Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Small Question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
IP: Logged
icon Small Question (+1)  
Are these in-forum (caravel forum) emojis are copyrighted?

06-09-2017 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Small Question (+3)  
Resert On wrote:
Are these in-forum (caravel forum) emojis are copyrighted?
Probably somebody holds copyright to them, but I think the tougher question to answer is "can you use them?" And that is a tough one. If I'm not mistaken, the icons were licensed to Caravel as part of the tForum software that runs the CaravelNet forums (this webpage you are reading). And the tForum project no longer exists, so that makes it hard to check on permission for using the emojis beyond how they are used in the forum software.

If it were me trying to use emojis for my own project, I would google "public domain emojis" and find some that were clear for use. Public domain means that the owner has released the work for anyone to use without restriction.

Also there are Creative Commons emojis, but then you are supposed to include a Creative Commons notice when you distribute the emoji which is a little more work. When I say "distribute", I mean include it in a work you share pubicly, e.g. posting it here, on a web page, or any place that people besides you can look at it.

In truth, people are very unlikely to care if you use the forum emojis, but there is always a chance of running into trouble or offending someone if you don't have permission. When permission is hard to get, like it would be in this case, it's usually easier to find some other artwork that is public domain, Creative Commons, or has an author you can easily ask for permission.

-Erik

06-10-2017 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
icon Re: Small Question (0)  
If I use "hugedoor.ogg" in my hold, are my hold can rejected (due to copyright)?

Also, I make a character who the appearance like a citizen using sword. Are this okay to use it to my hold?

06-11-2017 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Resert On wrote:
If I use "hugedoor.ogg" in my hold, are my hold can rejected (due to copyright)?

Also, I make a character who the appearance like a citizen using sword. Are this okay to use it to my hold?
What project does hugedoor.ogg come from?

If it's from DROD:AE then it is public domain, and you don't need permission to use.

Re citizen artwork, that is from one of the other DROD games where Caravel retained copyrights and didn't license the artwork for public use. So you would need permission for that from Mike Rimer.

Like I said before, it's a hassle to get permission for these things. I recommend one of the following approaches for your projects...

1. Use media from DROD:AE. All of the media (oggs, wavs, pngs, jpgs) is in the public domain.
2. Make your own work from scratch.
3. Look at some of the mods other people on the forum have contributed and if one seems like a good starting point for your work, ask that person for permission to use. Or if they have already licensed it as public domain or creative commons, you don't need to ask permission.

...and if none of those work...

4. Email Caravel, describe the media ypu want to use, how your project will use it, and ask for permission.

This may seem frustratingly complicated, but it's all part of respecting people's work, and learning how to do it will serve you well. I'm taking the time to explain it, because I see you're trying, and I love your passion to be creative.

-Erik

06-11-2017 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On

File: mystery behind the blue color.png (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
ErikH2000 wrote:
Resert On wrote:

What project does hugedoor.ogg come from?

If it's from DROD:AE then it is public domain, and you don't need permission to use.

Re citizen artwork, that is from one of the other DROD games where Caravel retained copyrights and didn't license the artwork for public use. So you would need permission for that from Mike Rimer.

Like I said before, it's a hassle to get permission for these things. I recommend one of the following approaches for your projects...

1. Use media from DROD:AE. All of the media (oggs, wavs, pngs, jpgs) is in the public domain.
2. Make your own work from scratch.
3. Look at some of the mods other people on the forum have contributed and if one seems like a good starting point for your work, ask that person for permission to use. Or if they have already licensed it as public domain or creative commons, you don't need to ask permission.

...and if none of those work...

4. Email Caravel, describe the media ypu want to use, how your project will use it, and ask for permission.

This may seem frustratingly complicated, but it's all part of respecting people's work, and learning how to do it will serve you well. I'm taking the time to explain it, because I see you're trying, and I love your passion to be creative.

-Erik

Q:What project does hugedoor.ogg come from?
A:It's was from DROD:Jtrh

----------------------------------------
Also, what this annoying blue color in DROD: AE? Seems it for alpha blending.

(If the picture didn't show, you can download it in attached file. Also, if the picture too small, you can screenshot it and open paint then zoom it or use magnifier.)

[Last edited by Resert On at 06-11-2017 09:36 PM]
06-11-2017 at 09:33 PM
ErikH2000
Resert On wrote:
Also, what this annoying blue color in DROD: AE? Seems it for alpha blending.
Yeah, that's a good guess.

I can't remember offhand, but it is either a pixel color that will be replaced with an alpha-blended pixel by the game engine, or it is a pixel color that will look correct when the image is used with a specific tile style.

-Erik

06-11-2017 at 09:41 PM
Resert On
Where i can find app that can open:
*.bm_ ;
*.s3_ ;
*.mi_ .

06-13-2017 at 11:56 PM
Resert On
So, what the different about plagiarism and copyright infringement ?

06-17-2017 at 02:18 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Small Question (+1)  
Resert On wrote:
So, what the different about plagiarism and copyright infringement ?
Plagiarism - claim that someone else's work is yours
Copyright infringement - use someone else's work without the permission or right to do so.

06-19-2017 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
Resert On wrote: Also, I make a character who the appearance like a citizen using sword. Are this okay to use it to my hold?
You don't need to copy any graphics to do this. Select "Citizen" appearance from the list to the right of the script window, and add the command "Set var _MyWeapon = 0" to the script.

06-19-2017 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Are I can publish hard/easier version of KDD:Lite?

06-23-2017 at 11:23 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
Resert On wrote:

I was hoping to keep it under wraps until it was almost done, but you've kind of dragged it out of me. I've been working on a retool of KDD that hybridizes the 5.0 version with Flash DROD. I can't really complete it until all the episodes are released, but I'm actually proud of what I have so far.

06-24-2017 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Resert On
averagemoe wrote:
Resert On wrote:

I was hoping to keep it under wraps until it was almost done, but you've kind of dragged it out of me. I've been working on a retool of KDD that hybridizes the 5.0 version with Flash DROD. I can't really complete it until all the episodes are released, but I'm actually proud of what I have so far.

Well, actually I just asking. I was working for my own graphics for colorblind, my holds, and a hold for contest. No time for making a hold contains KDD:Lite because contest and the flash screen just showing black screen.

[Last edited by Resert On at 06-24-2017 05:42 AM]
06-24-2017 at 05:41 AM
Resert On
Okay, another question. Look at this page.

In that page, there has articles with pictures (i guess only DROD:AE monsters only has pictures). Are I can take it for the avatar in my hold?

07-22-2017 at 04:07 PM
azb
Rank Points: 460
I believe the images there are from back in the early era when the site was still drod.net (2003/2004), and are hand-drawn by ClaytonW.

Since I don't believe he is active anymore, it might be more trouble than it is worth to use his images unless the site admins (IE: mrimer, Schik, etc.) say it is fine to use the images within the community (such as your hold) only.

[Last edited by azb at 07-22-2017 05:44 PM]
07-22-2017 at 05:43 PM
Resert On
Where are DROD 2-5 datas (player data, hold data, etc) saved?

And

Where are DROD:AE datas (player data, hold data, etc) saved?

[Last edited by Resert On at 12-19-2017 02:11 PM]
07-24-2017 at 12:05 PM
azb
Rank Points: 460
DROD AE and 2 .dat files are stored in your Data folder inside your directory for the game.

DROD 3 and beyond are hidden in ProgramData/caravel/(insert drod version here) on my computer (Windows Vista), but I'm pretty sure varies between computers.

07-28-2017 at 01:19 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Small Question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com