Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Good Ending?
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
IP: Logged
icon The Second Sky : Good Ending? (0)  
This is appearing on the prologue for TSS's first room, since I'm both lazy, and think this actually would fit for this.

Okay, I am starting to make progress in TSS, but I am EXTREMELY self-conscious about getting the "good ending" of the game, since I know this game has one. The problem is, what pre-requisites are there?

Here's what I know, in spoilers in case some newbie stumbles upon it:
Click here to view the secret text

There's no guide I can find that compiles every requirement, so I'm stuck asking here.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 12-23-2017 09:06 PM]
08-04-2017 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: The Second Sky : Good Ending? (+1)  
Everything you need to get the good ending is available to be found once the "camp" location (the "please take me to the endgame now" location) is available. Some areas you need to go to may not be on your map yet, you may have to take a different exit from some certain areas in order to put them on the map, at least as far as I can recall. Also if I'm not mistaken

You'll know for sure you're on your way to the good ending when

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-04-2017 02:31 PM]
08-04-2017 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: The Second Sky : Good Ending? (0)  
Nothing in TSS is "missable". At some point you'll be able to go back to anything you've overlooked or skipped.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-04-2017 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Well, I do seem to recall a few secret rooms being in levels you only encounter once and must restore to get if you didn't do them the first time. But those rooms aren't involved with the "completion stuff" you have to collect all in the same save, like the stuff for the good ending and the bonus level things.

Here are some links to Things!

08-05-2017 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Now that I'm making some more additional strides, I did think of something else; do I necessarily have to...

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 11-13-2017 01:16 AM]
11-13-2017 at 01:15 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Exactly one secret room is required for the good ending; all others are only progress towards mastery.

That one secret room...

11-13-2017 at 01:21 AM
Camwoodstock
I'm officially at Chapter 8 via the Security Gates, yet I still lack knowledge on exactly how to get the "good" ending... When do I...

11-13-2017 at 03:29 AM
Nuntar
Next chapter.

11-13-2017 at 02:04 PM
Camwoodstock
Okay, I'm getting concerned. I'm partway through TWT, but no full world map yet; not to mention, seemingly no way to ask any hard questions, and the H&S listed levels only lists some few more levels before the end. Am I doing a wrong?

EDIT: Yes I am, just got it. Though, now I wonder...

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 11-16-2017 06:01 PM]
11-16-2017 at 05:06 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Things really start to open up after you finish Teaming with Tendry. After some exposition you get access to the full map and a bunch of "optional" areas.

11-16-2017 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Just to be clear: you don't need to worry too much about qualifying for the good ending right away.

First: you will get a rather obvious prompt before starting the ending sequence. There is a checkpoint near the place this happens, allowing for easy restoring to go back and explore. Even if you don't hit the checkpoint, you can just restore to the start of this level. (The checkpoint is useful for keeping track of your progress on your main save if you go back for the missable secret rooms, though.)

Second: the actual final level has a shortcut to the end behind a Hold Complete wall. So if you beat it once, you don't have to go through it again to see the changed ending.
11-16-2017 at 07:39 PM
Nuntar
As for the question of which optional levels are needed for the good ending:

11-16-2017 at 11:26 PM
Camwoodstock
Question about the RCS stamps: I only seem to have access to 3, and I'm as far as starting Ore Refinery. 2 I can get ASAP (the one dagger level and HerW--the Frosted Wood level just gives a rooted hub keycard which I don't know what it does), and one is in HestW, which I got after clearing HerW (and I don't have that one yet.)

Do I get more RCS stamps just by the levels I unlock by clearing the other optional levels, or am I expected to clear the required levels to unlock optional levels with RCS stamps?

(Also, what does that Rooted Hub keycard do?)

11-23-2017 at 09:13 PM
Nuntar
Some of the RCS stamps are in secret rooms. Unlike the Hard Questions, there's no in-game indicator of where these are, you just have to find them.

The others are rewards for solving the optional levels that are not related to getting the good ending.

As for the Rooted Hub keycard...

11-23-2017 at 11:03 PM
Camwoodstock
Nuntar wrote:
Some of the RCS stamps are in secret rooms. Unlike the Hard Questions, there's no in-game indicator of where these are, you just have to find them.

The others are rewards for solving the optional levels that are not related to getting the good ending.

As for the Rooted Hub keycard...

Oh, dear... I am aware completing the hold gives a percentile, and you can see how many secrets you have in a certain level, but that can only help so much in tracking down the RCS stamps in secret rooms, in a SEA of other secret rooms. A few pointers I might ask:

Also, I tried that, and he didn't accept. Do I need both Rooted Hub keycards?

11-30-2017 at 07:32 PM
Dragon Fogel
There are two doors in Rooted Hub that lead to bonus levels, you need a keycard for each.
11-30-2017 at 07:44 PM
Camwoodstock
One eternity in OR later, and I got easily the best laugh of today; it'll be hard to top that plate. Someone in chat helped with OHV, but for the confused people in the crowd, here's what you gotta do there.

