Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : King Dugan's Alternate Reality (Contest for February)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1055
IP: Logged
icon King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+5)  
King Dugan's Dungeon is the very first DROD hold, and set the stage for all later DROD installments. Over 25 levels, it introduced many of the classic DROD elements - roaches, orbs and goblins to name just a few. But what if it had introduced an additional element? What if something from the future was instead introduced in the past? In this contest, you will have the chance to reshape history! (But not actually. We don't want to create some kind of DRODpoint paradox and unravel time.)

The aim of this content is to create a level from an 'alternate reality' King Dugan's Dungeon. To do so, you'll pick something from a later version of DROD, and use it with other elements present in KDD to peer into another world. To keep things simple, you'll only pick one idea to introduce ahead of schedule, but some ideas come with multiple elements.

Rules

1. You may only use elements that were present in the original King Dugan's Dungeon, plus either a single element or a group of elements from the set of restricted elements.
2. You may not create forbidden elements via the Generate Entity, Build and Build Marker script commands.
3. You can't change the player role.
4. Your level has to be masterable.
5. Your level has to not break any forum rules.
6. Checkpoints are allowed.
7. As funny as I'm sure it would be, you can't just submit a level from KDD with one element swapped with another.
8. Your level can have a maximum of 15 rooms.
9. You may submit up to three entries. Each one should be in a different hold.

Scripting

Don't.

Okay, you can use non-visible NPCs to award challenges and make characters speak. You may also place build markers if an element set allows it.

Unrestricted elements

You can use these elements as much as you want. While a few are not 1.0 elements, they are functionally identical to actual 1.0 elements or only provide cosmetic value, so they get in.

Click here to view the secret text

Restricted Elements

To create your alternate timeline, you'll need to add something that wasn't in the original King Dugan's Dungeon. Of course, some DROD elements can stand alone, while others need a little more support. All the restricted elements have been grouped into Singletons and Sets. If you choose a singleton element, you may only use that in addition to the KDD elements. If you pick a set, you may use any element in that set. You don't have to use all elements in a set. If an element appears in multiple sets, your level can still only contain elements from a single set.

Singletons:

1. All directions
2. You may only connect pressure plates to doors
3. Both active and inactive
4. If you use these elements, you can connect orbs to their active and inactive forms.
5. If you use Rock Giants, you can't place individual Golems. It's fine for them to appear when a Giant is stabbed.

Sets:

1. You may only connect variant orbs to doors

Forbidden Elements

You can't use any of this stuff.

Prizes

We have the classic contest prizes:

1st: 100 rank points and your pick from the wonderful Prize Pile
2nd: 50 rank points
3rd: 25 rank points

Submissions

Submit all entries to the submission thread.

The deadline is the 24th of February, or negative 265 weeks, 3 days from now.

[Last edited by hyperme at 02-09-2019 07:34 PM]
02-03-2019 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+1)  
Ooh, I have an idea. Everyone will hate me if I do it. Decisions, decisions...
02-09-2019 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (0)  
Someone Else wrote:
Do it!

02-10-2019 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (0)  
Someone Else wrote:

Not EVERYONE hates gentryii...

02-10-2019 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Delpolo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+3)  
Hi! This is my first contest, so I just wanted to double-check some stuff before I submit my level.

1) Using the custom styles (such as the AE styles) in the DROD 5 engine is fine and would be preserved in the compilation hold, right?

2) Do I need to name my hold/file anything specific (ie., the hold name itself the name of my submission), or is "King Dugan's Alternate Reality" fine as a hold name (and the level name itself is the name of my submission)?

3) Do I only submit the hold file, or do I need to include (say) demos of all the room clears?

4) Since all the levels are being compiled into one hold, any hold ending we set won't be seen, right? On the other hand, the level entrance text will still be preserved?

5) It seems like we need stairs at the entrance to return to the contest hub (for players to leave if they're stuck or want to take a break and visit another submission), though I would also like stairs at the end of the level after a blue door akin to classic KDD levels; do we need to set both stairs' destinations to anything specific, or can both stairs end the hold and the contest host will take care of pointing them to the right place?

6) If I somehow made a mistake in my level (accidentally included a banned element, a room can't be cleared, etc.), would I be notified and have the chance to edit my submission, or are submissions only checked after the deadline and penalized/disqualified without a second chance?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Also, apologies for asking so late (less than 11 hours remaining, and I'll be asleep for the latter half!), but me participating in the first place is pretty last-minute, I've been busy all month until Friday...

02-25-2019 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+2)  
Can't speak for hyperme, but I believe that when contests get compiled, the end-of-level/hold stairs in an entry get mapped to a "victory" entrance in the main hold, that mark that contest entry as complete on the hub.

The ending text can theoretically be used for this "Victory" entrance, but compiler has to cut and paste it, I think.

I'd include the standard blue door end of level stairs (that go to hold ending), plus an ending text.
02-25-2019 at 02:12 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+2)  
1. Custom styles will be preserved if the person playing the entry also has that style downloaded. If they don't, your entry will be converted to one of the default styles, which may mess with the aesthetics if you've done something fancy with the original.

2. You should give your entry an original name so that it can be easily distinguished from other entries. I guess you could technically name it "King Dugan's Alternate Reality" if you want to, but I'd recommend picking a different name.

3. Demos aren't required for the voting phase of the contest. That being said, I would highly recommend playing through your entry from start to finish at least once before submitting it just to make sure that it is possible to complete. Impossible or inaccessible rooms will probably make people grumpy and they'll vote you a lower score as a result.

4. Correct. Level entrance text will be preserved. If you have level end text that you want included in the compilation, you should mention it in your submission post to make sure that the organizer is aware of it.

5. Yes, include stairs that lead back to the hub so people can leave your entry early. Also include a second set of stairs (probably behind a blue door) that the player can take to mark your entry as complete. The organizer will set up the hub so that these stairs go where they need to go.

6. Notifying you of mistakes probably won't happen unless you get somebody else to agree to test your entry in advance. You won't be disqualified unless you did something really egregious though. The organizer might say something if they notice an error, but in all likelihood you'll just be notified during voting and depending on the degree of the mistake your entry might be docked marks. This isn't necessarily going to be the case though; during The Untold Tales of Beethro Budkin contest the winning entry broke the rules (2 rooms included a forbidden element) but still ended up getting the highest votes.

02-25-2019 at 03:05 AM
Delpolo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: King Dugan's Alternate Reality (+1)  
I see, thank you both!

02-25-2019 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : King Dugan's Alternate Reality (Contest for February)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com