Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Script Injection to Existing Rooms (Adding challenges to pre-TSS holds.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Script Injection to Existing Rooms (+2)  
5 second pitch: Optionally run an additional script when you play or replay a room.

===

Here's the idea.

A Script Injection consists of the following bits:
* One character script
* Room and Hold location info
* Description

Injections can be exported and imported to files, downloaded from CaravelNet, or included in holds (like the demos to be seen from the main menu).

While playing you have the option to activate an injection if you have one for a given room. When you activate it, the room restarts and you then play the room as per normal, but with the extra script running.
Once you leave the room, the game automatically restores back to where you started from.

===

So, the main use is to add challenges to existing holds, without having to convert them to TSS and reupload. Say I wanted to create a formal challenge for this room in Tar Ballroom. Here's how I'd envision it working

* In the editor I'd go to the relevant room to create the injection. I'd create the character script ("wait for player to hit central orb while room isn't clear, wait for clear room, award challenge") and write a description "Challenge: Solve the room by hitting the central orb"
* Export the injection to file, submit it on the forums similar to a normal hold.
* It gets reviewed and approved.
* Players with CaravelNet can now download it in game. On completion the challenge demo now includes the fact that a script injection was used, and id info for which one, so the spider can verify the demo properly. Only "official" injections will award challenges for the challenges scoreboard, of course.

===

Originally I was thinking you'd have to limit the scripting allowed to prevent changes to the room, but then I realised that this could also allow new types of challenges that would normally involve creating a copy of the room (e.g. "solve the room but with a spear", "replace the goblin with a roach queen", "remove this corridor", "deal with extra queens" etc) Injections of this sort could optionally be included with the hold when it is exported.

Not limiting the scripting is why you'd need to autorestore once an injected room is complete, otherwise scripting could allow a player to bypass a room, mess with hold variables, or get to a normally impossible entry point which would interfere with high scores

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 07-09-2019 02:15 AM]
07-09-2019 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Script Injection to Existing Rooms (0)  
Another use would be to fix really bad unintended solutions.

Creative thinking, but somehow I'm not sure if I find your idea wonderful or awful, and I expect others to feel the same way about this :)

I guess that makes it potentially revolutionary.

07-09-2019 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Script Injection to Existing Rooms (+2)  
This was in my original proposal for Challenges. Unfortunately it didn't make the cut. It would be awesome to see this added.

07-09-2019 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Script Injection to Existing Rooms (Adding challenges to pre-TSS holds.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com