Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (I want dry-erase markers included with the book:)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
I want dry-erase markers included with the book:
No, I have some already
No, I'd prefer to pick up some at a store/online to keep cost down
Yes, because it's more convenient, even though it will raise base cost and shipping
Yes, because I'm getting it as a gift and want everything packaged together
Possibly, so an add-on option gives me more time to decide
I'm undecided, could see myself going either way
Other (please elaborate)
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (+1)  
Twisty Little Passages is a book of dungeon crawl adventure puzzles that we're launching on Kickstarter May 14.

The pages are laminated and you use a fine-tipped dry-erase marker to draw right on the pages to track your progress through each dungeon, gathering treasure, updating your stats and battling enemies.

Early feedback has been split on whether to raise KS reward base cost and shipping by including some dry-erase markers, shrink wrapped together with the book. (For instance, US media mail can't be used to keep your shipping cost low when including pens with a book.)

Please share what option you'd most prefer for yourself when backing the TLP campaign to get copies for yourself and others (if applicable).
(Please don't answer with a guess on what others hypothetically might want.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-07-2019 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
davidatk100
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (+2)  
I'm a bit split on this one. For myself, I would rather not have a marker included, solely to keep cost down. If I buy as a gift, I would also prefer not to have a marker included to keep cost down and source one myself. I'm in Australia so shipping cost is an issue. In the past I have used a shipping forwarding company who have been cheaper than shipping direct. I might consider doing this for TLP depending on cost.

For other people, I'm concerned that it might reduce their experience. However, I'm reminded of what Dischorran said the other day:
Dischorran wrote:
if someone can't handle the choice of a couple options when it comes time to finalize their kickstart payment, they're probably doomed when it comes to solving the book itself.
I feel this will also apply to people who have have difficulties caused by the absence of a pen. :brklnk
05-08-2019 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (+1)  
davidatk100 wrote:
For other people, I'm concerned that it might reduce their experience.
Fair idea to express. But it's possible that there aren't actually many people in Mike's target group that would care. If everyone votes their own preference, not altruistically for someone else, we'll see a clearer picture.

I selfishly declared "No. I already have one."

-Erik

05-08-2019 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Status update:

On the polls here and on BGG thus far, we have three respondents who would like to receive pens included with the book and one "maybe/add-on" out of a total of twenty-four responses.

05-10-2019 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Question: I have always been a fan of grease pencils. Is the lamination suitable for those types of writing tools?

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 05-10-2019 10:31 PM]
05-10-2019 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
The spitemaster wrote:
Question: I have always been a fan of grease pencils. Is the lamination suitable for those types of writing tools?
It seems like the kind of question that can't be answered with 100% confidence. Dry erase markers follow a certain standard. Do grease pencils? Maybe one pencil would be fine and another one not.

But I don't know much about em. No grease pencil expert here. I could test out various forms of grease on the booklet though and report back. Bacon... Elbow...

-Erik

05-10-2019 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I don't know how grease pencils would work either.

At present, I'd have to suggest that any pen besides a dry-erase one is not recommended.

Edit: However, I have experimented with using dry-erase crayons on page protectors to solve multiple prototype puzzles, and those work well and can be wiped off fairly easily with a cloth. You might like using those.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dry+erase+crayons

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-13-2019 05:23 PM]
05-11-2019 at 12:51 AM
mrimer
icon Re: "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (0)  
Poll update (integrated with Board Game Geek poll results):

30 respondents
4 would like markers
2 would like an optional add-on for markers

I'll estimate these results as indicating that 10-30% of backers would like markers included.

I'd like to ensure this important minority is covered. I'm working on adding support to have markers included with campaign pledges by selecting markers as an add-on. This would be done following the campaign once it funds through BackerKit, our post-campaign pledge manager. It would be a very simple process to select that option.

05-13-2019 at 05:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "Twisty Little Passages" -- poll on including dry-erase pens (I want dry-erase markers included with the book:) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com