Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Sleepy morning RPG? (Looking for a specific recommendation.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Sleepy morning RPG? (+1)  
I'd like to find a new computer RPG to play, but HOLD ON... not just any RPG. This is for when I wake up in the morning and can't think straight. I like to gradually degroggify myself playing some not-too-hard game. For about a year it has been an ancient demo of Magic the Gathering. But now I'm getting bored of that.

Basic criteria:
- Runs on Windows without using an emulator, i.e. not Chrono Trigger or the old Square classic games.
- Doesn't require reflexes, i.e. not Dink Smallwood or Legend of Zelda-type games.
- Doesn't require hard thinking, i.e. not Tower of the Sorceror.
- Isn't Kingdom of Loathing, i.e. not Kingdom of Loathing. (I got bored of KoL--sorry!)

Recommendations?

-Erik

11-25-2004 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Sleepy morning RPG? (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Recommendations?
Hmmm...How about Tranquility. Good for those groggy mindstates. It's not an RPG, but fits all those criteria.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-25-2004 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Morrowind, I'd suggest, however probably you'd want something a bit more tranquil. Most of the RPGs I play that would be appropriate are console titles (I'm not normally a fan of the 'open-ended' RPGs, as I find that there's never an open end that suits how I'd prefer to solve the problem, something I miss from tabletop RPGs.)

There are a crop of home-made RPGs which would suit the criteria you set out, but unfortunately with these you get what you pay for, and a lot of them seem to be people trying to make their own version of their favourite console RPG hits without the tremendous amount of thought and number-crunching in order to give it the same feel.

I personally use Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which is reasonably difficult, but not too taxing (save the boss fights, which I always ensure I play at home) and has the added bonus that the smallest amount of time in which you can do something and feel like you've made real progress happens to pretty much coincide with the length of time my bus ride takes. (The layout of the game is based around missions - you pick a mission, and you're dropped into a battle, which usually take around 20 minutes or so to resolve for a battle matched to my abilities. Bookend that by selecting a battle and dealing with equipping and selecting new abilities, and that's around 25 minutes, which is my bus ride.)

FFTA has the unfortunate drawback of being a Game Boy Advance game, however.

Tranquility might be good, although I found the game rather unsatisfying from the little I played of it - it didn't ever seem to be that difficult, unless the level design was cheap.

Matt, waffle

11-26-2004 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
There are plenty of MMORPGs downloadable from things like www.MMORPG.com adn things, but some are incredibly expensive and some are incredibly crappy, but free. It just takes searching around.

One I'm playing on sometimes is www.lordsoflegend.com - it's very simple but can get a bit boring, but you only ever really do a few things, so its perfect for sleepy people.

Matt, did Erik draw that avatar for you? If so, good for you.
11-26-2004 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Sleepy morning RPG? (0)  
I think I want a solo game (no MMORPG). And I like the classic topdown view best.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Diablo 2! Or, if you want a really good one, there's this game called DROD that I sometimes play on, which is really good. you could try that.
11-26-2004 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
wackhead_uk wrote:
Matt, did Erik draw that avatar for you? If so, good for you.

Yep, we've got this thing going where the webmaster has their own little caricature done by Erik. I really like mine.

Through an unparalleled act of kindness, I managed to get a full account for Tranquility. The paid-up game is nothing like the free demo - in the paid-up game, they will change the rules on you as you progress, and part of the game is working out how the rules have changed. That, and it scores you.

Matt, who will keep an eye out for good top-down RPGs

11-27-2004 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Well, Progress Quest fits your criteria. :P

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 09:38 AM]
11-27-2004 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Whee! Progress Quest, the greatest RPG known to couch-potato kind.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
11-27-2004 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Try Decker. It's a cyberpunk RPG which is really easy and fun to play and you hardly even need a brain :)

11-29-2004 at 07:54 AM
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
'Easy' is in the eye of the beholder, admittedly. If you like Decker, though, I'd recommend Angband or ToMEband - both Tolkienian roguelikes. Not really good for playing first thing in the morning, though...

11-29-2004 at 10:56 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I recommend the angband borg - nothing like sitting in the morning in front of the computer, and watch it play games for you.

11-29-2004 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Avernum is a very good shareware RPG, in the style of Ultima IV and V (but larger scope). You get a pretty good amount of space to work with in the trial version, and when you unlock it, it's huge. There are two sequels too, and Spiderweb Software has a few other "old-school" RPGs that I haven't tried, like Geneforge.

The only other downloadable one can think of right now is Laxius Power, a Final Fantasy style RPG. I played a bit of the first one, and the translation (French, not Japanese) got to me, but it seems to have a very loyal following.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2004 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Progress Quest...

>>sigh<< I guess I'm oblidged not to give away the secret. Stupid game. In the early morning it just makes me grumpy.

Trying Decker now...

