Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Bar Stew
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Bar Stew (+1)  
A watched bar will never progress. And this one got to 80% before taking it's place on the main page.

01-11-2021 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Bar Stew (+1)  
I am happy to report Treacle Stew is less than 80% yellow door by volume. By weight is another story, perhaps, still awaiting measurement.

01-11-2021 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Bar Stew (0)  
Isn't the bar all yellow door?

Just placed illegally.
01-11-2021 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
I also measured the width of the bar's full section as 204 pixels wide, which is not a multiple of 22. So even if we assume the unfilled section continues offscreen, it still can never actually exist in a real DROD room.

01-11-2021 at 04:30 PM
averagemoe
80.5%

On a tangently related note, you don't want to know what treacle is made of.

01-19-2021 at 06:45 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
averagemoe wrote:

C12H22O11?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-19-2021 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
disoriented wrote:
averagemoe wrote:

C12H22O11?

Or perhaps C6H22O5C6O6 .

01-19-2021 at 10:17 PM
azb
Rank Points: 460
I believe by laws of algebra/chemistry the expressions are equivalent, but was that the joke?

01-20-2021 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
81% Finally, a nice whole number again! For now.

02-15-2021 at 05:59 PM
averagemoe
icon Re: Bar Stew (-5)  
I'd like to state for the record that backstage, I have just witnessed a character with a moderately large amount of dialogue get cast, but that this did not result in any visible movement of the bar.

03-16-2021 at 05:28 AM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Bar Stew (+2)  
I feel like I should point you towards this post again.
03-16-2021 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
icon Re: Bar Stew (-3)  
Lucky Luc wrote:

Wow, I didn't think anyone would be able to tell which character I was talking about and what their dialogue consists of. I must really fail at being vague.

03-16-2021 at 03:28 PM
Lucky Luc
I genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or sincere, but in either case, I think you might be missing the point:
Chaco wrote: If you're not sure whether you're allowed to say information that came from a private board, you should probably ask about it privately first. Even if the info seems completely innocent, the project manager (in this case, me) has a better idea about what kind of information should be revealed to the public.
03-16-2021 at 03:54 PM
azb
Again, this. If you don't know if something would be considered a spoiler, common sense dictates it would be safer not to post it.

For a real life example, if you noticed that there were a large chance of traffic running you over before crossing a road, would you refrain for your own safety (as you should), or would you mindlessly risk it for the 5% chance that you don't die a gruesome death?

I am not suggesting by any means that a spoiler for a private project would cost someone lives or anything dramatic like that, but the general principle of refraining from doing risky things if you know they are risky still stands.

03-16-2021 at 06:15 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
averagemoe wrote:
Lucky Luc wrote:

Wow, I didn't think anyone would be able to tell which character I was talking about and what their dialogue consists of. I must really fail at being vague.

Also it isn't really your place to divulge this information.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

03-16-2021 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
icon Re: Bar Stew (-4)  
At least one good thing came out of this. I might have reminded the bar that it should be at 82%.

03-17-2021 at 09:05 PM
azb
(1st Librarian impression)

Are you implying that submitting a few vocal entries into a project more massive than those entries in question allows you to accurately dictate and/or predict its progress?

(normal voice)

If so, you would be wrong.

[Last edited by azb at 03-18-2021 07:58 PM]
03-18-2021 at 07:57 PM
averagemoe
icon Re: Bar Stew (-1)  
I saw the bar go up coinciding with a similar amount of vocal entries being submitted, so it stands to reason that it should have happened again.

And if anyone thinks that what I just said is a spoiler, at least have the courteously to explain what got spoiled when you call me out on it.

03-18-2021 at 09:44 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Bar Stew (+3)  
It's not that you spoiled something, per se. It's that there is a veil of secrecy in front of any incomplete project, and that only certain people are permitted to breach this veil. For some projects this is contractual (NDAs), others it's merely extremely impolite.

If someone was gearing up to announce something like "We've hit a milestone of having preliminary recordings for all parts!" it would take a lot of wind out of their sails had someone been announcing "oh, another part just got recorded." Even if nothing is spoiled, it can affect the project.

More importantly, you have access to privileged information. You explicitly do not have permission to share it. It doesn't matter what you think is okay or not okay to share - you don't have permission. You shouldn't share anything.
03-18-2021 at 11:09 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Yes, averagemoe, we know that you, averagemoe, have a role in Treacle Stew and that you, averagemoe, want us to know that you, averagemoe, have a role in Treacle Stew.

So now that we know this, the following is an easy guide by which to identify the next time that you, averagemoe, should say anything, like anything whatsoever, about Treacle Stew.

See that bar on the home page? Is it at 100%? Great! Now see if there's a thread for Treacle Stew on the Holds page (you can do this first if you like, but it'll take longer). Is it there? Great, now you, averagemoe, can talk about Treacle Stew in spoiler tags.

Otherwise, don't talk about Treacle Stew, and if you, averagemoe, think that you, averagemoe, might anyway, walk away from your computer until the urge passes and then decide if you, averagemoe, want to come back.

Easy, averagemoe!

03-18-2021 at 11:45 PM
averagemoe
icon Re: Bar Stew (-3)  
Okay, you've successfully insulted my lack of honor. Now let's not make this any more redundant than it needs to be.

