Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DROD Touch (Mobile)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.0/10 (7 votes)
σ 0.76
Author Name:Skell
Submitted By:skell
Hold Name:DROD Touch
Theme:Mobile
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:56
Number of Monsters:1599
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:125 (+125 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: DROD Touch.hold (7.4 MB)
Downloaded 353 times.
License: Other
icon DROD Touch  
This is not a hold.

Thanks to Kieran for doing so many fun puzzles for this!

Making of this hold: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOyLLvNgx3FuhgqkM3mKBVSa5qwdui6gC

[Last edited by skell at 09-06-2020 10:07 PM]
08-15-2020 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: DROD Touch (+2)  
Errata:
* 5-4 was actually made by Skell, not Kieran
* World 1 uses Forest music for the most part by mistake, should've been Foundation music to match the visual style
* Any visual issues with obstacles you find are the result of this being such a tiring, tedious task.

And it should be obvious, but level selection screen is for replaying a single puzzle, if you want to continue the campaign use "Continue" from the title screen. And when I say "should be obvious" I mean "someone could've made it obvious but when some another one complained about it the original someone was like "I am too lazy to fix this, artistic decision" so now you're stuck with this".

[Last edited by skell at 08-15-2020 09:48 PM]
08-15-2020 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: DROD Touch (+1)  
For reasons that I can't put into words, this hold makes me wonder if it might be possible for DRODscript to accomplish a 2D version of The Godkiller.

And should it be done, we shall call it, The DRODkiller.

08-16-2020 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: DROD Touch (0)  
From what I recall, Erik's game has Z position (as in floor tiles at a different height) and that would be impossible to script.

08-16-2020 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
Bug: (unless this is a TOP SECRET special feature that is not in any way indicated as one)

Click here to view the secret text

08-16-2020 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Bug: (unless this is a TOP SECRET special feature that is not in any way indicated as one)
That's a pretty serious bug--it makes World 1-5 doable in 28 moves instead of 52. I'm kind of hesitant to get much deeper into the hold if this is going to be fixed...any word?
08-16-2020 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Will be fixed in a day or two, I've got a fixed hold ready it just needs to be approved for update.

In the meantime feel free to play it as any role other than Puff - the idea is every role should play exactly the same, so if anything works different then it means that role has bugs. The roles were a pretty late addition, which is why they were tested less (see Kieran? I called it!). No other demo-breaking changes are planned.

[Last edited by skell at 08-16-2020 11:26 PM]
08-16-2020 at 11:13 PM
skell
The hold was updated:

Click here to view the secret text

You may not be able to restore or continue may be broken - I don't know why but for some reason DROD insists that stuff that shouldn't changed changes in between exports and I have apparently no control over that.

[Last edited by skell at 08-17-2020 11:26 PM]
08-17-2020 at 11:26 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Fortunately, I was able to restore. I didn't get any invalid puff scores, but I did block golems with the Decoy role in a couple of rooms so I had to redo those. (This was a separate bug that didn't get mentioned above, but did come up in chat.)
08-18-2020 at 12:39 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Are there any limits to DROD scripting? You basically created a new game :yikes. Now I wonder if it's possible to make platform jumper DROD, or FPS DROD. Brilliant, and very hard, the difficulty should be rated higher
08-29-2020 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Platforming DROD was attempted briefly in Spider Well, and there have been a few other holds that invented non-DROD-like or RPG-like games. Probably my favorite is The Mining Business which is a rough analogue of a real-time-strategy (RTS) game.

(apologies for advertising other holds in what's supposed to be a thread for this hold!)

08-30-2020 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: DROD Touch (+3)  
kurwaa wrote:
Are there any limits to DROD scripting? You basically created a new game :yikes. Now I wonder if it's possible to make platform jumper DROD, or FPS DROD. Brilliant, and very hard, the difficulty should be rated higher

The scripting in this hold is surprisingly simple compared to what can be done (stay tuned for my next hold). In terms of platformer there was this My Little Pony hold in architecture, I've got a prototype of something that uses gravity but is not really a platformer.

And FPS? Funny you mention that. I need to finish something someday.

And then there is an actual RPG hold.

08-30-2020 at 12:26 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I would also mention the metDROiD holds and the perennially-in-development-ZelDROD concept. The scripting may not be that new, but the play experiences feel very different.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-30-2020 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
disoriented wrote:
I would also mention the metDROiD holds and the perennially-in-development-ZelDROD concept. The scripting may not be that new, but the play experiences feel very different.

I am proud to admit that I am aware of all of that, because I was actively searching for good stuff (and these holds were literally the first results in googlesearch, when I typed "amazing drod holds"). I love RPG hold (the original tedious one, the pre 3.0 version), and the mining hold (this one was hilarious). Metroid was frustrating (mostly the first one), but you have to understand that I am still amazed that there is much more to script.

I am myself thinking of creating a good DROD horror story in vein of Blackout (no jumpscares, no cuss-words, no gore, only storytelling), but this is something I don't want to promise.

Still, it's impressive how you used the game to make something completely different and unexpected/

[Last edited by Illusionist at 09-21-2020 12:44 PM]
08-30-2020 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: DROD Touch (+10)  
For those curious I've published about 90 minutes of me talking about how this hold is scripted and how it was conceived: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOyLLvNgx3FuhgqkM3mKBVSa5qwdui6gC (I also added a link in the first post)

09-07-2020 at 10:37 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This not-hold is brilliant!

It's fun, and I can totally appreciate the volume of scripting that must have gone into this as well.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-22-2020 at 10:16 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DROD Touch (Mobile) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com