Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Move counter
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Move counter (+2)  
Hello,
there is obviously a variable containing the number of moves, or the high scores wouldn't exist; however, there is no obvious way to see this number on screen.

A quick search of the forum did not easily return anything related to it, please forgive me if I am unearthing a dead corpse.

Is there a way to see this number on screen while playing, updated after each move?

If not, I am a hobbyist programmer, and would like to see this information, if only for myself :

Can it be done with the drod modding capabilities (whatever they are, I haven't looked this yet) ?

If not, is there the teensiest bit of a chance this mod would be adopted by the team if I was to spend WAY longer time on understanding and compiling the code than on coding this very simple mod? If there is absolutely no chance it would be adopted (for example because it's already been talked to death and is against the spirit of the game, or some such thing), I'd probably never undertake such an endeavour.

In every case, best regards everyone
06-19-2019 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Move counter (+2)  
Hi,

While in the main game screen, the move counter can be enabled/disabled by pressing F7. This is listed in the extended keyboard commands section of the in-game help screen.

For programming your own NPCs in your own holds, I checked just now and apparently there isn't a variable holding the current turn count. You could make your own and increment that by 1 every turn though (although adding in speed potions would make that a little more complicated).

Hopefully this helps, otherwise let us know if you'd like more info. I admit a lot of the function key definitions aren't the most intuitive thing in the world; for example the F6 demo screen is one of the most important game helper tools in the game and its existence isn't hinted at by the UI, only in the help commands. But it's there.

06-19-2019 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: Move counter (+1)  
That seemed so weird to me, I am happy to stand corrected, and that indeed, some better minds had thought of it before me.

You also spared me understanding and compiling lots of code, thanks a hundred times! :)
06-19-2019 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Move counter
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No