Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Is a Console/Switch Port Possible?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Baine53
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Is a Console/Switch Port Possible? (+1)  
I saw that post about a mobile port, and while I don't think that that would be all that feasible without a TON of work, I would LOVE a port to the Nintendo Switch so I can DROD more portably. :thumbsup

I think it could bring a bunch of new people to DROD, especially if they include a small demo.

What do you think? would it be too hard to port/ not work right without a keyboard?
01-25-2019 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: Is a Console/Switch Port Possible? (+1)  
The problem with it as I see it is that joysticks are *very* imprecise. In a game like DROD where every move matters, you wouldn't want to keep accidentally moving somewhere you don't want to. There could be some way to do it using just the D-Pad and ABXY but I don't think it would work particularly well.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-25-2019 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Hold D-Pad to chose direction, move by pressing X. Problem solved :).

01-25-2019 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Baine53
I think that the DPad would be a better option than controls sticks, in general. The fact that there's unlimited undo would also help with slightly imprecise controls.
01-26-2019 at 04:46 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Is a Console/Switch Port Possible? (+2)  
skell wrote:
Hold D-Pad to chose direction, move by pressing X. Problem solved :).
That's what I thought would likely work best in my head too. But it still seems very not-fun.

It makes me dwell on how the design of consoles and game controllers (or take it further to mobile devices) heavily biases what games will be successful on them.

There are games that work best with a...

touchscreen (Fruit Ninja)
mouse (Starcraft, Lemmings)
keyboard (DROD, Zork)
kinect (you get the idea...)

Yeah, you can port them over to another device and make it work. But should you?

-Erik

01-26-2019 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Is a Console/Switch Port Possible? (0)  
On the other hand, I bet turning your sword with the shoulder buttons would be super satisfying.

01-26-2019 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Baine53
Maybe Zl/Zr for rotation, and L/R for diagonal movement? Like, hold L and press up for northwest, R+down for southeast, etc.

[Last edited by Baine53 at 01-27-2019 06:40 AM]
01-27-2019 at 06:39 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's what I thought would likely work best in my head too. But it still seems very not-fun.

I actually tried this and it's pretty fun, though you need to make sure the auto-repeat on hold kicks in fast.

01-27-2019 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 112
The REAL question: how would stuff like the level editor work in a Switch port, and the even REAL-ER question... What about CaravelNet support?

A touchscreen might be okay for the former, but Nintendo Switch Online does kinda bring CaravelNet connectivity into question. I do know Nintendo DOES allow exceptions to requiring Switch Online if the game is all online like the Jackbox Party Pack, so maybe they'd make an exception for DROD since CaravelNet is it's own third-party server beast.

(Also, saves across the PC versions would be the real-EST problem, which might need some MicroSD card shenanigans.)

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
01-28-2019 at 05:53 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Is a Console/Switch Port Possible? (+2)  
skell wrote:
I actually tried this and it's pretty fun, though you need to make sure the auto-repeat on hold kicks in fast.
You know.,. I can picture it better now and it does seem potentially fun. You push in the direction you want to move, and some cue shows where Beethro will go. Push the button and he's there. Hold down on the button, and he keeps going. Not bad.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-02-2019 08:00 PM]
01-28-2019 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Baine53
What engine does DROD run on, anyway? How hard would it be to port it to another platform, or would it require a complete remake from the ground up?
02-01-2019 at 04:58 AM
ErikH2000
Baine53 wrote:
What engine does DROD run on, anyway? How hard would it be to port it to another platform, or would it require a complete remake from the ground up?
It uses a library called SDL. I know when you say Engine, you're thinking like Unity or Unreal.

-Erik

02-01-2019 at 05:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Is a Console/Switch Port Possible?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com