Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Neutral "anger-able" guards (Stalwarts + guards in one)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3094
IP: Logged
icon Neutral "anger-able" guards (0)  
Here's a simple monster request that isn't very easy to use built-in scripting to do:

I'd like to see a "team" of neutral soldiers that, at the start of the room, tracks down enemies just like stalwarts would, kills all of them, stands still if there's nothing to kill, etc. However, once the player directly kills any soldier, all soldiers immediately turn hostile, stop caring about monsters, and start trying to get to the player to kill them. They don't count as required monsters for green doors, room conquering, etc. whether they're friendly or hostile.

There's two handy uses for these I can immediately think of: first, after the player kills one, they are guard-like enemies that can use Stalwart/wisp-like pathfinding to go through arrows and other brain-visible obstacles to get to the player. Second, you can just plop these down in any castle/town area as stationary guards who stand around and guard the place, but go after Beethro when he kills one of them.

05-28-2017 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1123
icon Re: Neutral "anger-able" guards (0)  
This is a neat idea. I was totally with you up until this bit :

quote:
Chaco wrote: There's two handy uses for these I can immediately think of: first, after the player kills one, they are guard-like enemies that can use Stalwart/wisp-like pathfinding ...

Oh man. Can we please not make something else with terrible path mapping (TM).

05-28-2017 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 257
icon Re: Neutral "anger-able" guards (0)  
quote:
Chaco wrote:
Second, you can just plop these down in any castle/town area as stationary guards who stand around and guard the place, but go after Beethro when he kills one of them.

This just made me flash to playing Ultima (on like an Apple IIe or similar 30+ years ago?) and finally getting strong enough that I could take on those top-heavy castle/shop guards.

Thanks for the memories :)
05-29-2017 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Neutral "anger-able" guards (Stalwarts + guards in one)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com