Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Putting the Pieces Together Contest Voting (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1The Floor is Spikes81.2792042981337
1It All Adds Up81.8090680674666
3Statuary7.81818181818181.799908170293
3Pushing the Envelope7.81818181818182.551939790476
5Just Die Already7.72727272727271.8630819574472
6Half-Built Room7.54545454545451.8272501129311
7The Frozen Abyss7.36363636363641.4937887931959
7Icicle7.36363636363641.6109131951518
9The Cellar6.90909090909091.9284730395997
10Time Gunk6.81818181818182.036850591128
10A Helpful Serpent6.81818181818181.3360853142454
12The Sewer6.63636363636361.7721444263289
13Some Assembly Required6.45454545454551.3047909176734
Just Die Already
Average Vote 7.7272727272727
Standard Deviation 1.8630819574472

It All Adds Up
Average Vote 8
Standard Deviation 1.8090680674666

Pushing the Envelope
Average Vote 7.8181818181818
Standard Deviation 2.551939790476

Icicle
Average Vote 7.3636363636364
Standard Deviation 1.6109131951518

Some Assembly Required
Average Vote 6.4545454545455
Standard Deviation 1.3047909176734

The Cellar
Average Vote 6.9090909090909
Standard Deviation 1.9284730395997

The Frozen Abyss
Average Vote 7.3636363636364
Standard Deviation 1.4937887931959

The Sewer
Average Vote 6.6363636363636
Standard Deviation 1.7721444263289

A Helpful Serpent
Average Vote 6.8181818181818
Standard Deviation 1.3360853142454

Time Gunk
Average Vote 6.8181818181818
Standard Deviation 2.036850591128

Half-Built Room
Average Vote 7.5454545454545
Standard Deviation 1.8272501129311

The Floor is Spikes
Average Vote 8
Standard Deviation 1.2792042981337

Statuary
Average Vote 7.8181818181818
Standard Deviation 1.799908170293
Total Votes 14 100%
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Putting the Pieces Together Contest Voting (0)  
It's finally time to see how people put different ideas together to make rooms! There are 13 entries in this contest, each of which is a single room.

Both the poll order and the placement of entries in the contest hold has been randomized.

Please base your vote both on the overall quality of the room, and on how well it fit its component ideas together. And as usual, vote 10 for your own entry.
08-24-2017 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

File: Putting the Pieces Together Anonymized.hold (14.7 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Putting the Pieces Together Contest Voting (0)  
And here's the compilation. Enjoy!
08-24-2017 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Posting some comments here for later under unhide tags.

As Fogel requested, I tried to vote based on two things: how fun the room was, and how well it adhered to the mechanics it was supposed to use based on the scrolls. I usually don't really penalize much for unintended solutions in contests since there isn't much in the way of beta testing, but it was a bit hard in this case. In some rooms the mechanics that were listed on the scrolls weren't enforced at all and as such didn't feel like an integral part of the room. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to the architect and look for intended solutions when possible, but in some cases a solution that required the use of all listed mechanics wasn't at all evident.

I also tended to give extra points for entries that intertwined the mechanics used in different ways. This is especially the case if I could guess what the central mechanics of the room were before looking at the scroll. One thing I liked is that, with few exceptions, the difficulty level here was not too extreme. For a contest setting like this in which there isn't unlimited time to play though everything it's nice when the architects keep things relatively reasonable, and nothing here felt too crazy.

Just Die Already
I love the name of this one, but unfortunately this room was a bit of a mess. Many of the elements seemed thrown together and had little to do with each other. The main linchpin of getting the roach queen to set off the pressure plate in the southwest after spawning a roach inside the black sister gate was a bit on the fiddly side and would have probably been more fun if it had been slightly more lenient. The execution requirements here were pretty strict for a contest. I wouldn't have minded that as much if the rest of the room had fit together nicely, but the gel baby requirement felt like it was a throwaway, and honestly just added clutter to the room. As did the multiple entrances and other unnecessary bits. That being said, the "Destroy a serpent by creating a dead end" and "Hold a roach queen in place with her own spawn" mechanics were used together really nicely here and overlapped with each other well in the solution.
---------------------------------

It All Adds Up
This room was one of the more enjoyable ones to play. The setup for blocking briar growth is pretty interesting and you're given more than enough resources to work with so it never feels too tight. There isn't a whole lot of interplay between the two listed mechanics. Though you do need to block the briar with a snake to be able to even use the caber, it feels less like they are intertwined and more like a multi-part room that has distinct parts. I also don't really see the point of the very last set of golems that you just kill with a briar flood. But that's a relatively minor quibble for what was otherwise an above average room.

