Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #4
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon Blind Race #4 (+4)  
It’s time to start gearing up for the fourth DROD Blind Race!

As you probably all know by now, the blind race is an event in which a small group of architects make a short hold in secret which is then released to a group of runners who play through it all at the same time.

As always we need architects, testers, and runners to make this event a success.

Architects:
Build a small hold of not more than 6 brains difficulty. This should be possible to complete within half an hour or so. I will then compile 3 or 4 of these entries together to make the final race hold. Testing/discussion will take place on a private beta board, so architects will need to have a CaravelNet account.

Testers:
Once the drafts of the levels are done, testers will be able to access them and give feedback. Again, CNet will be needed to access the beta board.

Runners:
Runners need to be able to stream themselves playing through the hold. The first thing we need from the runners is an indication of when they will be able to run this. I hope that July or August will accommodate those with school schedules, so we will be aiming for some time during summer break.

Along with the runners, Jeff’s input is needed for determining the race time (if he is interested in doing the live commentary again.)

--------

Since I am the organiser this time around, I will not be running in the race itself. That being the case, I intend to make one of the entries for the race. If we look to be really short on runners for whatever reason, I guess someone else can take over as organiser so that I can run, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

--------

Architects:
*mauvebutterfly
*Xindaris
*bomber50
*ThemsAllTook

Testers:
*disoriented
*Insoluble
*IQubic
*Pekka

Runners:
*Lucky Luc
*Nuntar

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 06-04-2017 07:16 PM]
06-01-2017 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Blind Race #4 (0)  
Oh boy!
I already said a few times before I intend to architect a little of the next blind race, so consider me one of the level makers if that's alright.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

06-01-2017 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Unfortunately (for this context), this summer I have a part-time job where I work on the weekends, and it schedules shifts only about a week in advance, so it will be difficult for me to say whether I could make it to the race time or not, to participate as a runner. My guaranteed days off are on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I don't know how convenient that would be for the other runners, commentators, etc.

On the other hand, I would be happy to volunteer to build some rooms if you find yourself short on architects somehow.

So, I'm basically just waiting to see what develops here.

06-01-2017 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
If you need more testers feel free to invite me.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-01-2017 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I'm happy to do testing when the time for that comes.

06-01-2017 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
I'd be happy to run. I should hopefully have time for it, too.
06-01-2017 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I'd like to do some architecture for this race.
06-01-2017 at 10:36 PM
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
4th race? Sweet. I'll stay out of testing for this one, but Jeff hasn't been around for a while and I hope he is able to return before the race begins for commentating.
06-03-2017 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
I've been an architect, tester and organiser before, so I'd like to be a runner for this one :D

06-03-2017 at 06:52 PM
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
I'd be up for either architecture or testing. Probably would prefer to architect, if the level count isn't too high already.
06-03-2017 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
I'd like to be a tester for this. Because running isn't really my thing.

06-03-2017 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Looks like we have four people who have offered to be architects already. We definitely won't want more than that, since making too many rooms becomes a burden to the people running in the race.

Architects:
*Xindaris
*bomber50
*ThemsAllTook
*mauvebutterfly (myself)

I have sent beta invites to all the other architects, and once we have some progress on the levels I will invite testers to join. I am going to wait for now, since once somebody has seen the beta board they are no longer eligible to run in the race, so as we are still figuring the runners and the running time out I just want to give it some more time for us to wait and see how things are developing.

We do have two runners already, which is the minimum for this to actually be a race, but more are always welcome.

06-04-2017 at 10:14 AM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Blind Race #4 (+1)  
Add me to the list of testers too.
06-04-2017 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Wow. We've got some great rooms done up already! Seriously, this is going to be awesome, so you should all sign up to run in this thing ;)

I'm going to give the architects a few more days to make changes to things, and then this weekend I should be inviting the testers in to take a look at it.

The levels are already all done though, and the hold can be played through and finished, so it's just feedback and polish at this point.

As for the running time, I'd like to wait for a bit before setting anything, but the plan is still to run this sometime in the summer, so it will probably be in a month or two.

06-06-2017 at 05:53 AM
mauvebutterfly
I have invited the testers in to look at the race hold. I know that you are all probably busy with your wonderful titles from the June contest, so there's no hurry on this.

Obviously, since this is for a blind race, please only discuss the blind race hold in the beta forums, not in chat. We don't want the runners to know what they are up against ahead of time.

06-10-2017 at 03:34 AM
Lucky Luc
I'm very sorry, the long delay has been entirely my fault, but Nuntar and I finally decided on a date for this to take place: Local Time:07-26-2017 at 08:00 PM, which is roughly one week away at the time of posting this.

Even though it's a weekday, I hope that some of you fine folks will be able to join us. I'm definitely looking forward to it, should be fun! :)
07-20-2017 at 10:02 PM
mauvebutterfly
I don't mind, but that's 4am for me and I work the next day, so I'll need someone else to volunteer to upload the hold for you.

