Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Windows 10 (DROD in Windows 10)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Johno758
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon Windows 10 (0)  
Coming back to DROD after many years away and I am wondering whether DROD will work ok on Windows 10 without patching. I note from reading some posts that there are potentially patching problems. I just want to buy, download and play with full access to demos (for when I get stuck) and other files. I seriously can't be bothered with changing paths etc
02-25-2018 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Windows 10 (0)  
I use Win 10 and it works fine for me.
02-25-2018 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Johno758
That's good to know. So if I download TCB for example it will come pre-patched and avoid any problems?
02-25-2018 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
I have not had any trouble running the games on Windows 10, and you really only need to be able to run the latest version of the engine, as it allows playing the holds from older games. This way, here are even added optional challenges in all the holds that didn't use to have any, if those kinds of things interest you.

So, you can play all the other official DROD holds with the DROD:TSS engine. They should appear in it as downloadable content after you have purchased them and linked the games to your Caravel account. It's been a while since I did this, so if you want more info, just ask, and I'm sure someone will outline the exact steps to do this; and how it works on Steam if you'd prefer to have the games on Steam too.

Important note: This thread contains an announcement that you cannot link games bought in other places to your Caravel account. You should consider buying directly from Caravel. Afterwards, f you so desire, you can request Steam or GOG keys from your Profile - Purchases tab to add the games to your Steam and/or GOG accounts.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41409

Also, if you have any questions about what people would recommend you to purchase next and where to pick up the series after your break, don't hesitate to ask :)
02-26-2018 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
If you are playing on Steam, it's worth noting that all 5 official DROD holds will be using the DROD5 engine.

Also, if you want to play the first 3 holds (you mentioned TCB) you should buy Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, not The Second Sky, since the first 3 games are all included as DLC for GatEB. Unfortunately, this also means that you need to buy GatEB in order to play the first 3 games on Steam.

If you only want to buy TCB you can buy it directly from the Caravel website. It includes the updated TCB in DROD5, although it might default to the old DROD3 hold initially. Likewise, gog.com has the original DROD3 hold if you want to buy any of the holds individually from there without needing to buy GatEB.

02-26-2018 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Johno758
Thank you for the info. I think that I will buy TCB for the time being. I think that will fulfill what I want to do at the moment and I then have other options. I just hope that I don't end up as addicted as I was in the past. I remember times when I was trying to solve puzzles even when I was supposed be doing other stuff or even in the middle of the night.

[Last edited by Johno758 at 03-01-2018 09:10 PM]
03-01-2018 at 09:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Windows 10 (DROD in Windows 10)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com