Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : March Madness (The madness is in actually publishing a hold made during NaDRODArchMo.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged

File: March Madness.hold (11.5 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
License: Public Domain
icon March Madness (0)  
Every so often, we do a fun little event called NaDRODArchMo. Inspired by NaNoWriMo, the goal is for participants to make 30 rooms in a month, regardless of room quality. We do not have a regular month for this and pretty much do it whenever we feel like it.

The most recent one was in March of this year, and I'm pretty happy with how most of the rooms I made came out so I'm just going to publish it. I will adjust things to fix trivial unintended solutions, assuming I can remember what I wanted the solution to be, but I won't be revamping rooms or adding new ones.

For instance, when I was taking another look at this I realized there was a trivial solution to the Entrance so I added a force arrow that prevents it.

Edit: I must have broken 1E at some point because the golems were getting attracted by the decoys. Changed it slightly and confirmed it's solvable. Also put down some force arrows to prevent decoy placement in certain key spots; I don't know if placing the decoy there would actually break the room but I figured I might as well play it safe.

Edit again: Fixed an unintended solution in 2N1E. Still making edits in this post because apparently nobody's downloaded this yet.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-13-2020 05:42 PM]
06-17-2020 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: March Madness (0)  
Update: Enforcement mechanisms added in 1S1W and 1S1E. Gone through all but nine rooms now.
06-18-2020 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Gone through all the rooms now. One last set of revisions.

-Moved the trapdoor/disarm token in 2N so the room is actually beatable.
-Added a mechanism to 1W to make the last part of the solution more consistent.
-Added a conquer token to 2S1W so that waiting for a puff at the end doesn't affect the high score.
06-18-2020 at 02:35 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379

File: March Madness disoriented demos.demo (31.8 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
I've attached demos for all rooms except 1W, 1S, 2S1W.

I probably broke some things.

1W: Can trap the aumtlich on the upper plate, but stalwarts tend to be stalwarts, and this one isn't cooperating in the clean-up phase.

1S: I want to get a guard into the oremite chamber. Tried a few things like pushing kegs onto the guard's plate as he stepped off, but nothing seemed to work right.

2S1W: Got eight mirrors pushed around the nest with the aid of the gel baby, but the baby kept getting in the way at the end. This is very unforgiving with manipulating the baby. I think I need the magic sequence for getting the last mirror in place without getting trapped.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 06-19-2020 06:26 PM]
06-19-2020 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: March Madness (+1)  
Hints for those rooms.

1W:
Click here to view the secret text

1S:

2S1W: I would recommend not breaking the wall that you're breaking at the start. Beyond that:

Going to look through the rest and see if there are any solutions I feel are worth patching up. Probably going to adjust 1N1W so that it requires coordination.
06-19-2020 at 08:00 AM
disoriented
Updated the attachment to contain my victory demos for 1W and 1S. They both seem pretty finicky.

2S1W still doesn't work. I've included a failure demo.

06-19-2020 at 09:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Changes:

Thanks for breaking my rooms.
06-19-2020 at 09:06 AM
Dragon Fogel
1S and 1W solved as intended.

Although one difference in my 1S solution:

2S1W hints, more explicit than before:

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 06-19-2020 09:18 AM]
06-19-2020 at 09:14 AM
disoriented
Updated attachment to contain victory demo for 2S1W.

06-19-2020 at 06:27 PM
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: MM Days 1-29 2S1W Victory.demo (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
Hi, started playing a little bit, couple of comments

edit: attached demo

[Last edited by KituU at 06-20-2020 08:22 PM]
06-20-2020 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Good job on 2S1W, I added the gel baby because I hadn't been able to do it with only mirrors.

I was considering turning off shallow water traversal for the whole hold, since that would be less arbitrary than disabling it for exactly one room and the only room where going in is actually required is 1W, where an invisibility potion could accomplish the same thing. That would rule out this solution, but on the other hand maybe I should make it a challenge instead. Going to think on this for a bit.

Fixed 1N1W with a little more pit and an orthosquare. Also made the gel baby in 2S1W move before the nest, at disoriented's request.
06-20-2020 at 08:41 PM
Dragon Fogel
After giving it some thought, I decided to disable shallow water traversal globally, and changed 1W accordingly (and removed characters relating to traversal).

I tried to tweak 1N1W, realized there was a problem with my attempted tweak, and tried to change it back, so it may be slightly different now.

Also filled in some of the empty space in 1N, and added a challenge to it: only drop trapdoors on the bottom three rows. Confirmed the challenge is possible to get. While I was at it, I added seeding beacons to both rooms with challenges, too.

I'll give it a little time to see if any other significant room breaks pop up, but I'm pretty happy with where this is right now.

Also if anyone has thoughts on checkpoint placement, I'm open to hearing them.

Edit: Quick update because I didn't see any downloads. Added a couple of passages for easier traversal. One is from the side passage of 1N2W into 1N1W, and the other is from 2E into 1N2E. A pressure plate in the latter passage prevents solving 1N2E from that entrance.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 06-21-2020 11:30 PM]
06-21-2020 at 11:09 PM
Dragon Fogel
No new feedback (or downloads), so I gave things a quick look-over myself and realized I forgot to remove the scroll in 2S after I disabled shallow water everywhere. Then I noticed an issue there and resolved it by putting force arrows on the red doors.