Pushing the Envelope
This one was super cool. It was probably the most difficult of the bunch for me, but the execution was painless so it felt fine for a contest. I really like the creative interpretation of the two mechanics used, and the mechanics even interacted with each other nicely (the aumtlich who's beam is blocked by the guards sword is the same monster held in place by a wraithwing). I think the fact that the two listed mechanics used in this room subverted the player's expectations in the same way also helped to tie them together.
This was a really clever room on the whole, and probably my favorite. Between the writing style, difficulty, and out of the ordinary interpretation of the requirements, it felt really blorxy.

Icicle
This was an okay room. Again, the two mechanics seemed to be connected in a fairly superficial way. It might have felt a bit more interconnected if you had needed to use the puffs to kill the eye or something along those lines. I'm also not the biggest fan of pushing puffs around. I guess it's not too tedious here since you have more than enough puffs for the job, but it still feels a lot more like busy work than difficult manipulation. I did like the evil eye trap though, that was nice widget. The room decorations are also nice.

Some Assembly Required
One of many entries in which the "kill rock giant on hot tiles" mechanic isn't actually enforced in any way. For whatever reason that mechanic seemed to be very difficult to get right in this contest, as most of the entries that used it failed to enforce it. It seems as though that might have been an afterthought though since there are two other mechanics listed on the scroll for this one. Those two mechanics don't actually interact in any way though. The room itself was pretty fun, and I always enjoy rooms in which you need to prevent a soldier from appearing. The execution was also enjoyable, and the difficulty level was nice and forgiving.

EDIT: I noticed only after voting that there might be something much more subtle going on here that I just missed. The contest required architects to use two of the listed mechanics. It looks like to solve this room you either need to "Get an adder to eat rock golem corpses" or "Use hot tiles to turn a rock giant into four live golems" (in which case you can feed a live golem to the adder instead). It may be possible to avoid both of those, I haven't tried. But if it was indeed the architects intent to make the room such that at least one of those mechanics was required then that's super cool and I wish I had noticed this before voting.

The Cellar
The two mechanics in this one didn't really interact at all. The seep killing felt like an afterthought and could easily have been replaced with a conquer token. I wish that the seep had somehow played a larger part of the room, perhaps requiring some manipulation into place in a way that mimicked the queen manipulation. The roach queen manipulation here was pretty standard and it feels as though there are a ton of rooms about this out there. They can be fun but I felt like this was one was pretty middle of the road.

The Frozen Abyss
I enjoyed this room and think that what I assume the intended solution is was a lot of fun. Based on the scrolls it looks like I'm supposed to use the babies to create thin ice patches for the roach to traverse. This was an interesting task and did a great job combining the two mechanics of the room. I feel like the two mechanics mentioned by the scrolls were really intertwined very well here. Which is why it's a bit of a shame that the mechanic of creating thin ice wasn't well enforced. As other have mentioned, you can circumvent the intended solution by just using the bottom exit. That's a fairly easy fix and not really worth mentioning. There's at least one more way of doing this room that gets around the thin ice mechanic that's a bit harder to fix though. You can lure one of the babies down to set off the pressure plate at (28,18) and just use a puff to kill the roach without making any thin ice at all. Still, I ended up ranking this one rather well due to the fact that what seems to be the intended solution did a good job meshing the two mechanics together and the fact that it was pretty fun to play.

