Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Make it More Challenging (Hold for July 2016 contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged

File: Make it More Challenging.hold (10.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Make it More Challenging (+1)  
Back in July 2016 or so, there was a contest called "Make it More Challenging", based on a suggestion I made. This contest involved a small hold, with rooms made by Chaco, blorx1, and Insoluble. Entrants were invited to come up with challenges for the hold's puzzle rooms.

Insoluble ran that contest, but he's unfortunately too busy with life in general right now to manage an architecture thread. So he gave me permission to post the hold.

I have posted an edited version where I've added scrolls describing all the challenges. Most of these are word-for-word the same as submitted, but a few were quite long so I've reworded them. To avoid messing with brain pathfinding, scrolls are in the hallways before the room, with the exception of 1S1E (which is directly beside another puzzle room. However, it doesn't have a brain or red serpent).

Currently, none of these challenges are actually implemented through scripting. Some of them aren't feasible to script at all (unfortunately the winning entry is in this category), while others may not be much fun to execute. So the main feedback I'm looking for is "which of these challenges are worth actually scripting". Otherwise, this is pretty much ready to go.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-02-2019 02:16 AM]
09-05-2019 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Make it More Challenging (0)  
It's been nearly three weeks with no replies, so I'm going to bump this.

Currently the only change I plan to make is to remove the architect's scroll in 1E. It would be cool to use the "Play video" command to include Lucky Luc's guitar video, but that would increase the file size a lot and probably cause problems.

If I don't get any thoughts on what to implement or other comments by October 1st, I'll just submit this to HA without any challenges scripted.
09-23-2019 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Make it More Challenging (0)  
It's October 1st! And nobody made any comments, so I guess I'm submitting this scripting-free.

I've been poking around this and only noticed now that the demo for my Mud Management challenge in 3E doesn't actually work - it allows the mud mother's blob to grow. Since I can't reach an eye's line of sight and get back in time to block the south blob from the west, the challenge appears to be impossible. I've added a note about this to that scroll.
10-02-2019 at 02:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Make it More Challenging (Hold for July 2016 contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com