Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions (+1)  
- In the latest alpha the Steam effect plays a sound but there is no visual. This is the case for both steam generated by a script and when something is roasted on a hot tile.

[confirmed -- mrimer]

- When a timeclone shows its move preview, an error beep occurs and the following is logged:
Assertion error in line 455 of BitmapManager.cpp: "xSource + cxSize <= (UINT)CX_TILE"
Assertion error in line 456 of BitmapManager.cpp: "ySource + cySize <= (UINT)CY_TILE"

- Sometimes when moving to some full screen page like Restore menu or Settings, there is no fade in, the page just immediately pops in to view. Usually on the first screen you visit after having done some playing.

- Image overlays are forgotten when you press Esc then continue the game. For example, start a new game of DROD Touch, then press Esc on the fake main menu screen, then continue playing.

- Changes to variables that show up in Ctrl + F7 are showing up every turn afterwards even when there are no further variable changes. See RPG bug thread about this same issue: https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44918

- Trapdoors and bridges falling into a pit are sometimes leaving a visual artefact.

- Inactive clone weapons flicker each turn.

- Activating a one-use PP and moving off before the connection sparks have finished their animation results in them not disappearing off of the screen.

- When refocusing the window, any open dialogs will flicker noticeably.

- When grouping menu items in the editor, when you open a sub menu e.g. floor types, any characters with swords in the room will have their swords disappear. Note this only happens for characters set to an armed monster type, and not e.g. regular decoys. (This is also in RPG)

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-01-2020 08:59 PM]
10-30-2020 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Steam effect broken (0)  
Did you check other effects for issues and they were fine? Or is it just the first error you spotted? Because it'll be better to have all effect-related issues in one thread.

10-30-2020 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Steam effect broken (+1)  
I have not exhaustively checked them all yet. I'll check over the weekend. If any more appear, I'll add them to this thread and rename it.
10-30-2020 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions (+1)  
I have been updating the original post with issues as I came across them during today's testing session.

There may yet be more to come tomorrow.
10-31-2020 at 09:01 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions (+3)  
PR

List of changes:

- O-layer effects dirty room at the end of room drawing to avoid artifacts being left (fixes trapdoor falling)
- Temporal projection preview no longer assertion beeps
- Steam Effect now draws again
- Var Monitor no longer redraws every turn when no changes to variables were detected
- Strike orb effect will no longer leave artifacts when triggered by one-use plate or cracked orb
- Dialogs which attach to RoomWidget (Current Game Info) will no longer assert beep when getting/losing focus
- In the editor characters' swords will not flicker or disapper when sub menus are opened

> Sometimes when moving to some full screen page like Restore menu or Settings, there is no fade in, the page just immediately pops in to view. Usually on the first screen you visit after having done some playing.

I have noticed it but can't reproduce it reliably. I'll keep an eye out for it and try to fix it when I get the chance.

> Image overlays are forgotten when you press Esc then continue the game. For example, start a new game of DROD Touch, then press Esc on the fake main menu screen, then continue playing.

This is consistent with older versions and would require major overhauls of how image overlays work. I'd love to change this and I'll poke around for a solution but no promises.

> When refocusing the window, any open dialogs will flicker noticeably.
and
> Inactive clone weapons flicker each turn.

Cannot reproduce it right now, perhaps it was fixed by something else.

11-04-2020 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions (0)  
Thank you for the fixes! I'm migrating them to RPG.
skell wrote:
> Inactive clone weapons flicker each turn.

Cannot reproduce it right now, perhaps it was fixed by something else.
I might have fixed this in this PR.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-05-2020 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions (+1)  
Can confirm the following are fixed in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-11-04.
kieranmillar wrote:
- In the latest alpha the Steam effect plays a sound but there is no visual. This is the case for both steam generated by a script and when something is roasted on a hot tile.

- When a timeclone shows its move preview, an error beep occurs and the following is logged:
Assertion error in line 455 of BitmapManager.cpp: "xSource + cxSize <= (UINT)CX_TILE"
Assertion error in line 456 of BitmapManager.cpp: "ySource + cySize <= (UINT)CY_TILE"

- Changes to variables that show up in Ctrl + F7 are showing up every turn afterwards even when there are no further variable changes. See RPG bug thread about this same issue: https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44918

- Trapdoors and bridges falling into a pit are sometimes leaving a visual artefact.

- Inactive clone weapons flicker each turn.

- Activating a one-use PP and moving off before the connection sparks have finished their animation results in them not disappearing off of the screen.

- When refocusing the window, any open dialogs will flicker noticeably.

- When grouping menu items in the editor, when you open a sub menu e.g. floor types, any characters with swords in the room will have their swords disappear. Note this only happens for characters set to an armed monster type, and not e.g. regular decoys. (This is also in RPG)

For completeness the following items are not fixed but as per skell's comments I did not expect them to be:
kieranmillar wrote:
- Sometimes when moving to some full screen page like Restore menu or Settings, there is no fade in, the page just immediately pops in to view. Usually on the first screen you visit after having done some playing.

- Image overlays are forgotten when you press Esc then continue the game. For example, start a new game of DROD Touch, then press Esc on the fake main menu screen, then continue playing.
11-07-2020 at 11:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Regression: 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 Visual effect regressions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com