Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Conqueror 940 AD
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TideGear
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
IP: Logged
icon Conqueror 940 AD (+3)  
Hello, fellow smitemasters! My name is Adam Milecki, and I am the world's second greatest salesman.

I recently rediscovered my love of DROD. This love dates back as far as my teenage years. However, I never finished any of the games. I’m changing that! I think I’m nearing the completion of Gunthro, and I intend to complete the whole series including RPG and the expansions. It’s been fun, soothing, and very nostalgic for me.

I even managed to sheathe my Really Big Sword and sneak DROD into the social media of the company I work for, Combat Wombat Studios. This leads me to the reason for my post (and the reason this isn’t in one of the main DROD boards), I want to share Conqueror 940 AD with you fine folk.

Conqueror 940 AD is a turn-based medieval town-builder that grows in complexity as you play. It’s a game that feels like it could have come out alongside the first few DROD games, and it may awaken some nostalgia in you. It’s currently in Steam Early Access, but it is complete. Now we are working through any bugs (no roaches, sorry) and adding more content before we do a full release sometime this month.

I humbly ask that you direct your eyes (embodied only, please) to the Steam page of Conqueror 940 AD and at least hit that wishlist button (at most buy it for everyone you know). Please feel free to ask me any questions here or at social@combatwombats.net. We are open to Let’s Players and streamers as well.

Finally, if you’d like to follow us everywhere (except home) check out our Linktree.

Thanks for your time!

[Last edited by TideGear at 03-12-2021 06:52 PM]
03-12-2021 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Conqueror 940 AD (+1)  
Hi, Adam!

Your kind words for DROD warm my heart. :)

I appreciate the DROD mention and thematic writing bits in your post. Thank you also for sharing your game here. I'm interested to take a look.

Congratulations on the release and good luck on Steam!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-12-2021 07:56 PM]
03-12-2021 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TideGear
icon Re: Conqueror 940 AD (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Hi, Adam!

Your kind words for DROD warm my heart. :)

I appreciate the DROD mention and thematic writing bits in your post. Thank you also for sharing your game here. I'm interested to take a look.

Congratulations on the release and good luck on Steam!

Thanks so much! I'm a little star-struck between you responding and Erik liking the tweet. Please do check out the game. I'd love to know what you think!
03-12-2021 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Conqueror 940 AD (+2)  
I played the game. It was fun, but had quite a lot of bugs, unbalances and weird behaviour. It was also hard to parse what all the stats did. In general it felt mostly as if "good stats are probably good somehow", but hard to make more strategic decisions than that.

I don't really know what the goal was, or what the winning requirements where, but I managed to get all other kingdoms to become my vasal states (except for one, that I beat in battle).

I don't really know exactly how interested you are in more detailed feedback :).
03-18-2021 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TideGear
Blondbeard wrote:
I played the game. It was fun, but had quite a lot of bugs, unbalances and weird behaviour. It was also hard to parse what all the stats did. In general it felt mostly as if "good stats are probably good somehow", but hard to make more strategic decisions than that.

I don't really know what the goal was, or what the winning requirements where, but I managed to get all other kingdoms to become my vasal states (except for one, that I beat in battle).

I don't really know exactly how interested you are in more detailed feedback :).

Blondbeard, I'm glad you had fun with the game, and I would love to hear your detailed feedback. We have a couple more weeks in Early Access, so there's still time to fix and tweak things before our big 1.0 launch. Please email me at social@combatwombats.net with your "bugs, unbalances and weird behaviour" and any other feedback. It's also worth mentioning that we have an open bounty on bugs. In other words, you can get rewards for unique bug reports.

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks a bunch!
03-18-2021 at 03:20 PM
TideGear
Conqueror 940 AD has finally left Early Access! We did it! It is v1.0! To celebrate, the game is 25% off for the week of launch!

04-02-2021 at 08:57 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
See? I told ya - Gunthro is very underrated and actually is a good entry point into DROD, I know, because I myself kinda started with Gunthro
04-04-2021 at 06:46 AM
TideGear
Illusionist wrote:
See? I told ya - Gunthro is very underrated and actually is a good entry point into DROD, I know, because I myself kinda started with Gunthro

Yeah, it's great! I completed it, and I'd estimate I did about 1/3 to 1/2 of the challenges. The extra challenge is there for those who want it. I'd like to complete all the challenges eventually. Gunthro has an interesting story too.

For now, I've advanced to KDD, and it's great too, but it is harder. Right now, I'm about to finish level 6, I think, and I've done almost all the challenges so far.
04-04-2021 at 07:00 AM
Illusionist
TideGear wrote:
Illusionist wrote:

Yeah, it's great! I completed it, and I'd estimate I did about 1/3 to 1/2 of the challenges. The extra challenge is there for those who want it. I'd like to complete all the challenges eventually. Gunthro has an interesting story too.

For now, I've advanced to KDD, and it's great too, but it is harder. Right now, I'm about to finish level 6, I think, and I've done almost all the challenges so far.

Wow, challenges are for experienced players to be honest, so I'm surprised you are attempting them at all! Journey to rooted hold is THAT (special) game. If you liked Gunthro, and played KDD, then JtRH is the game that will turn you into DROD for life. I know, because I've literally went through the same phase as you are now

[Last edited by Illusionist at 04-04-2021 08:28 AM]
04-04-2021 at 08:25 AM
TideGear
I've played a lot of puzzle and tactics games, and I'm decent at chess, so I guess my skillz (z is required) carried over.

I'm enjoying KDD, but I'm missing how story-laden Gunthro was. Does JttRH have more in the way of story?
04-04-2021 at 10:45 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
At the risk of derailing this thread, yes, JtRH has more story. Not a ton, and not nearly as much as TCB or TSS.
04-05-2021 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
JtRH is where the story actually starts big time.

More importantly, JtRH has an antagonist, and the kind of antagonist that you fall in love with,
Click here to view the secret text

And yes, KDD is kinda infamous for being a puzzle game, with some scarce story hints. It's the least story-driven game in the series.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 04-05-2021 04:05 PM]
04-05-2021 at 03:59 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Illusionist wrote:

This isn't quite accurate, depending on your definition of "the original game". The post-mastery level in KDD2.0 is an adaptation of the ending added in Caravel DROD 1.0/Architect's Edition. It wasn't in Webfoot though. The AE version of the ending was a hardcoded sequence that actually played back your demos instead of being a level though, so it doesn't work in later versions of the engine.

edit: spelling

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 04-05-2021 06:01 PM]
04-05-2021 at 04:19 PM
Illusionist
Pinnacle wrote:
Illusionist wrote:

This isn't quite accurate, depending on your definition of "the original game". The post-mastery level in KDD2.0 is an adaptation of the ending added in Caravel DROD 1.0/Architect's Addition. It wasn't in Webfoot though. The AE version of the ending was a hardcoded sequence that actually played back your demos instead of being a level though, so it doesn't work in later versions of the engine.

I must admit, I never had beaten architect edition. I wasn't aware of that. Now I have to beat AE

[Last edited by Illusionist at 04-05-2021 05:27 PM]
04-05-2021 at 05:25 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I really like the AE ending Erik envisioned. It was a bit of work to implement, but such a fun way for the player to take a victory lap and it felt almost magical to experience.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-07-2021 07:02 PM]
04-07-2021 at 07:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Conqueror 940 AD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com