Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (I think I have freeed everyone, but a bug is buggering me)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ZioGianni
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (0)  
I have finished Golem encapment before other dungeons, yet chief is telling me that I should investigate Golem encapment.

Of course as I said I have finished it, so restoring the final room to unfinished and watching the final sequence again does the trick, but when I go out again all previous finished levels are now back to their unfinished state, and if I restore them back Golem encapment goes as well.

Is there a way to restore all levels without having to replay some of them again?
This is more frustrating than it should be.

[Last edited by ZioGianni at 11-25-2018 03:56 PM]
11-25-2018 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (+1)  
Did you trigger the cutscene in the golem encampment? After finishing it there is a room with blue doors where something happens. You need to see that cutscene to report your success to Greybeard.

If that isn't the issue, I don't know what it would be offhand.

11-25-2018 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ZioGianni
icon Re: Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (+1)  
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Did you trigger the cutscene in the golem encampment? After finishing it there is a room with blue doors where something happens. You need to see that cutscene to report your success to Greybeard.

If that isn't the issue, I don't know what it would be offhand.

Yeah, I triggered the cutscene the first time around, so when I go back the final room is empty as well as all other rooms, so I have to restore it to room start and watch the cutscene again, but doing so I go back in time and I have to free again previously freed people, so I am stuck in a sort of timetravel loophole, e.g. other levels.

btw, your videos - I assume it's you since you have the same nickname - on Youtube are great! I admit I have watched them sometimes when stuck.

[Last edited by ZioGianni at 11-25-2018 04:32 PM]
11-25-2018 at 04:32 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (0)  
I think you may be confused about what Restore does.

Restore is *loading a save file*. That means anything you did after the point you loaded to is undone.

There's an option in the restore menu called "Furthest Save" or something along those lines. Select that and then WALK from wherever it takes you to the golem level and watch the final cutscene. Then go back to Greybeard.
11-25-2018 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ZioGianni
icon Re: Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
I think you may be confused about what Restore does.

Restore is *loading a save file*. That means anything you did after the point you loaded to is undone.

There's an option in the restore menu called "Furthest Save" or something along those lines. Select that and then WALK from wherever it takes you to the golem level and watch the final cutscene. Then go back to Greybeard.

The problem is that if I restore to "Furthest save", the final cutscene with the golem delivering his message has already taken place - the room is empty -, so the only way to trigger it again is restarting the room and that solves the problem, but doing so I travel back in time and my progress in other areas is gone, so now I have to clear those again, and since some rooms took me some time and effort after many attempts - e.g. Daskeros tower 1N1E-, it's a little frustrating.

[Last edited by ZioGianni at 11-25-2018 07:33 PM]
11-25-2018 at 07:17 PM
mauvebutterfly
That's strange. It shouldn't matter what order you do all the dungeons in. In fact you can do all of them without even talking to Greybeard and then return all the quests to him at once.

At this point I think your best bet is to just pick a save file and complete everything from there.

Just to be sure, you have completed every required dungeon, right? Including the Grotto Hideout?

I personally try to avoid using restore as much as possible. I always walk to avoid having to repay rooms. The only time I use restore is once I've finished a hold and am either hunting down missing secrets or trying to optimise scores or complete challenges.

11-25-2018 at 11:42 PM
ZioGianni
mauvebutterfly wrote:
That's strange. It shouldn't matter what order you do all the dungeons in. In fact you can do all of them without even talking to Greybeard and then return all the quests to him at once.

At this point I think your best bet is to just pick a save file and complete everything from there.

Just to be sure, you have completed every required dungeon, right? Including the Grotto Hideout?

I personally try to avoid using restore as much as possible. I always walk to avoid having to repay rooms. The only time I use restore is once I've finished a hold and am either hunting down missing secrets or trying to optimise scores or complete challenges.

Yeah, I completed "Grotto hideout", "Inauro canyon", "Daskeros tower", "Tuenam armory", "Golem encampment", all of them, still when I thought I had freed everyone Greybeard told me that I had to investigate "Golem encampment".

At first I scratched my head as there was nothing left to do in the dungeon- well, actually watching your video I found out that I missed the secret room but every room was blue on the map -, until I tried to trigger the final cutscene again, and this time around it worked fine.

The only think now is I have to clear again 4-5 rooms in Inauro canyon, 5-6 rooms of Daskeros tower, and the final room of Tuenam armory - they are way easier the second time around, still it's a little of a chore.

As for the restore feature, I use it too only to complete challenge roooms, the least I use it the better as I am wary of it, and rightly so may I add.

11-26-2018 at 01:01 AM
mauvebutterfly
I'm glad that the videos have been somewhat helpful. I'm also glad that things seem to be working better.

Replaying the rooms can be kind of annoying, although some people do actively compete on the leaderboards for high scores by completing the rooms in as few moves as possible (requires an active CaravelNet membership).

Restore worked fine with the original DROD because that game (King Dugan's Dungeon) was a single linear hold with no backtracking. In the future if you do want to use restore it's standard practice to find a checkpoint somewhere that you will remember and use that as you latest save. Make sure to activate that checkpoint before using restore, and then immediately after doing whatever you wanted to restore for restore again to that checkpoint.

This way you shouldn't lose any progress from restoring. It would be good if this was explained somewhere, but I don't think the game even mentions restore at any point.

During Gunthro and the Epic Blunder's postgame you will want to avoid using restore. It is NOT a fast-travel system, and trying to save yourself a bunch of walking will unfortunately prevent the postgame stuff from working properly.

11-26-2018 at 03:01 AM
ZioGianni
Argh, I have to do again Grotto hideout, some levels took me a lot of time, I hope this is the last one...
11-26-2018 at 03:36 PM
ZioGianni
icon Re: Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (+3)  
Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by ZioGianni at 11-26-2018 05:24 PM]
11-26-2018 at 05:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Gunthro and the epic blunder, problem preventing me to attack Englos keep (I think I have freeed everyone, but a bug is buggering me)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com