Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Four Laws of Mankind
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scattercatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged

File: The Four Laws of Mankind2.hold (2.1 MB)
Downloaded 34 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Four Laws of Mankind (0)  
After getting my first hold "The Tower" completed and submitted, I started working on a new hold that I feel has better puzzles, better atmosphere, and, hopefully, a story. I definitely think that this hold is much better quality both puzzle and aesthetic wise.

Unlike The Tower, I'm not submitting this complete as I want to get feedback and be able to change things now instead of going back through EVERYTHING later.
I really did want to wait until it was complete, but I just had to show off what I have so far!

Another huge new aspect is new elements. There is one new element per level with tutorials included.

The hold number at the end of the download file will go up every time I fix or update something.

Please download and give it a play!

EDIT: Rooms 1W and 2N1W replaced with new rooms in The Temple of Order. Also added checkpoints

NEW MESSAGE AS OF 3/28/2019:
It has been quite some time since I posted about this hold, but I feel this is a good time to get it out there again. I would also like to preface this by saying that the hold is far from finished (as are most here), so expect updates.
Since I'm not completely sure where to put the hold files, updated hold files will still be on the starting post

After playing a lot of user made and officially made holds, I feel I have gotten a taste of what a puzzle should and shouldn't be, at least, a better taste than i had before.

That being said, I have scrapped more than half of the rooms. Many I felt were not fun, trivial, or unrewarding. I have since replaced these with what I personally feel are better. Of course, this is why I'm on this board to begin with. (I have also recorded demos for every single puzzle as of now)

I would also like to point out that I am taking this opportunity to improve my writing skills, so take this apology in advance if it's not your cup of tea. While of course not necessary, if writing is the kind of thing you're into, recommendations and tips on that would be nice too.

(Also, question for the mods: is it okay for me to start a new thread on this hold due to the overhaul or do I have to stick with this one?)

Thanks for your time and consideration!

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 03-30-2019 05:08 AM]
10-13-2017 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576

File: The Four Laws of Mankind.demo (7.4 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
icon Re: The Four Laws of Mankind (+1)  
Demos for Temple of Order, all except 1W solved. Comments:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-13-2017 06:45 PM]
10-13-2017 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
icon Re: The Four Laws of Mankind (0)  
Nuntar wrote:
Demos for Temple of Order, all except 1W solved. Comments:

Thanks for the feedback! I did a rundown with checkpoints before posting and I guess I just forgot The Temple of Order. I also completely agree with you on 1W after replaying it. It is being reworked along with it's counterpart.
10-13-2017 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
It has been quite some time since I posted about this hold, but I feel this is a good time to get it out there again. I would also like to preface this by saying that the hold is far from finished (as are most here), so expect updates.
Since I'm not completely sure where to put the hold files, updated hold files will still be on the starting post

After playing a lot of user made and officially made holds, I feel I have gotten a taste of what a puzzle should and shouldn't be, at least, a better taste than i had before.

That being said, I have scrapped more than half of the rooms. Many I felt were not fun, trivial, or unrewarding. I have since replaced these with what I personally feel are better. Of course, this is why I'm on this board to begin with. (I have also recorded demos for every single puzzle as of now)

I would also like to point out that I am taking this opportunity to improve my writing skills, so take this apology in advance if it's not your cup of tea. While of course not necessary, if writing is the kind of thing you're into, recommendations and tips on that would be nice too.

(Also, question for the mods: is it okay for me to start a new thread on this hold due to the overhaul or do I have to stick with this one?)

Thanks for your time and consideration!
03-29-2019 at 12:01 AM
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
If you feel it would be better served by starting a new thread, I don't see a problem with that.
03-29-2019 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
So, I just finished the last room in The Temple of Life, but I'm not sure if it is easy enough for the hold standard. Could someone test 2S in the temple of life and tell me what you would rate the difficulty? I don't want an unnecessarily hard room in a hold like this. Thanks.
03-30-2019 at 05:10 AM
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: TFLoM Temple of Life 2S Victory.demo (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
Hi, played 2S

First, I'm very much impressed with the beautiful artistic layout. What a joy !

2S : i got very stuck at first, until i realized
. It is a very clever room!!
It is difficult, but not too hard ( and difficulty is so relative, like a played it late and maybe was not very bright then) . I would say keep it, very interesting room

[Last edited by KituU at 03-30-2019 07:33 PM]
03-30-2019 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KituU

File: Temple of Chaos.demo (6.9 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
demos for Temple of Chaos

very nice ! liked most of rooms very much. A joy to play
specially 1W , a very clever room, (took me a while too figure it out) .
Also liked very much 1N1E
03-30-2019 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KituU

File: Temple of Life demos.demo (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Temple of Life:
1W : stuck on this room, is there a reason for the pressure plates (from left to right) to activate the yellow doors conter-clockwise ? It is not very intuitive, (do not know if it is actually needed for the puzzle). Not a fan of this room, i suppose it involves the correct sequence of pplates.

Enjoyed the rest of the level, Iron Golems is very interesting !
Demos attached
03-31-2019 at 09:20 PM
KituU

File: Temple of Order demos.demo (11.5 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Temple of Order:
this level is easier than the others, it is okay, (some puzzles can be solved by simply trial and error), did like the other levels more .
Monster landmines : nice !
Both new elements are a great addition

03-31-2019 at 09:33 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Four Laws of Mankind
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com