Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Contest compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged

File: The Twelve Days of Christmas.hold (110.2 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Twelve Days of Christmas (+3)  
Hey, it's been a while, hasn't it? :P

So, here's the compilation hold with all architects' names or player profile names included. I haven't made any changes to the entries themselves; of course all architects are welcome to suggest fixes they would like to see included. Please refer to the original voting topic for demos and feedback, including some descriptions of unintended solutions.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed! And good luck to anyone still working on entries for the current contest!

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-01-2018 04:01 PM]
04-28-2018 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434

File: Last-Minute Shopping.hold (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (0)  
I made a lot of changes to this from the contest version and I don't even remember the reasoning behind all of them. Most of it is preventing unintended solutions, a small amount of it is making some fiddly parts (like 2E with the invisibility potion) a little easier to execute.

There is one rather major change I feel is worth explaining. For the sake of maintaining something similar to the "briar puzzle" in 1S, I put a separate (much simpler) briar mechanism that affects the final path, but does not require you to do it at the same time. The room might be better without it, but it was a significant mechanism so I want to include some reference to it.

I'll put together a demo pack soon showing both intended solutions for all rooms. It's possible I'll tweak things further as I attempt to put those together, but this is what I've got right now.
04-28-2018 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: Lazy Architects Basement.hold (4.9 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
A small update to my entry I made a while ago. As far as I remember the changes are:

1S 1W - fixed unintended solution (hopefully)
1N - removed scroll which shouldn't have been there

(also, while I don't think 1E is too bad, apparently a lot of people didn't like it, so I can make a more reasonable room in its place if that's what people want... Then again, that'll probably be a new room rather than some sort of fix to original 1E I made for contest, so don't know if I should)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-28-2018 06:19 PM]
04-28-2018 at 06:17 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531

File: The Quest for The List.hold (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Instead of fixing "leaks", I added challenges. It turns out that Doom's "leak" in 1N2E actually involves some really clever wraithwing manipulation so I think it deserves a challenge named for him.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

04-28-2018 at 06:34 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: Last-Minute Shopping.demo (23 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Demo pack for Last-Minute Shopping. I tweaked 1N1W a bit while running through rooms, and will be posting that in a moment. Grabbed demos for most of these a while back, actually, but I didn't break any of those ones.

There also seems to be a scripting bug in 1S1E (the speed potion room); I took the speed potion, activated the seeding beacon, and cleared the room without taking it, but it was gone when I returned. I couldn't figure out the issue by glancing at the code, maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong.

I also can't remember what I intended the "no squad horn" solution to be in 1N1W, so I guess I'm leaving it as-is even though my demo doesn't use the tunnels.
04-28-2018 at 08:42 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: Last-Minute Shopping.hold (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Update to the level. As mentioned in the above post, there's a scripting problem with the speed potion room, which I'd appreciate help with locating.

Edit: Figured it out, it was a turn order issue. The character had to wait a turn after the bomb went off to respond to the seeding beacon, but it was possible to leave on that turn and prevent the script from triggering.

So to prevent this, I just made stepping on the fuse lock you in, and blowing up the bomb lets you out. I've attached the updated version.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 04-28-2018 08:53 PM]
04-28-2018 at 08:44 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407

File: Twelve Days of the Winter Solstice maybefixed.hold (7.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
My "real" entry was all kinds of broken. I had a set of confirmed fixes at one point, but that was a hard drive or two ago and they no longer seem to exist. I'm pretty sure I've recapitulated them here, or at least made a different set of USes.

The hint system remains in, but the author is rarely the best person to give practical hints - if someone has better ideas and cares enough to do so, by all means replace them.

04-29-2018 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920

File: Twelve Evil Roaches.hold (7.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Apparently I fixed some rooms in my entry between now and then: Specifically 1N, 1W.

04-29-2018 at 07:12 AM
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158

File: Ruined warehouse.hold (12.9 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
My entry with some changes, mostly aesthetics and with a comment in every room I made after see the solutions and fixing some US.
04-29-2018 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I seem to remember a few unintended solutions in my entry, but at this point I'm happy to just leave most rooms as they are. I think the only thing I'd change is in 1S1W. In my last minute shuffling around of rooms before submitting I accidentally messed up an important detail. The tile at (23,28) is supposed to be ormites, not trapdoor.

04-30-2018 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78

File: Beethro and The Cold Corridor.hold (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Here's my fixed version. The stairs in the first room should return the player to the hub. I'm not sure it will be possible to have two different stairs lead back to the hub, so you might need to remove the first set.

All of the changes made here are just fixing USes.

[Last edited by IQubic at 05-26-2018 03:22 AM]
05-26-2018 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Contest compilation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com