03-19-2021 at 01:23 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I mean, it's already redundant. As for what happens going forward, that depends on you, averagemoe.

03-19-2021 at 02:38 AM
azb
The reason it was redundant was because you appeared not to have understood the message the first time as evidenced by the above post, hence why it had to be repeated word for word.

03-19-2021 at 11:08 AM
averagemoe
83%

And now let the personal insults pour in.

04-20-2021 at 08:38 PM
azb
In this case, there was no need for personal insults as you weren't doing something that would warrant it normally - however, adding a sarcastic comment at the end is something that would warrant it.

Besides, what we were telling you weren't personal insults, but rather factual corrections to something that you didn't need insider knowledge to understand, IE that sharing private information is wrong, by the common sense reasoning that the information is private and not to be shared, no matter how much of an adrenaline rush it seems to give you.

[Last edited by azb at 04-20-2021 10:55 PM]
04-20-2021 at 10:53 PM
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Bar Stew (+4)  
So.

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but it was absolutely not my intention to personally insult you. Communication is a complicated thing, and the fact that you're losing so many levels of communication online certainly doesn't make it any easier. So I'm sorry if what I said made you feel personally attacked. Looking back at this thread and then at this latest post of yours, I'm a little worried though that you might have taken away the wrong lesson from this whole situation, so I want to reiterate my view of this whole thing.

You've made a mistake. There's just no way around it. You've disclosed information that you didn't have the right to disclose. This was objectively a wrong thing to do. But that's fine. People make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from them.

Quite a few members of the forum pointed this mistake out to you, including people who are in charge of things. These criticisms were not directed at you as a person, but at the mistake you made. Pointing out mistakes is also completely fine. If you don't know you've made a mistake, how are you supposed to learn from it?

Then you've made pretty much the exact same mistake again. Again, people pointed out to you what you've done wrong. Again, I'm pretty confident that most of us did not intend to attack you on a personal level, but instead point out the mistake so maybe you could learn from it this time. Though I guess some people might have been starting to lose their patience a bit, which I must admit I can also understand.

Anyway, if it was just for the "83%" part of your post, I'd think you actually did learn from it this time. What worries me is the second part: Why do you expect "personal insults [to] pour in"? This time around, you just pointed out information that is publicly available. Something a lot of people have done before you, something that you have done yourself, and it was well received every time. Why would anyone criticize you for that?

The fact that you expect another backlash makes me think that you either don't understand the difference between the two situations, or you think we targeted you personally instead of your actions. The latter one seems more likely to me, so to reiterate: This is absolutely not what I was going for! And I'm pretty sure the same holds true for most of the other comments you've received.

Look, I get it. Receiving backlash on something isn't fun and it's hard to not feel personally attacked by it and easy to get defensive about it instead. But please try to see past this and try to work out if any of the backlash you receive is actually valid criticism. In my experience, this community is one of the least toxic places on the internet and very few people here attack each other in bad faith.

I genuinely believe you're a bright, young person who just hasn't fully worked out the etiquette of online communities yet. I've absolutely been there myself, and I like to think that I've gotten better over the years, though I'm certain I'm far from flawless. All I want is to help you get to that point a bit quicker than I did.

(I did not downvote you and I'm honestly not sure if downvotes without any explanations are really helpful to anyone involved in this situation, but I think you at least deserve an answer to why your latest post might not have been well-received again. Of course, this is only my point of view and I absolutely don't claim to represent the community here, but I hope it's better than nothing)
04-20-2021 at 10:55 PM
azb
Amen to all of this.

04-20-2021 at 11:17 PM
averagemoe
Speaking of saying things that aren't yours to say, did anyone actually ask Chaco or anyone with real authority over the matter if I truly did something wrong in this specific thread, or are you all just assuming it was the same as a similar situation that was a genuine blunder on my part?

If there's one thing I've learned from all this, it's that assuming your place is wrong. So practice what you preach and make sure you know what yours is.

04-20-2021 at 11:38 PM
azb
That's because it is exactly like it by cold hard logic and is not just an assumption - as was explicitly linked in a post on this thread, and you are referring to the same exact project in both posts, even if you are referring to different aspects (one about its overall progress in this thread, and one about a story-canon related feature in the previous incident).

On top of that, in the email everyone privately receives, there is in fact a 100% clear cut guideline to never, under any circumstances, reveal private information about the project unless explicitly given permission to do so, as well as a stickied, admin-written (and in your case explicitly linked) guideline in the board we use.

If the rules were confusing that would be one thing, but why act like it's a personal attack when it's a simple, straightforward rule like that 1 + 1 = 2?

[Last edited by azb at 04-21-2021 12:16 AM]
04-21-2021 at 12:09 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
averagemoe wrote:
Speaking of saying things that aren't yours to say, did anyone actually ask Chaco or anyone with real authority over the matter if I truly did something wrong in this specific thread, or are you all just assuming it was the same as a similar situation that was a genuine blunder on my part?

If there's one thing I've learned from all this, it's that assuming your place is wrong. So practice what you preach and make sure you know what yours is.

I highly recommend reading the 'Guidelines' thread on the Sound Assets board. The relevant part is in big bold print, not too hard to miss.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

04-21-2021 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Bar Stew
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com