Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Journey (The JtRH sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1735
IP: Logged

File: King Nareiks Journey v01.hold (41.4 KB)
Downloaded 12 times.
License: Public Domain
icon King Nareik's Journey (+2)  
Yes, you probably guessed that I was going to be working on this, and you were right. Good job, give yourself a pat on the back. I don't like having a hold sit around on my computer unseen by anyone else because I'm slightly paranoid that one day something will happen and all that hard work will never see the light of day, so I'm making this thread to store my in-progress work.

KNJ is the sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon, this time made in the original Journey to Rooted Hold engine. It has the same modern lynchpin-focussed design ethos, but with a different structure to the typical linear fare. It takes place immediately after the events of KND, so spoilers! (SPOILER: Rallim makes it to the bottom of the dungeon in KND).

I've currently made 64 scorable rooms, which is about 1/3rd of the content in KND. And there's much more to come yet!

If you want to play what's currently here and give feedback, I'm more than happy for you to do so. But really it's currently far from complete, and if people would rather wait until it's nearly finished, then hey that's cool too. The main aim in making it public at this stage is largely a backup really. But the content that is currently here is fully playable.

FAQ
When is this hold going to be finished?
It will be a while, I'll be working on it slowly on and off. Remember, KND was 3 years in the making.

Is this easier or harder than KND?
I'd like to think its slightly easier, but in reality it's probably the same.

Will it have a TSS makeover like KND did with scripted challenges?
Probably not, KNJ has a different fundamental design approach so there is no plan for any challenges, and JtRH already has things like different floor types so there's less prettying up to be done. Still, if people have good ideas for challenges or get really bored of only 3 room styles I might consider this.

Why is it called King Nareik's Journey when Rallim is the one going on a journey?
Ummm... uhhh...

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-13-2019 03:31 PM]
10-13-2019 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 3666

File: King Nareiks Journey Nuntar.demo (20.9 KB)
Downloaded 1 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey (+5)  
I've reached what seems to be the last room of the current version (MF 5N4W). Demos attached.
Click here to view the secret text

10-21-2019 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 1735
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey (0)  
Thanks Nuntar, I'll take a more in-depth look at your feedback later, but just wanted to quickly say that all rooms are definitely possible. Although this may be a sign that they need moving to later in the hold if they are that tough.
10-21-2019 at 07:12 AM
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162

File: King Nareiks Journey- KituU demos.demo (23.9 KB)
Downloaded 0 times.
Hi, certainly it's too good to be sleeping in your pc, it will make a great hold. Appreciate this “classic drod flavor”, brings back such good memories
So very enjoyable, and engaging. Very nice puzzles, and some are awesome!
Difficulty is quite varied, from very easy to quite challenging

Noticed in editor Spare Rooms, can they be accessed to play ?

Here are demos, all solved, and some comments

10-31-2019 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
Nice hold.

Some short comments:

11-07-2019 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Journey (The JtRH sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com