Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Tower of Chaos (First stab at an RPG hold - features a different player role)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged

File: The Tower of Chaos Re-Fixed.drh (29.7 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Tower of Chaos (+2)  
In this hold, you don't play the Stalwart everybody knows and loves... instead, you play a weak peasant who is quite literally, defenseless.

The good news is that even in the first level, there are treasures to help fix that problem. The bad news is that you have to fight monsters while having extremely low stats before getting those bonuses.

All levels have been uploaded. As usual, please continue to leave feedback for improving the levels before this gets submitted to the HA process.

[Last edited by azb at 07-28-2017 09:15 PM : Changed final fight sequence]
06-24-2017 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
icon Re: The Tower of Chaos (+1)  
Finished!

Score:
Click here to view the secret text

Very fun! I beat this first attempt, but when I went back to try different strategies, most of them fell flat. There really aren't that many ways to beat the hold -- at least the correct path is pretty straightforward. (Is that what makes a hold easy? Who knows!)

If you make this hold more than two or three levels long, you'll run into a problem: keeping players on the treadmill. Since the player starts off so weak, and a single powerup can mean the difference between victory and defeat, it's really super easy for them to fall behind and have to restart. Sure, this applies to every hold, but it will apply to this hold even more since the margins are so small. I don't have a solution -- just pointing it out.

[Last edited by superluminal at 06-25-2017 12:20 AM]
06-25-2017 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: The Tower of Chaos (0)  
Dragon Nest Slain!

HP 14
ATK 11
DEF 6
Keys 1/0/0 (alternatively, I could change my YK for a GK, depending on what's in the next level)
Score: 83 (or 93)

Enjoyable level, not difficult but did require thinking about what order to do things. I look forward to seeing this continued :)

06-25-2017 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb

File: cross.png (672 bytes)
Downloaded 36 times.
Just like the Tower Exterior has Slime monsters inspired from TotS, the next level will have Zombies and a Cross inspired by the same game.

Here is the sprite for the Cross accessory I made. I tested and it the background is transparent in the editor, but does the non-transparent part look okay or do you think it needs polishing?

06-25-2017 at 03:19 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I beat this with exactly 12 more health than Nuntar (no other differences, though). I'm not too sure about the cross image you uploaded. I'm worried that it might be a little too white - a brown might be better. Other than that, it's good.
06-25-2017 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Okay, I updated the cross and built the second level. An updated version including those changes can be found at the top post.

07-01-2017 at 01:15 AM
Someone Else
Okay, I finished the second level:
HP: 165
ATK: 23
DEF: 16
No keys, 4 GR, have the cross. Not 100% sure what it does, but...
07-01-2017 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
The Cross duplicates the one in TotS. Try fighting Zombies with no cross and you should notice they have 90 HP instead of the 45 you saw with the Cross.

[Last edited by azb at 07-01-2017 04:19 AM]
07-01-2017 at 04:19 AM
azb
The third level has now been uploaded as well... there is a plethora of powerful health and attack bonuses, because the player will need them in order to finish the level and the last few levels after it.

07-01-2017 at 03:02 PM
Someone Else
Okay, I ended with 159/50/28, 21 GR and a yellow key... or by not taking the cross, I can end with about 50 less health but one more available green key.
07-01-2017 at 05:18 PM
Resert On
Rank Points: 37

File: unknown variabale.png (569.7 KB)
Downloaded 403 times.
Hmm... I'm not sure what the cross function because...

[Last edited by Resert On at 07-06-2017 12:20 PM]
07-06-2017 at 12:19 PM
azb
That image you are looking at was because I made a failed attempt at assigning new variables "ZombieHP" "ZombieGuardHP" and "DungeonMasterHP" to the three monsters affected by the cross, and using the cross to divide those variables by 2 globally.

If you check the scripts for the three monsters mentioned, you will notice I opted instead for them to wait until the player has the cross and then manually adjust their HP to what would mathematically be half.

