Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Halph's Lazy Twin (a Steam Exclusive behavior)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Halph's Lazy Twin (0)  
Okay, so this is a weird one. Normally, it would seem too out of the way to want to fix, but it only applies to the Steam version of the game, and I'm pretty sure behavior inconsistencies are a big priority.

Have some scripting that makes it so that there are multiple Halphs in a room. Either by Generate Entity, or Turn Into Monster.

If you're playing the Caravelnet version, then knocking on a door will cause all Halphs to try to open it. But in the Steam version, only the one that comes first in the turn order will try. And if he can't reach the orb, then none of the other Halphs will bother, even if they can get to the orb.

09-14-2020 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Halph's Lazy Twin (0)  
Okay, this is weird because I remember being in a room with multiple Halphs in one of mxvladi's holds (I think it was The Pile of Puzzles) and it was set up so that the Halph that would actually open a door was behind a blue door so you had to beat the level first.

And I played the hold before the Steam release.
09-14-2020 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Okay, I was right, it's The Pile of Puzzles: The Only Level 2S, and I'm playing the non-Steam version. If the level isn't complete, the accessible Halph won't hit the orb.

Telling him to follow you works, though.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 09-14-2020 04:22 AM]
09-14-2020 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Halph's Lazy Twin (+1)  
Could not reproduce two responsive Halphs in the standalone version. Tried two Halphs, two Young Halphs, one of each. And I tried "one of each" with both the placed-in-the-room Halph and the generated-through-scripting Halph as different versions. Tried generating both through scripting, too - only one Halph reacted.

Testing in Steam Gunthro behaved the same way, though I didn't do a full set of tests.

Interestingly, when I had an older Halph placed and a Young Halph in the room at the same time, Young Halph opened the door. Otherwise, it seemed to be decided by move order.

I think averagemoe is going to have to provide more details.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-15-2020 08:00 PM]
10-15-2020 at 07:59 PM
averagemoe
The difference is in what happens when the Halph that comes first in the turn order can't reach the orb.

10-16-2020 at 12:48 AM
Dragon Fogel
Could you provide an example? I didn't test that specific case, but it's what happens in The Pile of Puzzles.

In that room, the second Halph doesn't respond there when the first one is trapped behind the blue door.
10-16-2020 at 12:54 AM
averagemoe
icon Re: Halph's Lazy Twin (+1)  
Weirdly, now I'm also getting the behavior of only the first Halph responding to a knock across all versions. Did something get fixed already?

10-16-2020 at 01:11 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
averagemoe wrote:
Weirdly, now I'm also getting the behavior of only the first Halph responding to a knock across all versions. Did something get fixed already?
I haven't deployed any Steam updates these past months.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-16-2020 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Halph's Lazy Twin (a Steam Exclusive behavior)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com