-Erik

12-01-2004 at 05:47 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Sorry about that, but, hey, at least now you know. And there are people who enjoy it. I mean, there are level 80+ characters.
12-01-2004 at 05:55 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Do they have 80+ level characters cause they enjoy it, or do they enjoy it because they have 80+ level characters?

12-01-2004 at 06:01 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
If you go looking at the Progress Quest high scores for the realm of Oobag, they're for sale.

It's not an RPG, but one of my favourite little games is called NetWalk. The shareware version and the registered version are the same except for an advertisement it pops up asking you to register it, so you actually get the full game for free.

12-01-2004 at 08:11 PM
ErikH2000
I'm digging on Avernum. Will play that one for a while, I think.

-Erik

12-01-2004 at 08:17 PM
Oneiromancer
HA! I WIN! IN YOUR FACE! IN YOUR FACE!

...ahem. Yeah, I bought the full version of Avernum, and got maybe 50% through before I got interested in another game and when I tried to come back I had totally forgotten how to play. I started over again, but didn't get that far. Still, I think I got my money's worth for the amount of time I put into it to even get halfway through.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-01-2004 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Oh, and here's a nice hint/walkthrough site for Avernum. You can see from that map that it's a huge game...the shareware part is I think 10 squares out of around 50 (including some areas that can't be represented on that map, which is 42 squares large).

Game on,

12-01-2004 at 08:28 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I have liked EyAngband. Not the greatest graphics, but it is an ok game.
http://eyangband.sourceforge.net/

12-01-2004 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Hmm, if you really consider MTG demo an RPG game, you may like this:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=5000

It's Sacrifice
Now abandonware, full version to download, but HOTU is respectable site and they take away games if developer/publisher tells them so.

Why I reccommend it ?
- it's not too hard, there were few cases in entire game where I actually had to restart level.
- rich gameplay, detailed story
- the action looks deceptively fast, but it's illusionary. Direct damage spells are easy to aim because they (almost)never miss, and so on. No need to dodge, because you basically can't. You can stay out of trouble.
- It isn't very new game, but graphics are amazing. Spells like Demonic Rift, Volcano (sparks and ashes falling down all over the map), Bovine Intervention... or attacks of certain creatures like Hellmouths are absolutely fantastic. And it's not effects, it's hours of work put into them. You don't see such things in modern games even. It has to be seen.
- very high replay values: you choose your levels (gods) and based on that get various creatures/spells. I finished the game 5 times.
- hardware requirements are quite reasonable, my AMD700 and Gforce2 mx makes it very enjoyable
- twited sense of humour. You'll find stuff like Pyrodactyl, Pyroborea, MagnifRyer, Pyroulic Dynamo... It's everywhere - animation, models, voices, story... The game doesn't take itself too seriously. Trolls are cute and trained in diplomacy "Troll ! Kiiiill !!!"

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-09-2004 at 03:16 PM
Muiff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
A game that I recently finished playing, that is a pretty solid RPG (although a bit suffering in graphics) is:

MageCraft

Fulfills all criteria :)

It plays in a bird's eye prespective. You play a mage on a rescue mission. What's special is the "Telling stones", they contain recipies for spells.
(Hint: die a couple of times on the first level to get some ingredients, say 3 or 4)
Review and download:
The underdogs

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:12-10-2004 at 09:24 PM: fixed link]
12-10-2004 at 11:14 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Magecraft...

I'd say the game is pretty frustrating on occasions such as ice giant or that forest with several trolls.
And it really DOES require fast fingers. Certainly not "sleepy" game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-18-2004 at 08:38 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Sleepy morning RPG?, Larry recommends these RPGs.. (0)  
Here's my recommended RPGs:

Avernum was mentioned. Spiderweb also made Geneforge which was quite fun. Fair-sized demo then pay to register.

Laxius Power was briefly mentioned. Its a turn-based RPG. I am one of those who played the whole game. This is a must try because..
-It's FREE
-It's huge above ground and in dungeons
-Many quests

Divine Divinity is more of an action RPG. It is retail, but shouldn't cost much since its been out for a while. This game is superb if you have the time.

Shadowflare is also an interesting action RPG. It maintained my interest by constantly upgrading equiptment and introducing new monsters. First episode is free, next three are pay. Two notes. You get a dog that helps in the beginning but is fairly useless later other than pressing unreachable switches. When you load a game, all monsters respawn so you might find yourself playing a little longer than you want at times to clear an area before saving and exitting the game.

All these games have walkthroughs easily found online. I wouldn't play (or finish) a game without a walkthrough!

12-19-2004 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Divine Divinity: great game, stupid name. (TM) I haven't tried Riftrunner yet, I heard that it had many technical issues and just wasn't as fun. Any verdict on that? If I can find it cheap somewhere I might pick it up.

I have tried Shadowflare in the past and haven't gotten into it, even though I liked Diablo (which seems to be very similar). Perhaps there are new versions since I tried before...

Game on,

12-19-2004 at 02:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Sleepy morning RPG? (Looking for a specific recommendation.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com