Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : KDD Lite 5 disappeared
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Quaker
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon KDD Lite 5 disappeared (0)  
07-02-2020 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (+2)  
I can't remember if we ever finished building that one.

In any case, the overview page still refers to it: 'The next episode, KDD Lite 5, is currently in development. It is estimated to be released in 2014.'

Also the individual pages state the following:
'Want to get this game on your site? This game is still in an active final development phase, bugs are being fixed and features being added. You may want to wait a week or two so we can finish it properly.'

If any site admin can find the time to amend those statements it would certainly be an improvement.
07-03-2020 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (+1)  
King Dugan's Dungeon Lite 5 was released, but had a dependency on an advertisement server. Might be that this advertisement server has gone offline since then which rendered the game unstartable.
07-03-2020 at 05:28 PM
Quaker
There was KDD Lite 5 and there was text:
"The next and final episode, KDD Lite 6, is currently in development. It is estimated to be released in 2017. Keep your eye on the Caravel Forum or subscribe to our newsletter from the main page if you want to be informed when the game hits."
Other topic with approvement:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43466

[Last edited by Quaker at 07-03-2020 08:50 PM]
07-03-2020 at 08:47 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
There was talk at some point about porting the KDD Lite series to HTML5/JS, since Flash is now obsolete. But I'm not sure where that stands. There has to be someone willing and available, with the relevant knowledge.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-03-2020 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quaker
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (-1)  
Up
07-29-2020 at 04:31 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (+3)  
If someone could pay me to take a week off work so that I could work solely on this I am pretty sure I could port all of those to HTML5. Otherwise there just isn't enough incentive in this for me to prioritize this fairly obscure projects more than anything else in my life, and at the moment free time is a currency with a darn high conversion rates :(. (you know, adulthood, kid, work, the usual)

I am semi-facetious here, I'd love to work on this but there just isn't the time.

07-29-2020 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quaker
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (0)  
But who is the site administrator? I think at least getting a fifth flash DROD back isn't that difficult.
07-29-2020 at 08:09 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I have essentially two responses here:

1. This post still reflects my opinion RE: "Flash dead" arguments.

2. If the DROD Lite games involved original architecture (that is, stuff that isn't in any official DROD hold in "real" DROD), is there any way that a volunteer could get permission to "port" all that into proper DROD in a compilation? Then it'd be available without flash and without internet access (once downloaded, at least).

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-29-2020 09:02 PM]
07-29-2020 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
There are some additional secret rooms in the Flash version. As well as some unique gameplay tutorials. Plus, shrinking down an existing room to work on a smaller grid is sort of an art.

Maybe we should be trying to convert the games to Javascript.

07-29-2020 at 10:11 PM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Xindaris wrote: Then it'd be available without flash and without internet access (once downloaded, at least).
The "playable in browser" was the main point of KDDL. Otherwise, people could just download AE or the TSS demo and work through the holds mentioned here.

FlashDROD getting featured on Jay is Games was my introduction to DROD, and I think only three episodes had been published when I saw the DROD bundle on sale at GoG. So having it available online is sole reason I spent money on this.
07-30-2020 at 12:43 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (-1)  
I get that, Kalin; flash DROD was also my first exposure to the game as well. But given the option between "we're pulling it from the site because flash is dead bluh bluh so nobody can ever play it again" and "here's a version in actual DROD you can still play", I'd very much choose the latter.

Here are some links to Things!

07-30-2020 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
My only misgiving about that was that I promised myself I wouldn't replay KDD again. Oh well. The scores must go on.

07-30-2020 at 07:38 PM
Illusionist
Rank Points: 165
1) Without Flash Version of DROD I would never give it the final chance - I've tried that game many times before, but it was this version that finally made me give a chance to this strange game
2) I don't think Flash will die, because it's still used in companies / corporations and I doubt they will want to switch to anything else because it costs money and flash is simply efficient (I've even worked for a small company that still uses DOS system and it was only 2 years ago), alternatively, since Flash will become abandonware, user-made / fan version of Flash will probably be introduced
3) Thankfully I downloaded the Flash version of KDD 5 - another good thing about flash, you can download it as one file, and it works offline
4) It's a shame that KDD 6 will probably never happen, but it's understandable

[Last edited by Illusionist at 09-21-2020 12:44 PM]
08-07-2020 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Quaker
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (-3)  
Up. Still no KDD Lite 5.
09-11-2020 at 03:28 PM
Quaker
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (-5)  
10-10-2020 at 01:41 PM
Kalin
Rank Points: 175
The archive just has the HTML and image files, not the game itself.

I actually have the .swf file (they used to encourage people to host the games on other sites) and could attach it here if Caravel doesn't object.

(I can also give instructions on how to arm twist Firefox into playing Flash from a local drive, though I expect even that will stop working in Dec.)
10-10-2020 at 03:29 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: KDD Lite 5 disappeared (+10)  
I should be able to make slelf contained Adobe AIR builds for each platform does that sound like a good option? Game would still be playable, only downloadable

10-10-2020 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quaker
skell wrote:
I should be able to make slelf contained Adobe AIR builds for each platform does that sound like a good option? Game would still be playable, only downloadable

Why not? I think it's a good idea. I downloaded before .swf and played with Internet Explorer browser. I don't see any problem to download game before play.
10-10-2020 at 04:29 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
skell wrote:
Yes!

10-10-2020 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
skell wrote:

So we wouldn't have high scores, achievements, and whatnot, but that's OK. It's an interesting part of history and it should be preserved :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-10-2020 11:38 PM]
10-10-2020 at 11:37 PM
Quaker
disoriented wrote: So we wouldn't have high scores, achievements, and whatnot, but that's OK.

When I downloaded .swf and played it, achievements worked properly (and uploaded to forum).
10-11-2020 at 09:34 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I think it would be great to preserve these unique creations.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-14-2020 at 04:51 PM
Grizzly
Rank Points: 41
Especially because the Lite episodes were the only official attempt to create localized lore for many different languages. I really loved that.
10-17-2020 at 06:17 PM
Illusionist
Rank Points: 165
Grizzly wrote:
Especially because the Lite episodes were the only official attempt to create localized lore for many different languages. I really loved that.

So much this, it had my language as well, which surprised me, alas in hindsight it shouldn't

The biggest tragedy is that there will never be part 6, and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to finish that :(

Still thank you for parts 1-5 - WITHOUT THEM, I wouldn't be here, and that's not a joke
10-24-2020 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
While we're at it, caravelnet support in them seems to be broken. You can connect with your key, but then if you hit enter it fails, and it doesn't seem to ever update the achievements page on the forum or anything. (I was running KDDL1 in the flash player projector on windows 7, specifically)

Edit: ... and now the achievements page works, but hitting enter to open the score thing still disconnects. Might be related to the hints and solutions link not working either, it tries to send you to the main DROD board, which promptly complains about an unknown hold.

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 03-05-2021 04:52 AM]
03-04-2021 at 04:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : KDD Lite 5 disappeared
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes