Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (+1)  
I'm not having any luck here, even with a full complement of Stalwarts.

Looking for any advice, or a demo if that's not feasible.
04-21-2019 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (+1)  
Make sure you didn't accidentally kill the stalwart in 1s1w by stabbing him as you entered the room. Have to check my demo when I get a chance.
04-21-2019 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405

File: aumtlich.png (185 KB)
Downloaded 290 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (+11)  
Because of the nature of stalwarts and chaotic horde behaviour it's pretty difficult to give particularly useful advice for rooms like this.

The aumtlich seem to like splitting up into a northern and a southern group because of the way the stalwarts approach them.
In most of my attempts at this room the stalwarts died very quickly and even though I got very close to conquering the room a few times it's pretty difficult to take care of one of the two groups and not be in a hopeless position for the other one.
What finally helped me solve the room was one of the stalwarts surviving long enough to use as protection against flanking aumtlich so as to not have to give up that much ground and be in a better position for the second group.

Of course that formation pretty much just happened accidentally because we're talking about stalwarts and I am sure there are lots of other more elegent ways of doing it but I was pleasantly surprised that I actually got one of the stalwarts to actually be useful. :)

Here's a screenshot and a sequence of moves for how to get there because I realise that this sort of advice really isn't that helpful in rooms like this.
Screenshot:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Aquator at 04-21-2019 11:39 PM]
04-21-2019 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (0)  
I can get the rest of the northern herd from there, but then the stalwart turns the wrong way and I get overwhelmed, not sure what to do.
04-27-2019 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
Click here to view the secret text

Please request a demo if you still can't get it.

[Last edited by azb at 04-27-2019 12:34 PM]
04-27-2019 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
That's what I'm trying to do, and like I said, I can get the rest of the northern horde, but when then the southern horde catches up and the stalwart turns north and dies and I'm overwhelmed.
04-27-2019 at 01:24 PM
azb
Rank Points: 460

File: TOO The Prison 2W Victory.demo (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, my solution was actually different: it involved going down instead of up, and actually kept some of the stalwarts alive.

04-27-2019 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Thank you! I tried a ton of times and couldn't get anywhere.
04-27-2019 at 06:31 PM
DrBug
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (+2)  
Great hold so far but this room has got me bugged. I tried azb's download but when I start this room I only have 5 stalwarts not 7. Any ideas?
07-17-2019 at 10:47 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West (+2)  
You need to save at least one stalwart in every room on the level. The check happens just after the room is conquered (the stalwart will say "Thanks Bongthro, I'll meet you...."

You should be able to check your victory demos for the other rooms on the level.to see if you accidentally killed all of them in one room.

Note that in 1S1W, the stalwart starts close to the room edge, so it is possible to unknowingly kill him if you enter with your sword in the wrong starting position. Ditto in 1N2W, but there's two guys there to start with, so it's not as bad.

And be wary of leaving the room before the stalwart says something - I think there's a room or two where you can leave just after a stalwart kills the last monster. If you don't give the stalwart a chance to talk, then he won't appear at the end.
07-17-2019 at 12:27 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Oceanic Oligarchy : The Prison : 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com