Is there any reason Seeding Grounds has question marks over it, though?

12-22-2017 at 01:16 PM
Nuntar
Camwoodstock wrote: Is there any reason Seeding Grounds has question marks over it, though?
Yes; I answered this in a post above:

Three locations are indicated with question marks. Two of them indicate optional levels, the third indicates a secret room in a previous level.

12-22-2017 at 03:51 PM
Dragon Fogel
Yeah, you need

12-22-2017 at 05:05 PM
Camwoodstock
Nuntar wrote:
Camwoodstock wrote: Is there any reason Seeding Grounds has question marks over it, though?
Yes; I answered this in a post above:

Three locations are indicated with question marks. Two of them indicate optional levels, the third indicates a secret room in a previous level.

Weird... My map has only two areas with question marks. One for that explosives area, and of course the one in seeding grounds. I had one in rooted hub that vanished upon the explosives one being found. This, of course, does make me wonder where a THIRD set of question marks is.

Based on the statement you said, I can rule out the explosives area as being where a Very Hard Question is; implying there's no overlap, it couldn't contain one (though if there is overlap, then it's practically my best shot). Seeding Grounds SEEMS to be the best option, but I've seen just about every secret room, and yet, no banana (not even a metaphorical one, it's mostly puzzles from what I found, though I do see that RCS stamp).

12-22-2017 at 05:13 PM
Camwoodstock
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Yeah, you need

That... kind of concerns me? I get the feeling that no, I'm not screwed since I can just use that one stray truth vessel at OHV, tell him my even harder question, and I'll be fine. But if that's not the case, then I'd be completely boned.

12-22-2017 at 05:14 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
You can change the question as many times as you want. It doesn't matter if you don't give them a hard enough question initially.

12-22-2017 at 05:47 PM
Camwoodstock
mauvebutterfly wrote:
You can change the question as many times as you want. It doesn't matter if you don't give them a hard enough question initially.
Oh, phew!

12-22-2017 at 06:02 PM
Nuntar
Camwoodstock wrote: Weird... My map has only two areas with question marks.
They disappear if you already have the Hard Questions, and since you found "How wide is the Eighth?" you must have already gotten the one from

So, two to go.

Based on the statement you said, I can rule out the explosives area as being where a Very Hard Question is
Not sure what you mean here. In case my comment was too abbreviated, what I meant was: There are three locations indicated with question marks, and these are where the Hard Questions are (one in a secret room, the other two as rewards for solving the levels). So the two you haven't gotten yet are Seeding Grounds and Explosives Storage.

Seeding Grounds SEEMS to be the best option, but I've seen just about every secret room
Note that there's a feature of that level in particular that helps you hunt for secrets ;)

12-22-2017 at 11:16 PM
Camwoodstock
I've gotten the hardest question, and I'm at Chapter 11. Are the bonus levels marked in green required for the good ending? I'd assume yes.

12-23-2017 at 09:07 PM
Dragon Fogel
That's right. Complete those levels and go back to Lonely Campsite and you get the good ending after clearing the final level (which you can skip if you've completed the hold before).
12-23-2017 at 09:42 PM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
I have the opposite question.

Suppose you want to *see* the various Not So Good Endings. Is it possible to actually have done too MUCH to see the worst possible Bad Ending, by the time you actually get to the point at which you can ask to skip to the endgame?
05-06-2020 at 03:47 AM
Dragon Fogel
While you can be locked out of seeing it from a particular load point, it is always possible to restore to see the entire bad ending.

05-06-2020 at 04:00 AM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Dragon Fogel wrote:
While you can be locked out of seeing it from a particular load point, it is always possible to restore to see the entire bad ending.

Does not answer the question.

Is it possible, BEFORE EVER HAVING GOTTEN TO THE LONELY CAMPSITE, to have locked oneself out of the Worst Ending, by doing every thing that is possible to have done before that point?

I have completed the game before... years ago... and forgotten how I did it, and am replaying through.

Is there, anywhere,

(a) a post listing the locations of all the actual various Things that are available (RCS stamps, Arky rooms, *whatever*), that are counted in "Lost Central Station: 1 East", and when (and in which chapter) they become actually available,
(b) any listing detailing when the various Chapters begin and end, upon the starting or completion of which areas,
(c) any details of at what point does it become possible to skip to the endgame?

[Last edited by JLE at 05-06-2020 04:28 AM]
05-06-2020 at 04:05 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
Once you've done all 6 levels that appear with a green marker on the maps, the good ending is guaranteed. Any fewer is the bad ending.

Well, technically, the epilogue has rooms that represent each of those levels. You see the good or bad version of the cutscene in each room depending on whether you've completed the associated level. But Beethro's narration over them only occurs if you get all six.

05-06-2020 at 04:36 AM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Good Ending?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com