Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Music
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ezequielb
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
IP: Logged
icon Music (+1)  
I've been playing Architect Edition (the one with the multiple heads of Beethro turning around, in the main menu). I've replaced the soundtrack with Webfoot DROD music (because it's awesome). But on opening the DROD.dat file, I notice that there are only 9 tracks. What happens in Level 10? Is the soundtrack supposed to start over from track n. 1?
(Please note that I had to set every track to play the music file of the level I'm currently on, because, for some reason, if I assing each track to the corresponding music file, the game plays it randomly. I say this to explain that I can't let the game choose the music by itself).
01-23-2019 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ezequielb
icon Re: Music (0)  
So no answer? Could some kind spirit play level 10 and note down which music track plays? Pretty please?

[Last edited by ezequielb at 01-23-2019 04:49 PM]
01-23-2019 at 04:48 PM
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Music (+1)  
This forum isn't anywhere near fast-paced enough to get impatient after nobody replying for just a day or so.

Anyway, the music in DROD is not based on "number of level you're on", it's based on which "room style" the level is, along with a few other factors such as how many monsters are in the room (sort of). For example, there's a set of music tracks assigned to the "Deep Spaces" style, the "Fortress" style, etc. I've never tried modifying the music myself but I would guess that just trying to jam whichever tracks you want in for a given level is going to have problems because of that.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-23-2019 05:29 PM]
01-23-2019 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ezequielb
Wow! Thanks, I didn't know that.
01-23-2019 at 07:06 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Also, if you are playing in Webfoot DROD there is probably only one song per room style. Never played Webfoot myself, so I'm not sure, but the later Architect's Edition only has one song per style, while the modern version has four I think. Plus different music for going down stairs.

01-24-2019 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Also, if you are playing in Webfoot DROD there is probably only one song per room style. Never played Webfoot myself, so I'm not sure, but the later Architect's Edition only has one song per style, while the modern version has four I think. Plus different music for going down stairs.
Styles introduced in JtRH have 2 attack themes, 2 puzzle themes and 1 ambient theme; those introduced in TCB have two of each; those introduced in GatEB have four of each; I'm not sure about TSS but I know Caldera has one more theme than the other two new styles.

01-24-2019 at 04:08 AM
ezequielb
mauvebutterfly wrote:

Wefoot Drod has three songs per Level. For example, Level 1 files are LEV1-AWE, LEV1-GUS, and LEV1-S16. I think they have some differences; I should listen to them more closely. But I don't know in which situations they are played.

[Last edited by ezequielb at 01-25-2019 02:06 AM]
01-25-2019 at 02:04 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Music (+3)  
ezequielb wrote:
Wefoot Drod has three songs per Level. For example, Level 1 files are LEV1-AWE, LEV1-GUS, and LEV1-S16. They all sound exactly the same.
That had something to do with the three versions being tuned to match three popular sound cards at the time. It used to be that if you wanted sound in your games that sounded okay, you'd buy an extra card and put it in your computer.

-Erik

01-25-2019 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ezequielb
ErikH2000 wrote:
That had something to do with the three versions being tuned to match three popular sound cards at the time. It used to be that if you wanted sound in your games that sounded okay, you'd buy an extra card and put it in your computer.

-Erik

Oooh, I see now. I guessed that it would be something like that. (Heh... that is so nineties... I mean the soundcards...) Sorry, I modified my last comment when you were repling.
01-25-2019 at 02:20 AM
ezequielb
Hey ErikH2000, can you help me with the nine music tracks of Webfoot DROD? In the Build menu of AE, I see the nine types of dungeon: Cavern, Cliff, Slime, etc. So, does LEV1 correspond to Cavern, LEV2 to Cliff, and so on? I definitely now that Cavern belongs to LEV1 because there is a playthrough on Youtube.

Edit: nevermind, the Build menu plays the music accordingly.

[Last edited by ezequielb at 01-25-2019 06:19 PM]
01-25-2019 at 06:13 PM
ezequielb
Wow, I just realised that "Gladyoucame" would have played in Level 8. Would that soothing tune have helped me to not want to break the screen because of the tar?
01-26-2019 at 12:00 AM
ErikH2000
ezequielb wrote:
Wow, I just realised that "Gladyoucame" would have played in Level 8. Would that soothing tune have helped me to not want to break the screen because of the tar?
Well, there's the problem, you savage beast!

-Erik

01-26-2019 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
But "Glad You Came" is used for Ice while "The Way Down" is used for Lava.

