Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Checkpoints in game...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Checkpoints in game... (0)  
Is there a way to be able to choose a checkpoint in the game? For instance, I was redoing a room in lvl. 22 to see how to help somebody. There were four or so checkpoints in the room. I wanted to start on one, but the game had saved my position so that I was forced to start on a later one. Going to the restore screen is a slight hassle.

06-14-2003 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Checkpoints in game... (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
Is there a way to be able to choose a checkpoint in [a room]?
Yeah, that's an interesting idea. Well, I guess something simple could be done, like rather than going to the beginning of the room on hitting "R" the second time, go to the last previous checkpoint touched instead. Each time you hit "R" you would warp back in time to the checkpoint you touched before the one you just went back to, until you go all the way back to the beginning of the room.

But that might be confusing...at least a bit more confusing than it already is. We could do something like require hitting Ctrl-R instead of R to perform that custom warp back in time. So if someone doesn't want to do something special like that they don't have to worry about it, and would never get confused by having a hidden option.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-14-2003 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Actally, I reckon hitting 'R' and going back to each checkpoint you've hit is fairly logical. Think about it - R warps you back to a previous point in time, to a checkpoint. Hitting R again warps you back to a even further back point in time, to a previous checkpoint. Hitting R when there aren't any more checkpoints warps you back to the beginning of the room.

So it would make sense from an interface point of view. My 2 cents.

I am Matt! Master of Interfaces!

:P

06-20-2003 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
At last it is done!
We've got super checkpoints in 1.7! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-10-2004 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Woohoo!

Can you delve into the current button controls for these super checkpoints? Or is that confidential?

01-11-2004 at 05:39 AM
Mattcrampy
With any luck, pressing R takes you back to the previous checkpoint. Now, if they were really super, there'd be a rewind sound with that.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 01:59 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Silly question: Does it warp you back to the last checkpoint, or the last time you hit a checkpoint?

If I step on the same checkpoint three times in a given room, does it save all of these states, or just the last one? Just the first one?

I like this being added, by the way :thumbsup

01-11-2004 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
DiMono wrote:
Silly question: Does it warp you back to the last checkpoint, or the last time you hit a checkpoint?

If I step on the same checkpoint three times in a given room, does it save all of these states, or just the last one? Just the first one?
It warps you back to the last time you hit a checkpoint. If you hit a checkpoint 3 times, you can rewind through each time you stepped on it.

01-11-2004 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Ummm....

I can see that being a real pain in some rooms.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 07:42 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
You can also hit Ctrl-R to restart to the beginning of the room.

And of course, this is all just what's in the current dev build - it may change if it doesn't play well.

01-11-2004 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
And of course, this is all just what's in the current dev build - it may change if it doesn't play well.

I gotta get me one o' those.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 07:52 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'd just like to point out that some rooms might have checkpoints that you step on a couple dozen times in the course of finishing them, and it would be very tedious to rewind through each of those times to get to a previous checkpoint.

01-11-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
How about using Ctrl+R to take Beethro all the way to the start and just R to go to the last save?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-11-2004 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Schik wrote:
You can also hit Ctrl-R to restart to the beginning of the room.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-12-2004 at 02:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Maybe SHIFT+R could do a 5-checkpoint return? (If that would put it to the start of the room, it goes there.) Maybe it would be too weird to recall all of the checkpoints the player stepped on...

01-12-2004 at 04:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Checkpoints in game...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com