Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Error beeps with numbers too large for damage calculator
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged

File: damage calculator bug.drh (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Error beeps with numbers too large for damage calculator (0)  
My in-progress hold Tetrahedron allows the player's ATK or DEF to reach about 2000, with monsters scaled up accordingly. This is a problem in rooms on the last level with at least six types of monster, with the new damage calculator that displays information in the form "total (hits x damage)". I've attached a hold file containing a single room copied from Tetrahedron to illustrate.

09-17-2020 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
greenscience
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
icon Re: Error beeps with numbers too large for damage calculator (0)  
I didn't hear anything that sounds like a beep in this room. Was it triggered by just being in the room, after fighting a monster, after opening the damage calculator, etc? Did you have the latest version (1.2.7.317 or 330) on Windows/Mac/Linux?

Testing things a bit more it sounds like fighting a monster that does at least 1251 damage plays a sound effect like groan or moan.
09-18-2020 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
It was when I called up the damage calculator (the full-screen one, not just right-clicking an individual monster) and I'm not sure exactly which version -- this was a problem I was having on my old hard drive, and I actually have version 57 on my current hard drive, which has the older damage calculator.

Oh, I forgot to mention -- it seems to be specifically because with 4-digit stats, some of the lines spill onto the next line, pushing the window down, and when there are six monster types in a room, that pushes the bottom of the window off the bottom of the screen. So my screen size / window size may also be a factor.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 09-18-2020 04:40 PM]
09-18-2020 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Nuntar wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention -- it seems to be specifically because with 4-digit stats, some of the lines spill onto the next line, pushing the window down, and when there are six monster types in a room, that pushes the bottom of the window off the bottom of the screen. So my screen size / window size may also be a factor.
Thanks for the post and the sample room.

I just tried playtesting it in the debugger and pulled up the damage table. I didn't encounter any issues.

I did see the brain displayed on a second page that gets displayed after the first. Everything fit on each dialog box that was presented.

Suggest upgrading to the latest patch version at your convenience (e.g., 1.2.7.330 or thereabouts) and trying to reproduce the issue there.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-23-2020 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar

File: RPG.png (817.1 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Error beeps with numbers too large for damage calculator (+1)  
316 seems to be the latest available in Downloads, and I do get the error there. I've attached a screenshot.

10-10-2020 at 06:18 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thank you!

It appears that part of the game window isn't being displayed in your view, but if you're still hearing the beep, would you please try out the latest dev build to see if the beep persists there?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-14-2020 04:46 PM]
10-14-2020 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Error beeps with numbers too large for damage calculator
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com