I also made some tweaks to 1S1W. The most significant one is limiting the growth of the 2-by-2 tar blob in the main area with another wall next to it. I also set things up so that you only get to use one growth cycle with that blob, although just using one cycle is probably the easiest way to make sure it's gel-cuttable anyhow.
06-23-2020 at 11:11 PM
KituU

File: March Madness- KituU demos.demo (16.7 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Hi, played it ! very very nice puzzles, had a lot of fun!

06-24-2020 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Okay, still a few fixes I had to make.

-Changed the plate with arrows in 1N1E to close a door at the end of the conquer token passage and removed the doors on the room edges. The conquer token plate opens it, so now that plate can't be touched at all after you go in there. Added a green door in the passage for good measure.
-Changed the north plate in 1S1W to on-off so it toggles the firetrap and now the growth limit is actually enforced.
-Forgot to mention this, but in a previous revision I removed the tunnel from 1S2W because the passage I put the time token in already prevented getting the decoy out of it.

Your demo for 2S1W still uses shallow water, presumably because you used an old save and updated the hold. I guess this is a loophole that can allow for people with test versions of the hold to create demos that the spider validates but that aren't actually possible for general play. To prevent this from impacting the high score tables, I've added a copy of the character to disable it in every relevant room.

Incidentally, nice pattern for the challenge in 1N. Different from mine, but uses similar concepts.
06-24-2020 at 09:03 PM
KituU
Actually, in 2S1W i was still able to enter shallow water, and i still can in latest version
06-25-2020 at 02:56 AM
Dragon Fogel
I guess you're restoring to the room itself and that doesn't update NPCs.

But that's okay as long as the demo breaks, which your current one does in my version. That will prevent this from being used for high scores.

Can you check whether any demos where you enter shallow water break (Beethro will get stuck when he attempts to enter), and whether you can enter if you leave the room and return?
06-25-2020 at 03:24 AM
KituU
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Can you check whether any demos where you enter shallow water break (Beethro will get stuck when he attempts to enter), and whether you can enter if you leave the room and return?

Demo is the same, Beethro enters shallow water, however i tried reentering in room solved and cannot enter shallow water
06-25-2020 at 08:44 AM
Dragon Fogel
Well, your previous demos break on my copy. Do the demos still work after leaving and re-entering?
06-25-2020 at 07:59 PM
KituU
Dragon Fogel wrote: Do the demos still work after leaving and re-entering?

Hi, yes, in demo Beethro enter shallow water
06-27-2020 at 11:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
That's weird, but if it only happens locally then it should break during high score verification.

I have two copies of your demo from 6/20, 2:19 AM and that fails on my side. Beethro tries to enter the water, bumps it instead, and this disrupts his movement and he ends up dying on Turn 50.

In fact, I just tried restoring to that room (I hadn't visited it outside the editor since making the changes) and my restore points all had Beethro getting stuck and just about to be killed by a waterskipper because he couldn't enter the shallow water. So now I'm just confused about what's happening on your end.
06-28-2020 at 12:13 AM
Dragon Fogel
So, just a note: I haven't had anybody run through all the rooms in the current version of the hold (other than myself in testing).

I would appreciate it if somebody could do that. In particular, I have no demos of 1N1W, 1N1E, 2S, or the Day 30 room after fixes.
07-01-2020 at 06:03 AM
disoriented

File: Archive.zip (57.8 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
Dragon Fogel wrote:
So, just a note: I haven't had anybody run through all the rooms in the current version of the hold (other than myself in testing).

I would appreciate it if somebody could do that. In particular, I have no demos of 1N1W, 1N1E, 2S, or the Day 30 room after fixes.

You didn't like how I solved Day 30 earlier, then?
Because I can't solve it anymore.

Here are the other three room demos.

07-01-2020 at 07:25 AM
Dragon Fogel
The 2S demo breaks for some reason. I guess you did it in an older version than the latest, but I'm still not sure how that leads to the demo playing out in the weird way it does.

1N1E is a new break, now fixed by adding another door which requires the plate to be clear and moving the whole conquer token mechanism to another part of the room so you can't lead golems off the plate when you're over there. New version in the first post.

For Day 30:

07-01-2020 at 05:21 PM
KituU

File: MM Days 1-29 2S Victory.demo (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
still found 2S very easy , demo
07-01-2020 at 09:44 PM
KituU

File: MM Day 30 The Entrance Victory.demo (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
the other 2 rooms, 1N1W and 1N1E, couldn't solve
Day 30 demo
07-01-2020 at 09:46 PM
disoriented

File: MM Days 1-29 2S Victory.demo (19.1 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
disoriented demo of 2S

07-01-2020 at 09:59 PM
disoriented

File: MM Day 30 The Entrance Victory.demo (19.3 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
disoriented demo of Day 30

07-01-2020 at 10:05 PM
Dragon Fogel
KituU solved 2S the intended way, while disoriented broke things. Fixed the latter issue by putting the wraithwings and constructs behind red doors.

Minor break in KituU's Day 30 solution, so I've tweaked that room a little. Not that the step that was skipped is all that difficult.

New version in first post.
07-01-2020 at 10:17 PM
KituU

File: MM Day 30 The Entrance Victory.demo (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
Day 30 demo
07-01-2020 at 10:29 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : March Madness (The madness is in actually publishing a hold made during NaDRODArchMo.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com