Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Baba Is You (A puzzle game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon Baba Is You (+2)  
Baba Is You is a puzzle game on Itch.io. You can walk around on a grid and push things. Some of these things are words that make up the rules by which elements in the current level work. See here for some examples:

http://warpdoor.com/2017/05/19/baba-is-you-hempuli/

The game is available here:

https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you

It's Windows only and available for what you wish to pay ("Name your own price"). It was the author's entry for Nordic Game Jam 2017, and it did well ("Baba Is Win!").
05-23-2017 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: Baba Is You (0)  
Free?

05-27-2017 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
Done.

That's a very intriguing concept! I really enjoyed how the game exploits them to the fullest extent in the last few levels. :thumbsup
05-27-2017 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Wow. I want to play this, but I just got a Mac now.

The rule words are a very clever idea.

-Erik

05-29-2017 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mtomato
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Hempuli is working on a proper full version of this game, and I'm pretty excited for it.

[Last edited by mtomato at 05-29-2017 11:59 PM]
05-29-2017 at 11:58 PM
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Here's a trailer for the full version.

And here is the Steam page so you can already wishlist it for the planned summer 2018 release, if you want.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/

It is being made with Multimedia Fusion 2, per the Steam page, which might mean it'll remain a Windows-only game.

Update: The developer said on Steam discussion about a possible Linux version that he would like to support both Mac and Linux. Windows will be his priority, but wait and see.

[Last edited by Pekka at 03-09-2018 10:58 AM : note about possible Linux & Mac versions]
12-14-2017 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Movac
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
icon Re: Baba Is You (+3)  
Update: the full version of Baba Is You will be released in just a few hours! Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steam and itch.io, as well as the Nintendo Switch eshop.
03-13-2019 at 02:38 PM
uncopy2002
The full game descends into 200IQ puzzle play very quickly from the start. There are already some cosmic brain mind-bending puzzles in the 3rd area, and that's just like 20 levels in.

And I peeked at the later areas and there are much more madness awaiting. I suspect it might even be harder than SSR.
03-13-2019 at 06:49 PM
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
This is really really fun. Highly recommend, especially if you enjoyed the fiendish puzzles and cute visuals of Snakebird.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-14-2019 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Baba Is You (+2)  
Well...I probably have a fraction of 200 IQ, but I just learned about this game and it looks great!

I think I read a review on Polygon, and it was described something like "a game you are playing even when you're not playing it", because it purportedly shares the DROD effect where you solve puzzles by stepping away from the game whenever you're stuck.

Maybe will pick it up on the Switch to try it out with the kids.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-14-2019 02:49 PM]
03-14-2019 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Baba Is You (+3)  
I shouldn't be surprised so many beat me to the punch on this one. It's only been out on Steam a few days now, but it's a great game and it's right up DROD-players' alley!

Not many rooms seem to have multiple solutions, despite suffering from the too-many-combos-effect that DROD shares. Really well put-together, and fun.

BA
BA
​ ​ ​ ​ IS ​ ​ ​ ​ YOU

IS

WIN

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-17-2019 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
uncopy2002 wrote:
The full game descends into 200IQ puzzle play very quickly from the start. There are already some cosmic brain mind-bending puzzles in the 3rd area, and that's just like 20 levels in.

And I peeked at the later areas and there are much more madness awaiting. I suspect it might even be harder than SSR.

SSR?

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

03-17-2019 at 01:04 AM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
Stephen's Sausage Roll. Another delight.

03-17-2019 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Pearls wrote:
Stephen's Sausage Roll. Another delight.
Oh! Yes, still working on that one.

As for Baba, I've found a number of hilarious US. Probably the most funny is that there's a
when the actual solution was intended to be a
combination elsewhere. This could easily have been avoided with a fence to the north of BABA.

Still, it's surprising how most rooms seem to admit only one solution. Not an easy task when there's as much meta-modification as Baba allows.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

03-24-2019 at 04:40 PM
uncopy2002
I think Hempuli is aware of them and will tweak (read: fixing massive cheeses) those levels in future updates, or even split them into normal/secret variants (there were a level or two that has received this treatment post-release).
03-24-2019 at 11:55 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
uncopy2002 wrote:
I think Hempuli is aware of them and will tweak (read: fixing massive cheeses) those levels in future updates, or even split them into normal/secret variants (there were a level or two that has received this treatment post-release).
More or less like this?

