Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A fix for a minor demo breaker in KDD (I'm a weird kind of purist.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged

File: Panicing mappers.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A fix for a minor demo breaker in KDD (+1)  
The original version of KDD was designed before the advent of NPCs, and when the hold was given more bells and whistles for it's re-release in the JTRH engine, two NPCs were added to Eighth Level, 4S,3E. Aside from speech, these two just stand there until the player places a mimic, and then run away in a somewhat chaotic way.

The problem with this is that since a mimic can be placed anywhere, it can be placed to intercept their escape and kill them, also providing an additional obstacle for the mimic to bump against. Furthermore, they both start directly adjacent to a tar blob, and block it's growth.

I realize that most demos broken by these factors are ones that were deliberately trying to get broken, but I have a solution anyway.

I've made them a new script, where their cue to flee the scene is either when the player gets within eight squares of the potion (the exact number of turns it takes them to leave the room) or if the threat clock reaches 27 (giving them just enough time to get clear of the tar).

10-16-2017 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon Re: A fix for a minor demo breaker in KDD (+1)  
Before releasing KDD5.0 and the other hold updates, Schik ran a checker on all demos in the hold, and we examined all the failing ones to see what caused them to break and whether it could be fixed.

I've had another look at the KDD5.0 thread in the hidden forum, and nothing was mentioned for 8:4S3E, so I assume this is a purely theoretical issue and there were no actual failing demos. Given that, I don't think we're going to update the hold again to "fix" this.

10-16-2017 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A fix for a minor demo breaker in KDD (I'm a weird kind of purist.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com