07-21-2017 at 03:03 PM
Xindaris
It's a pretty reasonable time of day for me, and I'm one of the architects anyway, so I might be able to do it.

07-21-2017 at 03:50 PM
mauvebutterfly
Thanks Xindaris.

I just ran through the hold again and re-uploaded it, so make sure that you've got the most recent version.

If something comes up and you can't do it, please let us know so that one of the other architects or testers can be responsible for posting the hold to this thread at the start of the race.

----------

Also this is a reminder that there is currently no commentary stream. Jeff usually does it, but he's been away for a few months now, so we won't have a commentary stream unless someone else wants to do it.

----------

Finally, could Nuntar and Lucky Luc please post their stream links here so everyone can see where to follow them during the race? Anyone else who is interested and can run during the aforementioned time is also most welcome to join in and post their stream here as well.

07-23-2017 at 02:11 PM
Lucky Luc
Right, sorry, I'll be streaming here: https://www.twitch.tv/lutetiumpotassiumarsenic

Also a quick reminder that this is still open for anyone to join right until it starts, in case anyone's having some free time this afternoon / tonight :)
07-26-2017 at 06:42 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'll give this a try at https://www.twitch.tv/balthro

Don't have the voice for commentary, unfortunately.
07-26-2017 at 07:39 PM
Xindaris

File: Blind Race 4 Hit the Four Running.hold (49.9 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
Here is the hold for the blind race. I'm holding everyone participating to waiting until the actual race time to really start the hold, but this should give everyone time to download it and get everything set up!

07-26-2017 at 07:50 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Doom is 1st with a time of 1:12:29.

Lucky Luc is 2nd with a time of 1:20:29.

Nuntar is 3rd with a time of 1:49:20.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 07-26-2017 09:59 PM]
07-26-2017 at 09:53 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: Blind Race 4 Hit the Four Running.demo (14.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
I was unable to stream due to technical problems -- should have spent more time making sure everything was ready, so I'm sorry about that. So I promised that, instead, I would write up my thoughts on all the rooms. I've attached my demo pack, with all except MM 6E solved.

Overall, this was a really fun hold -- indeed, I think it's the best of the race holds so far :thumbsup Thank you to everyone who took part in building and testing it!

07-26-2017 at 11:55 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
There's a dollar sign in the title of Mega Micropuzzle$ because it's a reference to Wario Ware. "Mega Microgame$" is the subtitle of the first game.
07-27-2017 at 01:59 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Alright, as promised I did manage to record a blind playthrough of the hold later that evening, to make up for missing the race proper. Hopefully my slightly panicked commentary makes for entertaining watching, and the footage should be instructive for both general puzzle-solving techniques and race time-saver techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQfm2BQJ4J8

Final time:

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-27-2017 05:23 AM]
07-27-2017 at 05:22 AM
Xindaris
1S in my level (possible room spoiler if you haven't played...)

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-27-2017 03:32 PM]
07-27-2017 at 03:25 PM
mauvebutterfly
Thanks for taking over with the race duties at the end there Xindaris. I'm glad everything worked out.

I'm sad that I had to sleep during the event, but I have now caught up on all the recordings that were made, as well as Nuntar's demos, and I greatly enjoyed watching all of them.

Great performance by the runners! Here's the part where I realise I never actually said anything about there being a rank point prize. Hopefully I can still get away with this. According to Nuntar's contest post, rank points are up for grabs on these blind races, so here goes:

Congrats to Doom for taking first place and winning 20 rank points!

In second place, Lucky Luc wins 15 rank points.

And in third Nuntar receives 10 rank points.

Due to work scheduling preventing him from technically participating, Chaco's work will be compensating him for his time (hopefully), and he also receives my admiration for an entertaining and skillful demonstration of how to destroy this contest hold.

(Do I message Schik about the rank points? I haven't done this before.)

--------

For interest, here is the breakdown of where jokers were used.

Claustrophobia 3E: 3
Claustrophobia 2E: 1
Friendly Faces 1N1E: 1
Friendly Faces 1N2E: 1
Gone in 60 Turns 1S: 1
Mega Micropuzzle$ 6E: 1

07-28-2017 at 02:08 PM
mauvebutterfly
There was a little bit of discussion regarding Claustrophobia 2W during the race. Since I was concerned about the hold taking too long to complete I ended up reverting this room to the version that allowed the unintended solution.

For those who want to try the intended solution:

C h a l l e n g e !
 Clear the room without herding a goblin into the narrow western exit of the room. 

07-28-2017 at 02:14 PM
Lucky Luc
For the sake of the archivists, my uncut stream footage can now also be found at https://youtu.be/MPECIdPBm-A
07-28-2017 at 02:23 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #4
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com