Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Streaming Finding the First Truth (announce)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Streaming Finding the First Truth (+4)  
So, as I mentioned in a certain other thread, I'm planning to begin streaming a new thing this Saturday (i.e., tomorrow). That new thing is a blind playthrough of Finding the First Truth, which will basically be my first experience with a smitemaster selection that is not included with one of the 5 "main games". As of right now, the things I know about FtFT are that it is a smitemaster's selection and Chaco was responsible for the architecture. I probably knew more than that at some point, such as where in the continuity it belongs, but I forgot that information!

To not waste your time too much, the stream will be in the usual place: https://www.twitch.tv/xindaris
It will be at my usual time, that is, Local Time:05-15-2021 at 08:00 PM

This will be different from the alphabet streams, because instead of just trying out a hold, I am aiming to finish it. I don't know whether I'll do all the secrets (if they exist), but I'll at least give those a try, too. I won't try to power through things and get a ton done at once; I'll try to be a lot more patient and thoughtful, and may be quieter sometimes as a result.

Because of these differing expectations, I'll also ask for something a little different from viewers. Basically, I want to try to solve things on my own, and have chat act in place of going to the H&S board if I'm really, completely stuck. So: If you know what the solution is, then please refrain from giving hints unless I ask for them. If you don't know the solution and I seem lost, suggesting things to try is fine; if you know the solution but think you can "get away with" suggesting something to try (especially if it won't work but will help point me in the right direction somehow) then I guess I won't really know the difference? I'm also okay with pointing out why something I'm trying has already failed, for example if some enforcement mechanism I didn't notice has already made the room unsolvable--but please don't tell me "that won't work" unless it's something like that, where all I would have to do is look at a region of the room I'm not focusing on to very obviously see it for myself.

I'm thinking that, if this goes well, I might finally force myself to purchase more smitemaster's selections and go through some of those in a similar way. But: One step at a time.

(This part is silly as I write it, but will be good to edit things into in the future...)
Next FtFT stream: IT'S OVER!

Here are some convenient links to the archived streams, if you want them: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b]

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-21-2021 04:08 PM]
05-14-2021 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Streaming Finding the First Truth (0)  
Nice! I'll try and make it to those streams, maybe chipping in with some comments every now and then, too.

It's always a joy to see people play through the holds I make, so I can only hope the hold meets Xindaris' rigorous personal standards :)

05-15-2021 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Streaming Finding the First Truth (+1)  
Blind playthrough of Finding the First Truth? *Evil Grin*
Dr Xindaris, this one and Complex Complex are very... brave choices.

Finding the First Truth has some interesting plot that might still surprise you, even if you've beaten Second Sky. I speak from my own experience, because even if the intro to SS spoils this addon, beating it gave me a better idea about the point of certain vats.

Good Luck, one thing you should know - this hold starts off pretty tough with one of the most flabbergasting puzzle (at least in my opinion) in DROD history, and then gets much much much much better. Of course, there is a huge probability that you will figure it out instantly, you never know, but still...

Anyway, I bookmarked the link, and I will visit the stream, albeit the different timezone means that I probably should be there tomorrow early morning. Don't worry, don't expect any mercy from me with spoiling things. Nope, I will enjoy watching you figuring out the solution. I only hope that your brain won't fry :(

Chaco wrote:
It's always a joy to see people play through the holds I make, so I can only hope the hold meets Xindaris' rigorous personal standards :)

It should. Xindaris did TREFOIL, which has some similar ideas.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 05-15-2021 06:31 PM]
05-15-2021 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Finding the First Truth is the most approachable out of the harder SmS holds compared to something like Complex Complex or Beethro's Teacher. The puzzles are definitely tough, but it's nowhere near as mean as those. The open structure also means you won't be completely prevented from making progress for a long time.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-15-2021 09:49 PM]
05-15-2021 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Pinnacle wrote:
Finding the First Truth is the most approachable out of the harder SmS holds compared to something like Complex Complex or Beethro's Teacher. The puzzles are definitely tough, but it's nowhere near as mean as those. The open structure also means you won't be completely prevented from making progress for a long time.

And I'm not denying that, albeit Beethro's Teacher has the leverage of being pre-JtRH, and therefore less complex. IMO, Complex Complex is the hardest, with First Truth being the third after Teacher.

Anyway, it seems like I missed out the stream,:( going to watch it now. Only now I've realized that the time shown in the post was already translated to my time zone

EDIT: oh, I can reveal that the flabbergasting room was Decoy 1 East. Like I expected, yeah, you were flabbergasted to the flibbity flabbity flabber-flab point. It's good to know that I wasn't the only one who was flabbergasted beyond flabbity belief. You not understanding this room is a natural, healthy reaction.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 05-16-2021 06:52 AM]
05-16-2021 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
So, I sort of mentioned this during last Saturday's stream, but there's a thing going on with my family this coming Saturday. Said thing has uncertain timing because of traffic, and could cause me to not even be back until 4 (that is, 2 hours after the usual time I start streaming). I just don't know.

To deal with this, I could do one of three things: (1) Stream on Friday at that time (Local Time:05-21-2021 at 08:00 PM) instead; (2) stream on Sunday at that time (Local Time:05-23-2021 at 08:00 PM) instead; (3) hope things work out and just not stream this Saturday if I arrive too late to do so.

For people interested in watching, would either Friday or Sunday work (and which better)?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-18-2021 06:28 PM]
05-18-2021 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Sunday would work better for me; Friday at that listed time I'd still be at my 9-to-5 job so I'd miss the stream.

05-18-2021 at 06:09 PM
Xindaris
Um, okay, family has changed their mind since I made that post and now there is no such problem anymore. Editing first post with the usual Saturday time for the next stream. I'll keep this in mind in case something happens again, though. Sorry for the false alarm!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-19-2021 02:51 AM]
05-19-2021 at 01:56 AM
Illusionist
Xindaris wrote:
Um, okay, family has changed their mind since I made that post and now there is no such problem anymore. Editing first post with the usual Saturday time for the next stream. I'll keep this in mind in case something happens again, though. Sorry for the false alarm!

No problem. This time, I'll be there. Also, I agree with Chaco that in case of emergency, I also prefer sunday
05-20-2021 at 07:05 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Streaming Finding the First Truth (+3)  
Well, last Saturday we finished the hold! Went into the postmastery and everything.

I think this was overall a very fun and successful experience. There was some frustration, but I think that's normal for trying to 100% a hold "blind".

Starting next Saturday, I think I will have a go at doing an architecture stream; I'll post a new thread for that. But, in this thread, I'm open to suggestions as to which SmS I ought to plan to stream next (which would be sometime later down the line, not right away).

06-21-2021 at 04:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Streaming Finding the First Truth (announce)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com