Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Levels over Floors (Minor Curiosities)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
IP: Logged
icon Levels over Floors (0)  
This is just my curiosity about DROD happening, but why exactly is the term "level" used instead of "floor"? Like I understand that nowdays it works a lot better cause holds have diversified their settings so using "level" makes more sense in that regard, but the term's been used even when the series was still fresh and KDD-only, where I personally feel like "floor" would've fit better.

02-10-2019 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Levels over Floors (+2)  
Whoever heard of a dungeon having floors?

02-10-2019 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
icon Re: Levels over Floors (+1)  
Oh, huh, well then. I have never seen that webcomic before and I absolutely love you for introducing this to me.

02-11-2019 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Levels over Floors (0)  
Perhaps it's because King Dugan's Dungeon, the 'original' DROD and what DROD originally consisted entirely of, persistently and continuously refers to its floors as "Level [number]". And so does the second offical DROD hold, JtRH (because it's in "the same location" to some extent as KDD). That much exposure to the insistent terminology led to lots of user-made holds of the time also referring to their levels as "levels", which one imagines continued the linguistic phenomenon.

On the other hand, the transition from calling everything a "dungeon" to consistently calling them "holds" seems to have occurred in-setting either after or alongside the transition in the real world? I'm less sure of that since I'm not entirely familiar with the history.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-11-2019 02:37 AM]
02-11-2019 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
The first recorded instance of them being called "Holds" seems to be Mike's post here. That's in topic #21 on this forum, so it seems like the name hold may have been used from the creation of DROD... or perhaps the development of JtRH.

Also in that thread: the first instance of "puzzle potential".
02-11-2019 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Levels over Floors (+2)  
Well, Rooted Hold is mentioned in the ending to KDD, but I don't think the term "hold" is explained there. Still, the word in conjunction with DROD clearly goes that far back.
02-11-2019 at 05:22 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Levels over Floors (+6)  
Because everything in DROD is floorlessly consistent.
02-11-2019 at 09:45 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
The term "hold" makes a lot of lore sense given their purpose, but was that really planned 11 years in advance?

02-11-2019 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Yes.

Credit goes to Erik for having a master plan.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-15-2019 at 07:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Levels over Floors (Minor Curiosities)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com