Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A possibly unsolvable backtracking issue (TCB, River Dugan: 4S4E)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon A possibly unsolvable backtracking issue (+1)  
In TCB, River Dugan: 4S4E, it's possible to exit to the secret without clearing the room. In fact, it's possible to have all four serpents alive when this happens. And of course, the room is unsolvable from any entrance other than the western one, which can no longer be reached.

And I'm genuinely stumped on how to fix it. Putting a green door over the secret would make it too obvious. Replacing one of the green doors near the entrance with a force arrow means the player can kill the nests so the skippers don't harass them while they drop the trapdoors. I have no idea what to do about this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-19-2019 01:35 PM]
04-18-2019 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: A possibly unsolvable backtracking issue (+1)  
It's not that big a deal in practice. There are unavoidable checkpoints in 4S4E, so you can restore to one and restart the room. Even if you completed the secret room, you won't have to do it again because it's unrequired to progress and it only needs to be done once for mastery.

To fix it would need to add an exit to an earlier room and put a force arrow or platform and water or something to prevent going the wrong way.
04-18-2019 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: A possibly unsolvable backtracking issue (0)  
I do think the concept of using a platform as a one-way passage is a bit underused in the official holds.

And since I'm a stickler about preserving demos (at least successful ones) I think that if any walls are to be broken down, the new passage should be guarded by a red sister gate. In case there are any demos where the player bumps against every wall in the room.

04-19-2019 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A possibly unsolvable backtracking issue (TCB, River Dugan: 4S4E)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com