Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Slayer push against room edge
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
IP: Logged
icon Slayer push against room edge (0)  
#########
..B..S...
...\/....

When Beethro moves east, the slayer retreats. However, if Beethro and the slayer are on the room edge, (i.e., row 0, and the #s are not part of the room,) the slayer will not retreat.
10-27-2020 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Slayer push against room edge (0)  
I am tempted to just leave it as is. While it is inconsistent and not very intuitive, it's very discoverable and Slayers in general have a very customized ruleset full of special cases that need to be learned with experience. Also changing this doesn't seem to have much puzzle potential, and could potentially break a bunch of demos.

I'll mark it as "Not a bug" but, as usual, feel free to discuss.

10-28-2020 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
In my experience, this doesn't come up very often - in most rooms with slayers, you have better things to do than hang around on the room edges. I doubt many demos would be affected.

Puzzle potential in fixing this is largely the same as the puzzle potential for forcing the slayer to retreat in general with this technique, it's just that you'd be able to put the mechanisms closer to the room edge.
10-28-2020 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
icon Re: Slayer push against room edge (+2)  
Is there a tool which can search all the verified demos with a modified validation version to see what (if anything) breaks?

I also doubt it comes up often. There is no reason for the slayer is not to retreat, so unless there are rooms in good holds which use this, I would say it should be changed.

11-01-2020 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
I'd also consider this a bug; as I intuitively interpret Slayer movement, Slayers don't "take into account" the fact that tiles are inaccessible as far as what defensive actions they take and what they think the player is capable of doing; they merely check what moves are open/blocked when they feel they have to make a defensive rotation/move.

Thus, I don't see any reason why they should be able to distinguish between the room boundary and a regular wall / force arrow / monster-blocked tile / etc., no other monster does that. (Except puffs but they're special.)

11-01-2020 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Slayer push against room edge
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com