The Sewer
This is another entry that pretty much failed to enforce the "use hot tiles to turn rock giant into four rock golems" mechanic. Sure it's possible to do that, but it's in no way necessary or even really all that tempting to try. It seems like there was something missing here like another set of toggle yellow doors that would make keeping the golems alive a requirement, but I can't see what. The two mechanics listed on the scroll didn't really interact at all either. On the plus side, I thought the room was pretty fun to play. The rock golem manipulation was involved enough to be interesting but not super fiddly, so I thought the difficulty level was nicely pitched for a contest.

A Helpful Serpent
Yet another one that didn't enforce the "use hot tiles to turn rock giant into four rock golems" mechanic, but it's slightly more forgivable since I can kind of see how the room tries to point you to that solution. The intended solution appears to be to use a combo of live rock golems and corpses on the right half of the room, and the room does try to strongly hint at this. But it's easy enough to just toggle the plates with the serpent. I can see how there could be some synergy with the second mechanic "Destroy a serpent by creating a dead end" if you had to use the golem corpses to kill the serpent, but again, there are already places in the room that will serve perfectly well for snake killing. The difficulty level was pretty good though, and the room was enjoyable. What I suspect is the intended solution wasn't too difficult to figure out, and the manipulation here isn't too tedious as you have a lot of places to get rock golems hung up on.

Time Gunk
Nice time clone room. This one actually used both the mechanics it said it would and made them very central to the room. The difficulty level was pretty forgiving with things like shallow water to let you wait and time things properly and plenty of room for per-recording your time clone. The two mechanics used didn't overlap that much, but disrupting the timeline did effect when the mother would be tar or gel, so there was some interesting synergy there. All in all, this was one of my favorites. One request: for the contest compilation can we please add checkpoints underneath the time tokens. That's standard practice for good reason, even those of us who use U.U. like to be able to quickly jump back to the previous time split to fix mistakes. I didn't deduct points for that obviously, just mostly making a note of it so that I remember.

Half-Built Room)
This room was interesting. Clearly a lot of thought went into the design and it has some nice touches to it. The fact that the serpent's default path is highlighted for example is really nice, as is the room's symmetry and sister red doors which hints at, I suspect, the intended solution. But it looks like the architect got serious tunnel vision here and was so focused on what they wanted the player to do that they didn't stop to think about what an actual player was likely to do.

Now that I've read the scrolls, I suspect that the intended way to do this is to get the gel babies to make little walls so that the roaches get diverted and kill the snake. I went back and did the room that way after clearing it the easy way, and it does seem to work. Unfortunately, I don't see why anyone would bother to do it that way when you can just use the gel babies to kill the snake directly in fewer turns. I think players tend to look for the simplest way to accomplish their goals in a room, so if you provide them with a lot of tools, make sure to think though all the obvious things you can do with those tools. Hard to do in a contest setting with no beta testing though.

That being said, the idea behind this room is pretty neat and the little details like highlighting the snake path were nice so I voted this one fairly high.

The Floor is Spikes
This was another fun one. Brain path-mapping can be fun to play with, but it can also get super finicky at times. Thankfully this room was very forgiving and open ended so it never wandered into that territory. The setup for this one was pretty fun and the only thing that was maybe a bit much in terms of execution was making sure to time things and create a setup that made sure the snakes path would direct it to the dead end. Even that wasn't terribly, tough it was a bit on the fiddly side. There was definitely some synergy between the two listed mechanics for this one. Even though their connection was indirect, I still think they played nicely together. On the whole the mechanics were used in a way that made a very cohesive room that felt like it had a consistent theme to it.

Statuary
This was an okay room on the whole, but like some other rooms it felt a bit all over the place. The mechanics used did have some interplay, but it felt a bit forced. It definitely felt a bit like two or three different tasks that weren't really interrelated. That being said, the room was pretty straightforward so it was enjoyable to play through at least.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 09-08-2017 02:30 PM]
08-24-2017 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Putting the Pieces Together Contest Voting (+1)  
There's a minor error in the compilation; I accidentally set the completion variable for A Helpful Serpent before checking if the room is clear, so the seeding beacon will turn off if you just visit that entry. I had a quick look and all other entries should work as intended.

