Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosion behavior inconsistency
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
IP: Logged

File: Explosions.hold (1 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Explosion behavior inconsistency (+5)  
I put a cracked orb between two bombs meant to blow up on the same turn. But depending on how I set them off, the cracked orb can end up either broken or totally destroyed. Specifically:

• If both bombs explode thanks to fuses, the orb becomes broken.

• If both bombs explode because they've been struck by weapons, the orb is completely destroyed.

• If both bombs explode because they're on activated firetraps, the orb is completely destroyed.

I attached a hold to demonstrate these interactions. Is this intended behavior?
06-16-2019 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Explosion behavior inconsistency (+1)  
I wouldn't call this exactly intended, but it does follow from the way things work I DROD.

During each turn, a lot of events take place: monster move and die, mirrors shatter, mimics are placed, kegs and bombs explode, scripted characters do their thing, plates are pressed and depressed, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Some events I this processing order happen after others. In particular, stabbing a bomb is processed early, but fuse-lighting a bomb is processed late. Now I don't know the processing order very well, but apparently, cracking of orbs happens before fuse-lighting of bombs.

Still, this could be considered a bug. Some events (like mimic placement, I believe) actually trigger a "go back and redo a part of the processing sequence" to avoid quirky behaviour. Perhaps this is one of the things that could similarly be fixed.

While this explanation is incomplete and perhaps not quite correct, I hope it helps you understand things.

In any case: I recommend to NOT make your room depend on this behaviour. It might be changed during some bug fixing update, but more importantly, players will be very confused :)

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 06-16-2019 09:36 AM]
06-16-2019 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Explosion behavior inconsistency (+1)  
You have a cracked orb in range of two bombs.

It makes sense that if the bombs explode due to separate events in the same turn (such as two weapons), the orb is first broken by one explosion, then completely destroyed by the other.

It makes sense that if the bombs explode due to a single event (such as fuses lighting bombs), the orb is only damaged once.

What does not make sense to me is that firetrap-activated explosions are able to completely destroy the orb. In other cases, firetraps are treated as simultaneous events (e.g. if a firetrap damages a rattlesnake's tail, another firetrap cannot damage the "new" tail in the same turn).

So I would consider the firetrap case a bug (but unlikely to be fixed -- no-one is really working on DROD any more), and the other two cases safe to use.

06-16-2019 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Explosion behavior inconsistency (0)  
Hmm, Nuntar's explanation seems to make much more sense when you look at the mechanism.

From a 'logical' point of view it's still confusing to me. First multiple bombs do multiple damage, or they do just one damage whatsoever. That I could understand. This seems just a bit random to me.

06-16-2019 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Explosion behavior inconsistency (+2)  
This is probably due to the number of times that the explosion is being processed.

1. During the burning fuse stage of the calculation explosions are only processed once. It doesn't matter how many bombs or fuses are involved; all detonated bombs are considered to be a single explosion.

2. Weapons striking a bomb cause the bomb to explode on the turn of the wielder of the weapon, so each bomb would be calculated on a different character's turn. Thus the bombs are treated as separate explosions.

3. We already know from scripting limitations that firetraps are treated as weapon stabs in some cases. Here I would guess that during the firetrap calculation each trap is done in sequence with some kind of hidden turn order. Since the traps are individually calculated separately, this would be treated as two separate events causing explosions since two different "weapons" are hitting the bombs.

06-16-2019 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosion behavior inconsistency
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com