-looking roaches in two-headed serpent, I don't know what they are actually doing. The best elements in regards to explanation are koopa, conveyor and briar seeding

And I have no clue how to beat net catcher introduction room as well to be honest. The element seems straightforward, but the puzzle is flabbergasting to say the least.

And that's how we come to the second point. As a whole the hold becomes frustratingly difficult rather quickly. It seems like you guys weren't wasting time in pushing the ideas to the limit. But the difficulty certainly takes away some of the fun. I did not like the fire traps and the bazooka ones at all, almost instantly.

I did like the swampy basement (even if I still have to beat it). And the pulse cannon deserved being highly placed, but not necessarily for the originality, but rather the puzzles and the way it was implemented. This one is the most fun imo. And the pixie one is also pretty impressive and unique, albeit also... pretty strange.

The darts one felt unoriginal at first glance, but it had a nice puzzle twist, but I won't lie, it will be a miracle if I beat any of these rooms.

Overall, a very ambitious project. Certainly something that will make people scratch their heads

[Last edited by Illusionist at 05-28-2021 01:54 PM]
05-28-2021 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Custom Element Contest Compilation (+3)  
This was an architecture contest, so the entries are presented as they were during the voting period. As such, it's on each individual architect to introduce their element properly. Typically, contest compilations such as this one feature a bunch of rooms that were built quickly and that didn't receive much (or any) testing.

Your complaint is definitely valid though. I'm just giving an excuse for why things ended up the way they did.

05-28-2021 at 01:43 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: The Custom Element Contest Compilation (+4)  
For convenience, here are descriptions of the custom elements in all the entries. This is ordered by placement, starting from 12th place and working up to first. This does not give the full details on all the elements, but should cover anything not explained by the entries themselves.

Click here to view the secret text

05-28-2021 at 03:12 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Either the entrance to Horticultural Headache has a really long cutscene (like, many thousands of moves long), or there's a bug in my version of DROD, or it's missing something to end the cutscene.

EDIT: deleting the hold and re-downloading seems to have fixed it. I wonder if there was some interference from either an old save, or some scripting somewhere else.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 06-02-2021 12:01 AM]
06-01-2021 at 10:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Custom Element Contest Compilation (Custom Elements!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com