Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Sequel Contest (August Contest: Make the sequel you always dreamed of!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged
icon The Sequel Contest (+1)  
The Sequel Contest

Sometimes just once isn't enough. You play a good hold and you think to yourself, "Gee, I really wish I could play another one like it." You stumble on an ancient hold with a story that ends on a cliffhanger, only to find that the original author never came back to follow up on it. What are we to do, in such a situation? Well, we could always just make the sequels ourselves...

Basics:
Pick either a hold or a "standalone" level or set of levels (e.g., an entry from an earlier contest), and make a sequel. It's entirely up to you what "being a sequel" means, but keep in mind that anyone familiar with the original will be judging your entry just slightly based on "how good of a sequel" they think it is. The important thing to note is that the original work need not be your own; it can be anything in the whole DROD library!
Just in case someone doesn't get it, be sure to include in either the intro text or an easy-to-find scroll just what your entry is a sequel to, both the title and author (and if it's in some sort of compilation, which one). It can be behind a blue door if you want, as long as someone who conquers the level(s) is likely to run into it.

Limitations:
When I say "the DROD library", I'm referring primarily to fully completed, promoted holds that are in the Holds board. Private beta board content is off limits. Architecture is a bit fuzzier: It doesn't make any sense to make a sequel to something still in progress, but many holds in there are essentially complete (or as complete as they're ever going to get), and contest compilations sometimes get stuck unpromoted for a while. So: If you want to make a sequel to something in Architecture, it must be either a contest entry, or abandoned for over a year. Also, if the architect is still active on the forum, just send them a PM to ask for permission.
For legal reasons, do not use any content or resources copied from another hold (such as the "original" you are sequeling) unless it is in the public domain. DROD rooms are considered to be under the copyright of their architect. However, custom elements and their sprites can be used if the original architect has given permission to do so. This information is often in the opening post of the Holds topic; if in any doubt, again, drop them a PM.
Your sequel may have up to 3 levels and up to 15 proper puzzle rooms. Apart from that, the only constraint is to try and make the best sequel you can, however it is you choose to interpret that.

Voting:
After the submissions are in, I'll get an anonymized compilation together and then a voting topic as soon as I can. Then, as usual, please vote 10 for your own entry. If you are familiar with the "original" that the sequel is based on, weight your voting slightly toward "how good of a sequel" you think it is, but voting should generally be mostly based on how good the architecture is.

Deadlines:
Submissions are available until Local Time:08-28-2018 at 06:00 AM, which is negative 291 weeks, 2 days from now.
After that, the time to vote will be 2 weeks from after the poll goes up, which will also be indicated more precisely at that time. (I'll try to account for the bizarre "poll timer bug" this time, too X_x)

Prizes:
This is an official contest, so the prizes are the usual:

First place: 100 rank points and your pick from the Prize Pile
Second place: 50 rank points
Third place: 25 rank points
First-time entry: 10 rank points

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-25-2018 10:04 PM]
07-29-2018 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Sequel Contest (0)  
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what constitutes a "proper puzzle room"? Would a trivial room containing a single roach count as one of the 15 rooms? You just mean that we can have empty rooms in-between puzzle rooms to space things out if we want to, right?

07-30-2018 at 11:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Right, or for decoration or aesthetic purposes, or organization purposes, or cutscenes, etc. I would say just use common sense in your counting. Like, if the room is used entirely for a cutscene it still doesn't count as a puzzle room even if a "real" roach is stabbed during said cutscene. This isn't the first time I've used this terminology to describe how many rooms are allowed.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-30-2018 03:58 PM]
07-30-2018 at 03:45 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
My mood's a mess and I have jury duty starting Monday. I might have to sit this one out. :/

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

08-05-2018 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Aww, sorry to hear that.

08-05-2018 at 03:02 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Wow, this is a challenge. Maybe I should just focus on a sequel to the training hold, lol

I will give it some thought but not sure if I could do something in 2 weeks.

08-06-2018 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Important Notice:
After some careful consideration, and hearing from at least a few people that they really would like more time, I've added one week to the architecting time for the contest, bringing the total time to 4 weeks instead of 3. So the new deadline (also reflected in the first post now) is Local Time:08-27-2018 at 06:00 AM, which is negative 291 weeks, 3 days from now.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-10-2018 02:19 AM]
08-10-2018 at 02:19 AM
Xindaris
Alright, we are now past the "original deadline" for this contest. Just under a week left. Hope I see some entries from everyone!

08-20-2018 at 08:12 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: The Sequel Contest (+1)  
ONE DAY MORE
ONE MORE DAY

(added to deadline. Since Monday is a holiday in England and there was a request and Nuntar's okay with it.)

08-25-2018 at 10:04 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
I wonder if someone will submit a Blockerture Science Laboratories II: Now with Girkle Gun Goodness

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-29-2018 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Xindaris, do you have a status update for the submission to HA?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-09-2019 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Sequel Contest (August Contest: Make the sequel you always dreamed of!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com