Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scoring issue with rooms that start clear
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Scoring issue with rooms that start clear (+1)  
Posting this mostly to start a public discussion about what, if anything, to do regarding a weird issue.

If a room has no monsters, conquer tokens, or active seeding beacons, it is marked as "clear" as soon as you enter it.

If you cut tarstuff and create babies, or monsters are produced through scripting, the room does not unclear, even on the first visit.

Most architects work around this limitation - even TSS does in the lemmings level.

However, there are a few rooms from before this became standard practice where this implementation creates an issue with scoring. If you create monsters on your first visit to a room, and leave without clearing them out, the room does not produce a victory demo.

If you then return to the room, it is still considered "clear", and if you then defeat all the monsters, that doesn't produce a victory demo so you don't get a score, and it's not obvious why.

The main room I can think of which is impacted by this is Channel One Suite: The Catacombs 2S1W: http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?roomid=12295

There are no monsters in the room to begin with. Instead, there are characters that produce golems on the south exit - and since Generate Entity didn't exist at the time the hold was made, eventually the golems run out. If you go in and decide to leave to change your starting sword position, though, you won't get a score. I think there might be another room or two where this happens, but they weren't as memorable.

Possible resolutions I can see:

-Leaving a room marked as "clear" for the first time produces a victory demo, even if there are monsters.
This would mean that, unless you were restricted from leaving the room, any room in such a questionable state would be one-movable and therefore would quickly become unscorable.
Potential other effects - I can think of one room that locks you in with force arrows and forces you to create tar babies. However, if I remember correctly, the room is set up so you need to kill the babies in order to exit safely.
If there are other rooms that do this, they would produce victory demos even if you left with the babies alive.

-If you enter a room marked as "clear", it becomes marked as "uncleared" if monsters are produced before you leave.
This would allow the Channel One Suite room to be one-moved if someone found a way to leave to the south with golems still alive, which is probably possible. Not sure how this change might affect other rooms.
Green doors would probably still drop immediately, depending on how this was implemented. So the current architectural practices would still be useful to prevent that.

-Mark the problem rooms unscorable.
This could be done purely server-side. But it would mean people would lose scores. On the other hand, they also wouldn't be confused as to why the room didn't count, though they might wonder why it's unscorable.

-Change the problem rooms.
This is not independent of other options, although it would be pointless if we were marking them unscorable. The main reason to do this would be to preserve existing scores for the rooms.

-Just do nothing.
Obviously the easiest option, but it's confusing for score hunters.

I think my personal preference would be making the room change to unclear, and making changes if needed to preserve scores. But I don't feel too strongly about that.
10-21-2020 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 187
icon Re: Scoring issue with rooms that start clear (0)  
My suggestion for demos:
Always record demos. When the player leaves the room, check if any monsters were killed (or red gates toggled[*]). If so, save the demo, otherwise discard it.

[*] Red gates are a common way to create puzzles without having any monsters in the room, and I'd like these rooms to be scorable (like Phil's Dungeon, 8th level 1N1W).

Also, is there an explanation somewhere about why if you leave a room after clearing it, it stays cleared even if a on later visit you exit with monsters still alive? I had to restore in Mark's Penultimate Dungeon because there's a level there that traps you if you clear a room on your first visit.
10-22-2020 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I know a couple of rooms that this applies to:

MetDROiD Prime : Magmoor Caverns : 1 South which has perpetual rock golems that appear on turn 0.

Annoying if you step back to adjust sword direction after first entering. This room could be made unscorable. I think it might be quicker to do from the south if you could complete it on a second pass. Actually, given the code-based open-world nature of the hold, it might be possible to enter that room the first time from the south.

Unfortunate Architect Compilation : The Organised Dungeon : 1 North, 1 East
Force arrow on entrance, you are forced to create tar babies to progress through the room.

