Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Simon's Dungeon (Assorted Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (36 votes)
σ 1.54
Author Name:Henri
Submitted By:Doom
Hold Name:Simon\'s Dungeon
Theme:Assorted Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:124
Number of Monsters:1907
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:13 (+13 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Simons Dungeon 15.hold (56.7 KB)
Downloaded 3376 times.
License: Other
icon Simon's Dungeon  
Simon's Dungeon should be finished now. Latest version features a few fixes to bugs found at Architecture board and some minor improvements.

Thanks to KevG, Tim and Stefan for testing it.
11-25-2004 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Simon's Dungeon (+1)  
This was a really good dungeon. There are a couple of rooms I didn't like (L4 1E), but most of the rest of the rooms are fantastic. I especially like some of the roach queen manipulation puzzles. I thought I was good with roach queens, but I had (have?) a lot to learn.

12-14-2004 at 05:30 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yes, this hold is fantastic!

I'd list my favorite rooms, but there are too many excellent rooms to list. The rooms that are not outstanding are still very good. Yes, in a dungeon this size you are bound to find a couple that don't happen to be your type.

This hold has slightly above average difficulty puzzles throughout that will keep you busy for, well, a loooong time :fun
07-27-2005 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ohh... This is a really nice hold. It makes the very best out of each game element. Something clever. Some trick youŽll have to figure out.

Good work :thumbsup
08-20-2005 at 11:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just finished this hold, although apparently I left two unrequired rooms unexplored. Still -- excellent hold. Very interesting ideas, well-executed and some devilishly difficult puzzles.

I give it an 8 with 7.5 brains of difficulty.

07-05-2006 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Great hold! I don't quite get the ending though, is it supposed to be an allusion to JTRH?

9 rating and 7.5 brains.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 02-20-2007 12:19 AM : It deserves a 9, not an 8.]
02-20-2007 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Simon's Dungeon (0)  
Ezlo wrote:
Great hold! I don't quite get the ending though, is it supposed to be an allusion to JTRH?

9 rating and 7.5 brains.

Check what other holds Doom has done, and you'll understand. There is a very nice hold named Fortress of Eternety.
02-20-2007 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I finally finished this hold. This is still a little bit more difficult than my experience can manage without help, but the rooms for the most part were awesome although in particular Level 5 3N2E was sort of tedious and annoying. However I cant emphasize how much fun I had beating this hold, even after playing many JTRH and TCB version holds. Thanks a lot!
09-25-2007 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Yeah, this is one of my favourite holds ever, and it's one of the first I ever cleared. I remember how proud I was when I mastered Simon's Dungeon. :)

09-26-2007 at 04:05 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I've just started this one properly. I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. The difficulty is... just right. It's not the mindbreaking intensity of a larrymurk hold, but nor is it trivial.

Put it this way - I've had to hack away and be puzzled by quite a few rooms on the first level, but not once have I had to consult the Hints and Solutions board - the rooms are within the level of puzzleability. Not so hard that you tear your hair out, but hard enough to be an interesting challenge :)

I'm also pleased that Doom/Henri has done more holds... I suspect I might be trying them out after this.

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-27-2007 04:07 PM]
09-27-2007 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
calamarain wrote:
I've just started this one properly. I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. The difficulty is... just right. It's not the mindbreaking intensity of a larrymurk hold, but nor is it trivial.

Put it this way - I've had to hack away and be puzzled by quite a few rooms on the first level, but not once have I had to consult the Hints and Solutions board - the rooms are within the level of puzzleability. Not so hard that you tear your hair out, but hard enough to be an interesting challenge :)

I'm also pleased that Doom/Henri has done more holds... I suspect I might be trying them out after this.

Just so you know, though, Simon's Dungeon is certainly one of Doom's easier holds. He does hold the distinction of being the creator of what I consider to be the hardest hold, bar none, that I have ever played. Beethro's Teacher. There are other hard holds out there, but no other hold beat me down so thoroughly that I was convinced of my own lack of self-worth like BT. Not even Bavato's Dungeon, which is a brutal, brutal hold.

That said, Henri is a brilliant architect and I can't wait to see what his next design is.

Josh

09-27-2007 at 04:36 PM
calamarain
jbluestein wrote:
Just so you know, though, Simon's Dungeon is certainly one of Doom's easier holds. He does hold the distinction of being the creator of what I consider to be the hardest hold, bar none, that I have ever played. Beethro's Teacher.
Uh-oh... I may be in a spot of trouble then.

I confess that Beethro's Teacher hasn't really enthralled me. It's... too hard. I've not solved a single room on the first level without having to resort to Hints/Solutions. It's a genius hold no doubt, but too hard to really capture my interest.

Not even Bavato's Dungeon, which is a brutal, brutal hold.

That said, Henri is a brilliant architect and I can't wait to see what his next design is.

Josh
Mmmmm. He's good, without a doubt. I only hope to be able to reach his standard eventually. I'm good, but I'm nowhere near the level of those who did TCB and the Smitemasters Selections.

Practice practice practice.

09-27-2007 at 04:48 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
I still remember the times before I joined this forum. After finishing about half of level three, I nearly gave up DROD altogether, since I somehow thought this was one of the easier holds out there. And nope, haven't gotten farther now, either :) .
09-27-2007 at 10:33 PM
calamarain
Right, am now up to 2/3 of the way through Level 3 and I'm really really liking this hold. I got my first 1st Place high score ever in it.

What endears it to me so much is the difficulty curve. It's *just right*

I have not needed to use a hint from the Hints and Solutions board once. I have posted on it asking for help, yes... but as always happens, I solved it immediately after :) Posting for help seems to do that.

But I am thoroughly impressed with this hold.

10-05-2007 at 06:18 PM
calamarain
And... I'm finished.

Absolutely superb. If they'd been around back then, this dungeon would definitely have been a Smitemaster's Selection, it's one of the best Architect's Edition dungeons I've ever seen. Good difficulty curve, fascinating puzzles and well decorated. Damned good job.

If anyone's looking for a nice big dungeon to play, this is the one.

11-13-2007 at 07:54 AM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
fiuuu....long work, good hold.
Is old, with AE, but great.
I give it 6 fun and 8.5 brains :) :thumbsup

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-14-2007 at 08:20 PM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
I'm currently playing the first level of this hold and I'm sure I've already seen rooms 2W and 2E of the first level in some other hold (revisited versions), but unfortunately can't remember which. Could someone help me please?
07-14-2013 at 01:56 PM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Simon's Dungeon (+2)  
I mastered this one some months ago but hadn't still commented it.

This is probably the best AE hold I've played until now (even if I'm really far from being a hold-completionist), levels are huge but never repetitive and you often have to struggle to understand what's to be done.

Among my favourite rooms: L2 1N2E, L3 3S, L5 2N3E, just to mention three, but there are many more interesting rooms and ideas round there (the earthquake level was a great ending to this hold for example).

Also I think this one is quite harder than Fortress of Eternity, I don't know why FoE has higher difficulty rating, maybe because it was released before and the standard holds around were easier, with few exceptions here and there.

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 12-27-2013 03:34 PM]
12-27-2013 at 03:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Simon's Dungeon (Assorted Puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com