My stuff:

01-26-2019 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ezequielb

File: LEV3-AWE.MID (56.6 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
NoahT wrote:

Maybe it's different in AE.

So, I'm in Level 11 and the Webfoot soundtrack is awesome. I'm attaching the music if anybody wants to hear it. It kicks some serious butt. I'd like to know, is the composer in this forum?
01-26-2019 at 07:43 PM
ezequielb
NoahT wrote:

Gladyoucame is "LEV6" in the original game, so I put it in the Game6 slot in the AE file. Maybe it's supposed to play in another level type.
01-26-2019 at 08:08 PM
NoahT
"Glad You Came" is actually supposed to correspond to "lev5", since the first track "Whistler" is supposed to correspond to the title screen track "drod." And the Webfoot music composer's profile is here, but he only posted once back in 2004.

My stuff:

01-27-2019 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ezequielb

File: LEV9-AWE.MID (52.3 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
NoahT wrote:
"Glad You Came" is actually supposed to correspond to "lev5", since the first track "Whistler" is supposed to correspond to the title screen track "drod." And the Webfoot music composer's profile is here, but he only posted once back in 2004.

The thing is that "gladyoucame" was also in Webfoot DROD, but under the name of "LEV6". It seeems that the developer really liked it and decided to re-use it in later versions, but in a different room style.

Too bad that the composer isn't around, I had a 10.000 dollars check for him. Oh, and I'm attatching another track. It's... just listen to it.
01-27-2019 at 05:09 PM
NoahT
"Glad You Came" and "lev6" are two different tracks. "Lev6" is associated with the Lava style in Webfoot DROD.

My stuff:

01-27-2019 at 07:42 PM
ErikH2000
ezequielb wrote:
The thing is that "gladyoucame" was also in Webfoot DROD, but under the name of "LEV6".
No, Webfoot DROD had music entirely from Lars Kristian Aasbrenn. I wrote Glad You Came, so I know it wasn't in Webfoot DROD. Are you thinking of DROD: Architects' Edition?

-Erik

01-27-2019 at 08:57 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I think Erik would appreciate your ten thousand dollar check. Is it still available?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-28-2019 at 04:38 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Erik makes enough money renting out space in his basement.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-28-2019 at 04:48 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
disoriented wrote:
Erik makes enough money renting out space in his basement.
I...am not sure how to respond to that. Erik, is this true?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-28-2019 at 05:15 AM
ezequielb

File: LEV6-AWE.MID (25.4 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
ErikH2000 wrote:
ezequielb wrote:
The thing is that "gladyoucame" was also in Webfoot DROD, but under the name of "LEV6".
No, Webfoot DROD had music entirely from Lars Kristian Aasbrenn. I wrote Glad You Came, so I know it wasn't in Webfoot DROD. Are you thinking of DROD: Architects' Edition?

-Erik

Whoops. I completely mixed up the names. This is the track I was talking about (attached); I had renamed it as Gladyoucame in my first attempt to make AE play it. (And this is the track that I think would have calmed my nerves).

mrimer wrote:
I think Erik would appreciate your ten thousand dollar check. Is it still available?

Ummm... it was destined to the composer of the music. I always pay close attention to sountracks in games, because I'm a musician. But well.. I gues the designer of the game itself could find some use for ten thousand dollars.
01-28-2019 at 05:12 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Is this the right place to say that the AE music has a special place in my heart? I mean, the newer music is great, but there's just something about the AE music that I love.
02-09-2019 at 02:54 PM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: Music (+2)  
Someone Else wrote:
Is this the right place to say that the AE music has a special place in my heart? I mean, the newer music is great, but there's just something about the AE music that I love.
Could be nostalgia. Or it could be the indisputable fact that there is something very charming with tracker-based music (Erik and I've used the same tracker called SoundClub). The sample library that came with the program has some unique sounds in it and you could really play with them to make interesting and creative music.
02-09-2019 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I've been playing through old holds using the AE tileset mod, and I haven't gotten sick of it yet. I'm really enjoying some of the tracks and think I'll miss them when I get into JtRH era stuff.

02-09-2019 at 03:41 PM
ErikH2000
The Architest wrote:
Erik and I've used the same tracker called SoundClub). The sample library that came with the program has some unique sounds in it and you could really play with them to make interesting and creative music.
Yeah, Sound Club really was great. The horizontal layout was ahead of its day. It seemed like it could sort of barely do anything I wanted and not much more, which is a sign of intelligent product design. As you say, the samples included with SC were quite good.

GarageBand is the modern day spiritual predecessor.

-Erik

02-14-2019 at 03:42 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Music
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com