Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Confused about DROD Savegame Format (-)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MondSemmel
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Confused about DROD Savegame Format (+3)  
Hello everyone! I've played all major DROD titles, and figured I'd boot up the game again now that I've bought the Smitemaster's Collections in the current Steam sale.

But then I realized I had half a dozen different save game and profile files from the various titles, and since this is the first time I'd play the game on Steam, I don't know which savegame(s) / profile(s) to move into the Steam game folder or import in-game.

Note that the way Steam works, Gunthro and the Epic Blunder is the main game, and all holds older than The Second Sky (plus the Smitemaster's Selections) are DLC there. The Steam version is apparently 5.1.0.6545.

--

What I have:

- A "<username>.player" and "<username> saves.player" file each from King Dugan's Dungeon, Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath, and The Second Sky respectively.
- Folders called "drod-3_0", "drod-4_0" and "drod-5_0" containing files like hold.dat, player.dat, save.dat and text.dat.

--

Questions:

- What's the benefit of importing an old player profile in the first place?
- What happens if I import multiple player profiles with the same name? Does the old profile get overwritten, or are profiles merged?
- What about the files in the "drod-3_0" etc. folders? Are those save games, too? I wouldn't know how to import those if they were.
- Finally, is there any way to have all save games, room solutions etc. to multiple holds saved in a single DROD profile? Such that I can switch between holds and use the Restore functionality everywhere?

Thanks for your time!

[Last edited by MondSemmel at 07-08-2019 12:00 PM]
07-08-2019 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Confused about DROD Savegame Format (+5)  
Hi!

Great questions. Thanks for posting. It's likely that players are using this functionality in their own ways, but the way I see it:

What's the benefit of importing an old player profile in the first place?
You will get that player profile and its accompanying saved games/progress in that game installation. If you've finished a game, this might not be that useful; it's most helpful to keep your progress if you are mid-game and want to continue playing in a different installation.

It's also useful to keep a player profile around if you have been architecting your own levels and want to keep the author profile around to keep working on your homemade levels.
- What happens if I import multiple player profiles with the same name? Does the old profile get overwritten, or are profiles merged?
Your player name isn't relevant here.
Internal data is maintained to track the distinctiveness of each player profile. You are welcome to import multiple player profiles with the same name, and they will remain distinct, sitting side-by-side in your player list.

If you do import the exact same player profile multiple times (e.g., different version snapshots of it from the same install), then the game will merge whatever progress is contained in each of them into the same local installed player profile. Depending on how much history there is, this process might take a few moments to complete.
- What about the files in the "drod-3_0" etc. folders? Are those save games, too? I wouldn't know how to import those if they were.
No, you shouldn't be touching those files unless you know what you're doing with them. These are the internal data files from which your player profiles can be exported to a file on disk.

It might be good to keep these files around until you're confident you've migrated whatever player profiles and progress you care about into a different installation.
- Finally, is there any way to have all save games, room solutions etc. to multiple holds saved in a single DROD profile? Such that I can switch between holds and use the Restore functionality everywhere?
Yes. Choose "Export saved games" (I think that's what the button is called) on the Select Player screen for the player profiles you want to keep. This will create a file of that profile's saved games (i.e., progress) on disk. The profile itself is not retained, only the progress.

Repeat this for each separate game install and player profile you want to merge progress from.

In your Steam build (for instance), import each of these files into your active player profile. This will merge in all progress from your old player profile into your active profile.

Note that only progress for currently installed holds/level sets will be merged in; anything else is ignored. You can always import more holds and then re-import the same progress file at a later time to merge its respective progress in.

Does this help?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-09-2019 08:48 PM]
07-09-2019 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MondSemmel
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Confused about DROD Savegame Format (+2)  
Thanks for the helpful and in-depth reply! I think that answers all the questions I had or even could have had :).

I followed your advice and successfully imported the various save games I had:

Thanks again!

[Last edited by MondSemmel at 07-10-2019 12:04 AM]
07-09-2019 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Confused about DROD Savegame Format (+1)  
Great! I'm glad I could help :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-11-2019 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Confused about DROD Savegame Format (-)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com