03-25-2019 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Baba Is You (+5)  
I'm an indeterminate fraction of the way through (working on cavern, missing higher numbers here and there in prior areas), and it's great. BUT - I've figured out what makes it still feel a little loose to me. Preliminary thoughts on turn order in the secret tag, with basic spoilers for the above.

03-29-2019 at 07:47 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Baba is great. Each new word has horrifying potential. And there's a lot more content than you'd expect from a game like this. I think my playtime was something like 1.6x sausage rolls or 5.0x snakebirds.

I didn't find the rule inconsistencies as jarring as Dischorran did, although there are admittedly a couple of special cases.
Dischorran wrote:

04-01-2019 at 07:57 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Yeah, I have never run into the issue Dischorran's talking about, Doom, and I'm...uh.

...I'm pretty far in, I think.
05-02-2019 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Baba Is You (+4)  
Bumping this thread to forward the announcement that the Baba Is You level editor / sharing system is now in public beta:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736260/announcements/detail/2944755587976962253
https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-level-editor-beta

I look forward to further galaxy-brain sentences and expanded universes from everyone.

12-14-2020 at 05:40 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
I lost interest when I found out that there's RNG involved in the actual gameplay. This is one of those things Eric calls a "stepper game" and the RNG has no business in those except for purely cosmetic purposes.

Of course, maybe I could make a statement by publishing a level that's only possible to complete in theory, by leaving the player completely at the RNGs mercy.

Hmm, Empty is Dust, Dust is Not Dust, level with Dust not facing up is defeat, Kiki is Seldom Ghost, Ghost is Kiki, Level With Kiki and Ghost is Defeat, Me is Often Robot, Robot is Me, Level with Me and Robot is Defeat, Text is Chill. Plus anything else to make the player spend as long as possible in the level.

Think that would force them to reconsider the notion? After that, I'll go after the Auto rule.

01-12-2021 at 05:12 AM
ErikH2000
What is RNG?

-Erik

01-12-2021 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Random Number Generator.

I will say that, although it seems like RNG is used to solve some extreme edge cases and tiebreaks when it's not obvious what should happen, I'm pretty sure I never had to worry about it at all in the main campaign, because it tends to use DROD-style lynchpin thinking of "what if I can manage to do this one, neat, central idea" in order to break through a conceptual wall.

01-12-2021 at 05:23 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
There's one level where randomness is relevant in the main game, and the impact is pretty minor. If the thing that you want to happen doesn't happen, there's nothing getting in the way of trying again.

I don't especially care for it being a thing either, but I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying the game. If someone makes a level that uses randomness in an obnoxious way, I just won't play the level.
01-12-2021 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
I've 100% completed the main game now and I found it as satisfying as one of the main DROD games. It's really impressive as a one person project.

The tiny bit of randomness didn't spoil the enjoyment for me.

I'd like to highlight a Whoa! moment from BABA that strongly reminded me of a Whoa! moment from DROD.

BABA

2NDSKY

Highly recommended for Drodsters.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 05-28-2021 10:08 PM]
05-28-2021 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: Baba Is You (+1)  
I see that Baba is You has now made it to mobile telephonic devices; available on iOS and Android.

(No cloud saves, which is a little disappointing for a game like this where I'd like to be able to noodle at a level on whichever device I happen to be using, but hey, still good news.)
06-26-2021 at 09:01 AM
Dragon Fogel
The level editor is officially released! This may be of particular interest to people here.

Apparently there are issues where a few levels in the included new level pack are unsolvable, though, so anyone who wants to try those out may want to wait a little bit for them to be fixed.
11-18-2021 at 01:25 AM
ErikH2000
Dragon Fogel wrote:
The level editor is officially released! This may be of particular interest to people here.
Hmm. Will changes I make to the Rules of Reality be confined to the game? That's my chief concern when you say there are some "issues" in it.

-Erik

11-18-2021 at 02:25 AM
Dragon Fogel
Well, the patch is out.

I assume they resolved the issues by adding the rule LEVEL IS SOLVABLE.
11-18-2021 at 04:14 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Baba Is You (A puzzle game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com