Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (Lots of games for a good cause)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (+5)  
Hey y'all, it's been an extremely long time since I have posted anything of substance here, but I wanted to spread the word about an amazing bundle on itch.io that benefits some good causes. I was surprised not to see a post here about it, and I did try to search for it, but if it's already posted somewhere else, please forgive me.

Here's the bundle I'm referring to. itch.io is probably known to many of you here, as a place where a lot of indie games are sold (DRM-free). They are currently offering this Bundle for Racial Justice and Inequality, which benefits the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund split 50/50. Right now donating just $5 gets you over 1,600 indie computer games (including quite a few high-profile ones like Celeste, Night in the Woods, Oxenfree, Minit, Nuclear Throne, A Short Hike, and so many more), digital creations, and even printable tabletop board games and RPGs, but of course please donate more if you can afford to. The bundle ends in 4 days and 2 hours from this post, so don't sit on it! And note you can gift the bundle if you so desire.

Game on. :onei

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-12-2020 05:39 AM]
06-12-2020 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
icon Re: itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (+1)  
That's a lot of games... rather overwhelming, in fact. Is there any way to sort or filter them?

I'm interested in turnbased games with handcrafted levels and more focus on puzzles or collecting than story or survival. I also don't have much patience for awkward interfaces, which is why I don't pay much attention to that site.
06-12-2020 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (+2)  
You can sort and filter games in the Itch catalog before purchase. Using the Featured option shows all featured games, and if they are featured for being in the Bundle there is a little blue tag saying "In bundle."

There are various sorting and filtering options. To be fair, it's probably best to simply select each of the genres that interest you, sort by popularity and scan the top games. For example, here is a link to all the featured puzzle games.

https://itch.io/games/featured/genre-puzzle

NOTE: Be sure to mouse over the blue tag and see if the bundle in question is this one. Thanks to Oneiromancer for pointing out there are other bundles.

[Last edited by Pekka at 06-12-2020 04:38 PM : added note about other bundles]
06-12-2020 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
From the list Pekka linked, I have heard excellent things about Golf Peaks, GNOG, Semblance, Puzzle Puppers, and Ethereal.

I also see The White Door recommended, but that's more of an adventure-puzzle game, not so much a logic puzzle game; I played Old Man's Journey through XBox Game Pass for PC and it was a nice relaxing puzzle-lite game as well (again, not really in the "logic puzzle" style though).

Note that not every game that says "In bundle" is in this particular charity bundle. For example, Sokobond has this tag, but it's just part of a 3-game bundle from that developer.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-12-2020 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
Hey, just wanted to note that the bundle actually still keeps getting updated with more and more games, and you will also get access to those newly added games even if you buy it now. (I think when I bought it it had like a 1000 games, and it's at >1600 now)

I'm interested in turnbased games with handcrafted levels and more focus on puzzles or collecting than story or survival.
So I haven't actually played these yet (because I now have way too many games to play, wow), but here's a few more games in the bundle that seem to fit this description: Campfire Cooking, A Snake's Tale, Sokoban Land DX.

06-13-2020 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kalin
I need to start making a list....

A few that looked nice and puzzle-y to me:
Puzzle Puppers
Snake Blocks
Lyne
Cardinal Chains
reky (maybe... its hard to figure out the mechanics from the trailer)

but I haven't found them yet in the download pages. I think I'll need to create an account just to search what I own.

So far I've glanced through the first three download pages and tried Codemancer, which uses a TBS to teach basic programming concepts. Its very simple and slow paced, and unfortunately not very well coded itself.

I've also downloaded Beglitched and Silicon Zeroes, but haven't tried them yet.
06-13-2020 at 04:17 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (0)  
Kalin wrote:
but I haven't found them yet in the download pages. I think I'll need to create an account just to search what I own.
On my download page for the full set of projects in the bundle, there is a "Search by title" cell just above and to the right of the first game. It's there on every page, and with it I was able to find the games you were looking for. I am signed in to my account there, though, so I suppose it's possible that has something to do with it.

I encourage you to check out Ethereal as well, there's a nice review of it here: https://buried-treasure.org/2020/01/ethereal/

06-13-2020 at 10:44 PM
Kalin
Yeah, I just found that search box (and, wow, are there a lot of games named "snake").

I also figured out how to create a collection, so I'm using that to track ones the I've tried so far:
https://itch.io/c/968867/logic-for-racial-justice

06-13-2020 at 11:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality (Lots of games for a good cause)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com