Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2018 Year of RPG (Deadline: 11th October)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon 2018 Year of RPG (+5)  
DROD RPG occasionally sees a resurgence of interest, and now is one of those times. Not one to shy away from capitalizing on this as much as possible, I hereby declare 2018 a Year of RPG, and so here's another contest!

If you were thinking of making something for RPG, but needed a kick in the pants to do it, then here is the perfect opportunity! Why not take a shot? Making stuff for RPG is easy, cool and fun!

Here are the rules!

* Make anything at all in DROD RPG! It can be traditional, but doesn't have to be!

* Your submission must not contain more than 15 rooms! While RPG rooms are less than half the size of regular DROD rooms, this is actually quite a large amount of rooms to work with. Remember, it doesn't actually have to contain 15 rooms, it can also contain less.

* At the end of the contest, I plan to release and then submit a compilation hold, so to make things easier, your submissions must comply with the usual HA guidelines, this includes:
** Your entry must have at least one scorepoint.
** No scorepoint must have a theoretically infinite score possible due to a resource-generating scripting error.
** Note that custom monsters etc. are fine but any custom sounds or images you include could cause issues, so if you absolutely must include them please ensure you are able to prove that either you made them or have permission at the time of submission, because I'm not going to go to the effort and will sooner just disqualify your entry.

* You may submit as many entries as you like, but can only win one prize.

* All of your entries must be submitted to the accompanying submissions thread and not posted publicly. HOWEVER, in a break from the contest norm, in this contest entires will NOT be anonymised, so you are free to organise your own private testing with others if you wish. But any entry that is posted publicly before the voting compilation is released will be disqualified.

Submissions close in negative 288 weeks. (October 11th). Please use the separate thread for your submissions. After submissions are closed there will be a voting thread that will go on until the end of October.

PRIZES

FIRST PLACE: 100 points and a prize from The Prize Pile!
SECOND PLACE: 50 points!
THIRD PLACE: 25 points!

You cannot win multiple prizes. If you place in the top 3 more than once we push the other prizes down the list so each prize is won by someone unique.

Also, if this is your first contest, you also get an additional 10 points just for participating.

If you have any questions about building things in RPG, just ask. I know a whole bunch about the peculiarities of RPG and its scripting and am happy to help.
09-13-2018 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG (0)  
A question for you: How does access to and from contest entries work in RPG? In a regular DROD contest we would be encouraged to have exit stairs available so that people can leave an entry part-way. Due to the way stats are transferred in RPG, I assume that this won't really work here.

Am I correct in assuming that there will be no exits from the individual entries beyond their "end hold" stairs? If we are unable or unwilling to complete an entry, we should just restore to the hub?

09-17-2018 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG (0)  
Your entry should have ending stairs or script, but not stairs to abandon the entry to return later. The hub will block re-entry to the same level on the same save file anyway.

The hub's exit to end the hold will be accessible at all times. Players that wish to abandon an entry and play another can do so by starting a new game, there will be no reason to complete multiple entries on the same save file, although you can if you want to.
09-17-2018 at 12:04 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG (+1)  
A reminder that 1 Week remains!
10-03-2018 at 11:14 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG (+2)  
Full disclosure: I have decided to enter my own contest. Wouldn't want to not be able to join in on the fun! As the entries in this contest are not anonymous, you'll know which one is mine anyway.

To prevent myself from being accused of unfair advantage or whatever, I have decided to ban myself from winning any prizes, if my entry ends up in the top 3, the prizes will skip over me and be awarded to the next eligible person.
10-07-2018 at 09:26 PM
kieranmillar
Less than 24 hours remain!
10-10-2018 at 02:24 PM
kieranmillar
Submissions are now closed.

Voting thread and compilation will be up in a few hours.
10-11-2018 at 01:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2018 Year of RPG (Deadline: 11th October)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com