Nevertheless, the old script you found should have been gone and I will remove it when I upload the next version.

07-07-2017 at 11:46 PM
Resert On
Rank Points: 37
Before I join to forum, I make this code:

This code can make your accessory's name visible. When touched, it will leaves a accessory slot. Just change 'Build Armor Slot' to 'Build Accessories Slot' and the Equipment to the equipment you want.

07-08-2017 at 12:33 AM
azb
Okay, I fixed the cross and modified the script for picking up the cross and a new accessory, the stick.

In addition, the fourth level has now been added.

07-08-2017 at 01:36 AM
azb
I suppose that from the lack of comments, it means there isn't any obvious flaws with the fourth level from the version currently attached. Now I will uploaded the last level and final boss fight(s) for the last stage of testing.

07-28-2017 at 04:08 AM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
It's not clear what the Chaos Fist does. And once you get the Grappling Hook, everything in 1W becomes accessible.
07-28-2017 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Similar to the cross in the dungeon, the Chaos Fist will reduce the two golem bosses' health in the fifth level. Try fighting them without it and notice how much more expected damage is predicted. Also, the exploit of the Grappling Hook is intended as without all the bonuses, the "gauntlet of bosses" that finish the hold would be unsolvable.

I will add a scroll in the dungeon announcing what the cross does and a scroll in the Chaos Dimension announcing what the Chaos Fist does to help players make their decisions.

[Last edited by azb at 07-28-2017 04:00 PM : Correction for accuracy]
07-28-2017 at 03:55 PM
Someone Else
In CD:Entrance, the Def gem pressure plate should probably close the door to the green key. I took no damage from anything on the level except the bosses. Was that intentional?
07-28-2017 at 04:53 PM
azb
Yes, I did intend for the defense gem to close the green key and vice versa. Fixed now.

Regarding the second one (not taking any damage except from bosses), how did you manage that? I don't believe I provided enough defense gems prior to the start of the fifth level to get at least 81 DEF (the ATK of Alchemists without their beam), even with the wooden shield.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is definitely intended, but I'm not the greatest RPG player and I managed to take serious blows from the monsters, so I don't intend on changing it because it would be too difficult or even impossible for those who don't manage your level of DEF.

[Last edited by azb at 07-28-2017 05:28 PM : Rephrased paragraph addressing second issue]
07-28-2017 at 05:26 PM
azb
After playtesting again, I find I can kill Golden Wubbas and Guardians (both Lesser and normal) with impunity, as well as Alchemists (once I have the wooden sword.) Is that what you found?

If yes, I will just leave it as is so that the hold isn't overly punishing on people who don't take the "best" path but take their own.

[Last edited by azb at 07-28-2017 05:54 PM]
07-28-2017 at 05:53 PM
Someone Else
No, it's that I have 70 ATK when entering the Chaos Dimension. I pick up the wooden sword, and I one-shot everything except the boss and the golden wubba. Of course, the mercenary hits me with his sword if I want that green key.

By the end of the level, I have 90 DEF.
07-28-2017 at 07:17 PM
azb
Okay, I'm fine with leaving the monsters as they are because of the bosses later on (the last three: 1st Offender, 1st Uniter and the King.) Were you able to beat the bosses and walk away with a ridiculous amount of health, or do you think they were the right difficulty to encourage the proper decisions?

07-28-2017 at 09:01 PM
azb
I just noticed that the script that gives you the Blue Key in Axial Fortress doesn't work as intended (gives you the key before you kill all of the guards/executioneers) and that you can beat the King without the aid of the small potion given to you. The next update fixes both.

07-28-2017 at 09:14 PM
azb
Regarding a post I wrote earlier (that I fixed the scroll error) I thought I did, but it turns out that after exporting the hold, the three lines of script I delete from the global script come back once I export the hold. Is this an intended feature? If not, I will start a topic on RPG Bugs about it.

07-28-2017 at 09:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Tower of Chaos (First stab at an RPG hold - features a different player role)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com