This might be a room Fogel was referring to. I remember setting it up so that you can't exit without killing the babies you create. The scoring for this room I think is fine the way it is.

oh no wait, you can do the room leaving a tar baby up near the tar blob :(

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-22-2020 08:01 AM]
10-22-2020 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Kalin wrote:
Also, is there an explanation somewhere about why if you leave a room after clearing it, it stays cleared even if a on later visit you exit with monsters still alive?
It makes sense for it to work this way so you don't have to watch out for accidentally unclearing an entire room when backtracking just because you happened to make one tar baby right before exiting. You can already that, as long as it's immediately after clearing the room, but that's just a consequence of the rule that means rooms only count as cleared after you fully clear them in a single pass. The longer a room has been clear, the weirder it'd be for all the monsters to reappear because of a single tar baby (seeding beacons are at least somewhat believable in comparison).

I don't like changing this because of the above. Can also see it creating new backtracking issues.

Fogel's first suggestion seemed intuitive enough to me. A white room counts as cleared, so it feels redundant that you'd have to kill anything for it to be a "victory".
10-22-2020 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Scoring issue with rooms that start clear (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
oh no wait, you can do the room leaving a tar baby up near the tar blob :(

That was the room I was thinking of, yes.

Replacing the trapdoor at (34,3) with regular floor would enforce killing all tar babies without any impact on existing demos, if an update were permitted.
10-22-2020 at 07:23 AM
Dragon Fogel
Just realized I forgot to specify something in one of my suggestions.

The suggestion to unclear a room if monsters are produced was meant to only apply if it was your first visit.

Or, I guess to be more precise - when you first enter a room with no monsters, conquer tokens, or seeding beacons, it would be in the "green" state of a room that had been solved but not exited, rather than the "white" state of a room that you solved and re-entered. In the former state, a room can be uncleared, in the latter it can't. If you leave while it's uncleared, it doesn't count as cleared.

This could have side effects, though. One thing that comes to mind is blue doors - currently, if you step into a monster-free room after clearing all the rooms on the level, any blue doors will toggle immediately. This would probably change that behavior. I'm not sure of any levels where this would have a significant effect, though; it would only matter if the blue door were in a required room you couldn't leave.

I'm not sure how I feel about this now that I've actually thought about it in more detail. On the one hand, this is more consistent with the general idea that conquering a room means "kill all monsters and leave" - for a room where there are no monsters to kill, you still have to leave with no monsters present for it to officially count. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure what the full consequences of such a change would be.
10-23-2020 at 05:25 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I was dreading replying here, I think any option that changes status quo is messy and status quo is also messy.

The reason the demo is recorded on the first place is because there's a special case for clearing "cleared" rooms on the first visit - to ensure monsterless rooms also get a demo.

I am uncomfortable changing this. Consequences are hard to measure and anything broken won't be detected by the spider.

But if I were to change this, the solution I like best would be to:
1. First fix all of the rooms in all of the holds we know this is the issue. By fix I mean modify them so that they start with at least one real monster. So preserve scorability.
2. Always record a demo on the first visit if the room started clear, and spider should accept this demo as valid even if there are monsters when leaving the room.

Because at the moment, if I understand correctly, if you were to have an empty room with some tar, where player starts in the middle, if they create babies and leave the room without killing them they won't get a demo and a score, but if they did not kill the babies they'll get both?

10-28-2020 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
This is correct, assuming that by "did not kill the babies" you mean "did not create babies".

And if you return to the room, you will not get a demo because it already counts as clear.

If we're fixing rooms, here are my suggestions for the ones already noted.

For the Channel No 1. Suite room: I would suggest putting a roach on the north entrance (even if it gets killed by entering it still makes the room red) and a green door at the south, assuming that doesn't interfere with the Appear commands. The green door would be to prevent breaking the room by entering from the south.

For the Unfortunate Architect room, replace the trapdoor I noted in my above post with regular floor with a down-facing force arrow. This will preserve all existing demos (including any where people bumped the pit for whatever reason) and enforce killing all the babies produced from killing the tar.

For the MetDROID Prime room, maybe make one of the golems a real one to start with, and use scripting to produce another one in its place on revisits?

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-28-2020 11:05 PM]
10-28-2020 at 10:26 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scoring issue with rooms that start clear
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com