Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : RYB
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
IP: Logged
icon RYB (+2)  
https://fleb.itch.io/ryb

This is the first game I've finished from the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality. It's a minimalist logic puzzle game that deserves comparisons to Tametsi.

Each of the 68 puzzles is a design made of black shapes that you need to color, first with the primary colors (hence the name of the game) and later with secondary colors too. You do this based on clues in the form of colored dots inside some shapes that indicate the colors of adjacent shapes. But not all shapes have clues, they don't always have all the clues, and often you have to color a shape correctly to see its clues.

There's no randomness in the puzzles, no guessing needed to solve them, and unfortunately no drawing tool either. There's no text in the game after the first puzzle. New mechanics are introduced through a handful of mini puzzles to show you how they work.
06-23-2020 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: RYB (0)  
Looks cool. What would you put the difficulty at on a scale of 1 to 10 brains?

-Erik

06-23-2020 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Rank Points: 185
I haven't played many user holds in DROD (mainly the ones that shipped with TSS), and I've never looked at brain scores, so anything I say would be a wild guess.

It comes close to Tametsi at times, but overall is easier because the puzzles are fewer and much smaller. Also, it lets you make two mistakes before forcing you to start over.
06-23-2020 at 12:59 PM
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: RYB (+1)  
The game itself looks good, but the use of the RYB color space is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. They're not real primary colors, it was the approximation people made of CMY before modern color theory. You can't make cyan or magenta with RYB, but you can make red (magenta+yellow) and blue (cyan+magenta) with CMY, and mixing subtractive primary colors in equal parts should make black. CMY does, RYB makes reddish-brown.

06-23-2020 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
You made me learn things. (Dang you!)

Here is a funny video explaining CMY vs RYB.

-Erik

06-24-2020 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DanielFishman
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: RYB (+1)  
We played through this over the course of a couple of evenings. It's not super hard - fewer brains than GatEB, IMO - and quite short, but definitely fun, and the way it builds up is well done. But I do wish there'd been more hard puzzles once the building up was done.
07-15-2020 at 12:16 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : RYB
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No