Unfortunately, it's inconvenient to make changes in the anonymized hold because it wants to overwrite the old one. Since this only affects the ability to exit the compilation hold and that has no real impact on the actual contest, I'm not fixing it right now. The final hold will use a different setup anyways.
08-24-2017 at 05:27 PM
Insoluble

File: Putting the Pieces Together.demo (24.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
Here's a demo pack in case anyone needs it. The difficulty is much more reasonable than is often the case for contests, so this might not be necessary.

08-26-2017 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
Some comments. Hopefully they are hidden for long enough.

Click here to view the secret text

08-27-2017 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Reminder: Voting ends in about a week!
09-01-2017 at 08:01 AM
Dragon Fogel
A little less than four days left to vote! Get those ratings in soon!

Remember, there's a demo pack available a few posts up if you're having trouble clearing any of the entries.
09-05-2017 at 04:04 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I should mention that, for the final compilation, the compiler or architect might want to change The Frozen Abyss so it's no longer possible to go down the "return to hub" stairs after clearing the room - that way it's impossible to solve the room by killing all monsters but never hitting the important pressure plate at (28, 18) and just going back down the hub stairs.

Right now the way this is scripted doesn't turn off the seeding beacon in the main hub area (meaning it doesn't count as solved), but then you re-enter the entry and can't generate new monsters in the maze area anymore so can't properly solve it.

09-05-2017 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
There's a little over a day left to get votes in. If you haven't rated the entries yet, do so!
09-07-2017 at 03:55 PM
Dragon Fogel
Seven hours and a bit before the poll closes.

This is the absolute last call. If you haven't voted, now's the time.
09-08-2017 at 04:40 PM
Dragon Fogel
Congratulations to our winners!

First place is a tie between Nuntar for The Floor is Spikes and disoriented for It All Adds Up. They both win 100 rank points and a prize from the Prize Pile.
Second place is another tie, between Xindaris for Statuary and blorx1 for Pushing the Envelope. Both of them receive 50 rank points.
Third place would go to Just Die Already, but that's also by disoriented. So instead the prize of 25 rank points is passed on to our fourth-place winner, Chaco, for Half-Built Room.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

Architects of all entries:

09-09-2017 at 12:25 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
In addition, Xindaris has earned an 8-timer prize. blorx1 will be eligible for one with his next contest.

Thanks to Dragon Fogel for running this one, it was great fun and produced a great field of entries!

09-09-2017 at 01:22 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: PtPT It All Adds Up Soln.demo (15.9 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
* It All Adds Up *

Here is the architect's intended solution, with the bonus challenge of not using the axe. The axe was there just to loosen the room requirements.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-09-2017 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Insoluble wrote: Icicle
...It might have felt a bit more interconnected if you had needed to use the puffs to kill the eye
Wait, how'd you manage to do it without the puff killing the eye? O_O That's supposed to be necessary. Or did you mean the southern eye? The central one, there should be no other way.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 09-09-2017 03:22 PM]
09-09-2017 at 03:21 PM
Insoluble
disoriented wrote:
* It All Adds Up *

Here is the architect's intended solution, with the bonus challenge of not using the axe. The axe was there just to loosen the room requirements.
Oh man, that snake formation around the orb is super cool! That's an amazing solution to the room!

Xindaris wrote:
Insoluble wrote: Icicle
...It might have felt a bit more interconnected if you had needed to use the puffs to kill the eye
Wait, how'd you manage to do it without the puff killing the eye? O_O That's supposed to be necessary. Or did you mean the southern eye? The central one, there should be no other way.

Check the demo pack I posted above. You can kill the eye by pushing it into a pit.

09-09-2017 at 03:47 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Ah, well that's not supposed to be possible. Oh well! I'm still happy people liked Statuary, it was the first of the three I made and I'm honestly happiest with it. I feel like the pieces are slightly disconnected, but at the same time everything has the theme of "pushing the decoys around" tied closely to it. And I felt like I invented a new puzzle type almost with the bomb-based centerpiece of it, even though someone has almost certainly done it before.

Congratulations to other winners!

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 09-09-2017 04:56 PM]
09-09-2017 at 04:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Putting the Pieces Together Contest Voting (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com