Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Older Holding Vats issue
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Julian95
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon The Second Sky : Older Holding Vats issue (0)  
So I've already completed the story of the game and some extra stuff, including:

Click here to view the secret text

Now on to the issue:

All in all, I feel like I might have messed up my saves somehow (I had some problems in the past regarding the bugs in the world map). Could someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks.
12-31-2017 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Second Sky : Older Holding Vats issue (+1)  
For secrets like that that require the room to be uncleared to access them, you'll have to restore to a point before you cleared that room. For me, "Room Start" in the restore menu seemed to work. Keep in mind that this will put you back in Chapter 1, so make sure that you use a restore point in your current endgame file so that you know where to restore back to after completing the secret.

Also, not sure if you know this or not, so I'll just say it anyway, but with collectables like the RCS stamps you need to collect all of those in a single save file. If you restore to a room with a stamp, solve it, and then restore back to your endgame file, you won't have the stamp on that file. Fortunately it is possible to backtrack to all collectables in this game, so if you do find your missing stamp go to your endgame file and walk to the room from there.

To avoid confusion with the save files, it is good to have a "default" checkpoint that you always use before restoring. I personally used
since it is quickly accessible from the map. Other people prefer to use

12-31-2017 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Julian95
icon Re: The Second Sky : Older Holding Vats issue (0)  
mauvebutterfly wrote:
For secrets like that that require the room to be uncleared to access them, you'll have to restore to a point before you cleared that room. For me, "Room Start" in the restore menu seemed to work. Keep in mind that this will put you back in Chapter 1, so make sure that you use a restore point in your current endgame file so that you know where to restore back to after completing the secret.

Also, not sure if you know this or not, so I'll just say it anyway, but with collectables like the RCS stamps you need to collect all of those in a single save file. If you restore to a room with a stamp, solve it, and then restore back to your endgame file, you won't have the stamp on that file. Fortunately it is possible to backtrack to all collectables in this game, so if you do find your missing stamp go to your endgame file and walk to the room from there.

To avoid confusion with the save files, it is good to have a "default" checkpoint that you always use before restoring. I personally used
since it is quickly accessible from the map. Other people prefer to use

Thanks a lot for your reply. Indeed, by pressing "room start" I could get to the secret room and complete it (I don't know how I missed this...), but anyway, this way I don't get a restore point where I've finished all the rooms in the level. Does this mean I have to complete the rest of the rooms again after completing the secret room?
Plus, when I complete a secret room and go back to my "furthest save", the total rooms conquered/explored remains the same, but the room does appear as a "secret conquered" when I try check the level in the restore menu. So I'm kinda confused here.

Also thanks for the RCS stamps advise, I always checked my inventory at the station when finding them just in case something like this happened.

[Last edited by Julian95 at 12-31-2017 04:26 PM : adding doubts]
12-31-2017 at 03:58 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Choose a checkpoint later in the game as your "restore" checkpoint. Use this checkpoint before you use the restore function to access a missed secret room.

After you have completed the secret room, stop playing, and restore back to your restore checkpoint.

If your goal is to master the hold, you don't have to complete all secrets in a single save file, so jumping around like this isn't a problem. The secret room WILL NOT be conquered in your endgame save, but that's fine, unless the secret contains a stamp or something. The secret WILL be counted for mastery, which is the only thing that completing the secrets will unlock for you anyway.

Also, I've heard from other people that "Furthest Save" can do some weird things sometimes, so I never use it. I'd recommend manually saving at a checkpoint as listed above instead of using that function, since it might send you to the wrong checkpoint.

12-31-2017 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Julian95
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Choose a checkpoint later in the game as your "restore" checkpoint. Use this checkpoint before you use the restore function to access a missed secret room.

After you have completed the secret room, stop playing, and restore back to your restore checkpoint.

If your goal is to master the hold, you don't have to complete all secrets in a single save file, so jumping around like this isn't a problem. The secret room WILL NOT be conquered in your endgame save, but that's fine, unless the secret contains a stamp or something. The secret WILL be counted for mastery, which is the only thing that completing the secrets will unlock for you anyway.

Also, I've heard from other people that "Furthest Save" can do some weird things sometimes, so I never use it. I'd recommend manually saving at a checkpoint as listed above instead of using that function, since it might send you to the wrong checkpoint.

Indeed my goal is mastery so I'll just keep jumping and completing the secret rooms like you said. But when I find a room with an RCS stamp or an arky challenge then I'll restore to my "checkpoint" (I choose the lost central station) and try to get there from the world map, which I'm guessing should always be possible for these rooms. Is this correct?
And yes I can confirm that "furthest save" hasn't been of much help.
Thanks a lot for all your help! I really appreciate it.

[Last edited by Julian95 at 12-31-2017 11:10 PM]
12-31-2017 at 10:54 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
If you're at the end of the game, yes, you can always access the collectibles.

The only places with secrets you can't reach at the end of the game are:
-the one room in Older Holding Vats that you asked about here
-any rooms in the the sequence of levels going from Upside-Down Mine Entrance to Experiment of Ages
-one secret in TwT

If you have those, you can do everything from the end of the game if you find that easier for keeping track of what you've done. But restoring saves travel time. How you do it is up to you.
12-31-2017 at 11:17 PM
Julian95
Dragon Fogel wrote:
If you're at the end of the game, yes, you can always access the collectibles.

The only places with secrets you can't reach at the end of the game are:
-the one room in Older Holding Vats that you asked about here
-any rooms in the the sequence of levels going from Upside-Down Mine Entrance to Experiment of Ages
-one secret in TwT

If you have those, you can do everything from the end of the game if you find that easier for keeping track of what you've done. But restoring saves travel time. How you do it is up to you.

I understand. Thank you very much!
01-01-2018 at 08:21 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Older Holding Vats issue
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com